Criterion BR/DVD 50% Off SRP

Deal Link:
Savings:
50% Off
Expiry:
October 18, 2017
Retailer:
Criterion
All BluRays/DVD's on Criterion Webstore are 50% off for the next 24 hours. Get the good stuff before its gone!

Promo code: COOP
18 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11036 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto
I used to love Criterion stuff back in the heyday of DVD. Have to imagine they are really hurting with this quick push to digital media. Unfortunately I just don't see the value of investing in discs anymore. If I could add their movies and documentaries cheaply to my digital library on Google store, I would love to do that. Also, the days when I am willing to pay more than $15 for a movie are long gone. Just my view as a cinema buff.

But, upvoted this thread as I was once a big Criterion fan.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
7635 posts
1450 upvotes
Trump University
Salo and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders! :D
** Yes, I'm Italian! ** 😎
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
3532 posts
1148 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 3:25 pm
I used to love Criterion stuff back in the heyday of DVD. Have to imagine they are really hurting with this quick push to digital media. Unfortunately I just don't see the value of investing in discs anymore. If I could add their movies and documentaries cheaply to my digital library on Google store, I would love to do that. Also, the days when I am willing to pay more than $15 for a movie are long gone. Just my view as a cinema buff.

But, upvoted this thread as I was once a big Criterion fan.
My thoughts exactly. Great sale for those interested though, thanks OP.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11036 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto
Although it's hard for me to recommend buying physical media anymore (I don't think Blu Ray players will be around in 10 years), I encourage anyone with a serious interest in challenging and "art" cinema to find a way to watch some of these great films that Criterion owns the rights to.

So many great films... Life of Brian, Repo Man, Barry Lyndon, etc. I could easily name 50 must watch titles from their website. Unfortunately most of them are not available on Netflix or streaming services.

If Criterion wants to survive and flourish, it needs to start to focus more and more on digital.. Add Google Play store support, not just iTunes. And prices will need to drop, $15 to $20 with all extras is the sweet spot for most of these titles to sell.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
7635 posts
1450 upvotes
Trump University
TBH they're actually smart! Because they mainly have niche films so the films will never be consumed by the masses so to maximize profit they have to price high

For instance if they sell Salo for $40 maybe 1 out of 1000 people will be interested in buying it. And if they sell Salo for $10 only 1 out of 1000 will be interested in buying it. It won't jump like 5x to make up for the discount

Anyways Salo seems to be banned from all the digital stores :D
** Yes, I'm Italian! ** 😎
Jun 8, 2008
464 posts
42 upvotes
Yes, although Amazon has some good pricing as well right now... i.e. Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me works out to less than the deal price from Criterion, if you have Prime.
Mar 23, 2017
23 posts
13 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 3:42 pm
Although it's hard for me to recommend buying physical media anymore (I don't think Blu Ray players will be around in 10 years), I encourage anyone with a serious interest in challenging and "art" cinema to find a way to watch some of these great films that Criterion owns the rights to.

So many great films... Life of Brian, Repo Man, Barry Lyndon, etc. I could easily name 50 must watch titles from their website. Unfortunately most of them are not available on Netflix or streaming services.

If Criterion wants to survive and flourish, it needs to start to focus more and more on digital.. Add Google Play store support, not just iTunes. And prices will need to drop, $15 to $20 with all extras is the sweet spot for most of these titles to sell.
If you have a Toronto Library card their streaming collection is free! It has about 350 titles, so not the whole collection but a lot of good film.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11036 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto
Snowcrash01 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:21 pm
If you have a Toronto Library card their streaming collection is free! It has about 350 titles, so not the whole collection but a lot of good film.
Awesome. I certainly do have a Toronto library card. Was not aware that I could stream movies. Thank you!
Mar 17, 2015
86 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Snowcrash01 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:21 pm
You just improved the quality of my life with one sentence. Thank you!
Mar 23, 2017
23 posts
13 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:23 pm
Awesome. I certainly do have a Toronto library card. Was not aware that I could stream movies. Thank you!
Yes, the TPL provides a lot of great services. Another pro-tip is free access to Lynda.com, where they have thousands of high quality courses for free.
Apr 18, 2005
261 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
VPL (Vancouver) also has access to the streaming library. Unfortunately they only stream in SD, not HD.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11036 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto
Quinoa wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 4:42 pm
VPL (Vancouver) also has access to the streaming library. Unfortunately they only stream in SD, not HD.
TPL only streams in SD too. Still nice that they have this available.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)