Site Comments & Suggestions

Criticism: "All Hot Deals" forum is not full of any such thing.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 4:31 pm
Tags:

Poll: Make "Hot Deals" actually hot again.

• Total votes: 9. You have voted on this poll.
Yes please

56%
No, and what are celery prices in Moncton, thank you?

44%

Poll ended at Jul 12th, 2019 12:26 am

[OP]
Oct 11, 2012
23 posts
14 upvotes

Criticism: "All Hot Deals" forum is not full of any such thing.

Hey folks, can we all agree that what qualifies as a "hot deal" and the "all hot deals" forum are being spammed by deals that are really more "meh deal" and "that's not even a deal"? Here's what I'm seeing there right now, to illustrate the point:
  • A car lease listing for Subaru - absolutely no context around whether it's actually a deal or not
  • Something that looks basically like an announcement that a dollar store has a certain kind of item; this isn't a deal it's a statement
  • A BBQ scraper for a certain price - so you don't get steel in your steak, that's a good deal, but - it's $5, short of that being 75% off this isn't a deal it's an ad
  • A deal on celery in the GTA; this site doesn't cater to the GTA. It's not a deal if I have to spend $360 flying there and back just to save $5 on celery
  • A deal if you switch your entire bank to another bank; I tried this once and failed miserably. Moving banks isn't a deal, it's a PITA (the acronym, not the delicious flatbread)
Let's face it: the hot deals forum is in danger of hypothermia right now. Can we all vote yea or nay on the site owners doing something to move it at least to "luke warm"?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17683 posts
2376 upvotes
Langley
BRB, gotta go get my "MJ eating popcorn" meme.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21595 posts
7510 upvotes
gfair2 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 12:26 am
Something that looks basically like an announcement that a dollar store has a certain kind of item; this isn't a deal it's a statement
Some of the more recent dollar store threads have been deals.
I picked up a car vent phone holder for $4 at FourDollarama. They're selling for $10+ everywhere else.
A BBQ scraper for a certain price - so you don't get steel in your steak, that's a good deal, but - it's $5, short of that being 75% off this isn't a deal it's an ad
That's not that bad considering retail scrapers are more than $5.
A deal on celery in the GTA; this site doesn't cater to the GTA. It's not a deal if I have to spend $360 flying there and back just to save $5 on celery
GTA is the center of the universe. Everyone lives there.
A deal if you switch your entire bank to another bank; I tried this once and failed miserably. Moving banks isn't a deal, it's a PITA (the acronym, not the delicious flatbread)
Who said you have to switch your entire bank? Keep your existing bank and do exactly the bare minimum to achieve the bonus.
I have accounts at 4 different banks now but only really use one.
Let's face it: the hot deals forum is in danger of hypothermia right now. Can we all vote yea or nay on the site owners doing something to move it at least to "luke warm"?
That's basically what downvotes are for.
If you see a deal that has -300 downvotes it's probably not a deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4512 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto
gfair2 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 12:26 am
Hey folks, can we all agree that what qualifies as a "hot deal" and the "all hot deals" forum are being spammed by deals that are really more "meh deal" and "that's not even a deal"? Here's what I'm seeing there right now, to illustrate the point:
  • A car lease listing for Subaru - absolutely no context around whether it's actually a deal or not
  • Something that looks basically like an announcement that a dollar store has a certain kind of item; this isn't a deal it's a statement
  • A BBQ scraper for a certain price - so you don't get steel in your steak, that's a good deal, but - it's $5, short of that being 75% off this isn't a deal it's an ad
  • A deal on celery in the GTA; this site doesn't cater to the GTA. It's not a deal if I have to spend $360 flying there and back just to save $5 on celery
  • A deal if you switch your entire bank to another bank; I tried this once and failed miserably. Moving banks isn't a deal, it's a PITA (the acronym, not the delicious flatbread)
I don't entirely agree with your points, but I agree that it might be helpful to leverage the voting system more - for example only allowing users to post to a "Deals" forum, and only deals that get a certain number of net positive votes get moved to "Hot Deals".
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11579 posts
21123 upvotes
Scarborough
A “hot deal” is and always has been very subjective. The definition has also changed a lot since this website has been around but there has never been specific criteria in place that a deal would have to meet in order to be shared. Going solely off of votes, most deals seem to be positively received.

If we limited it only deals that we knew for a fact would score really well, there would be a huge reduction in deals being shared. For example only 64 Hot Deals forum threads out of 1,800 currently sit at 50+ (3.5%).

Yes, you did bring up a few examples of deals that might not be hot to a significant amount of people, but simply stopping them from being shared would be a huge disservice to those that might be interested.

Currently there’s an average of 50-60 new deal threads being shared each day (1.5 pages at 40 threads per page view). In my opinion that is not so many that I’d consider it “being spammed”. Viewing the forum for newest to oldest, would likely only take someone a minute to catch up on everything from the past 24 hours.

We are in the process of making some changes which I feel will greatly benefit members like yourself. You’ll be able to setup criteria to personalize your view which means you should see more of the deals you want to, and less of the deals you don’t. You’d be able to select deal categories, retailers, and other criteria to filter your view by (score possibly being one of them).

Hopefully this and other upcoming changes will help make your RFD experience better once they get added in.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
May 10, 2008
154 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Aside from cold deals, another thing that can cause hypothermia is inactivity.

Regardless of how good the deal is to me, it was posted by a real person who put in time and effort in hopes that it might help somebody save money. As someone who is often too lazy to post deals that I come across, I really appreciate that. I would much rather see deals that are lukewarm than no posts at all, in which case I might just visit the Hot Deals section once a week if there is very little activity.

The thread topics there are pretty clear so I just quickly skim through and click on the deals I'm interested in....so I think it's fine the way it is!
Mar 2, 2008
750 posts
806 upvotes
BC
You need to start using the "Hide this thread" feature. Just takes one click for each thread you're not interested in, and you never need to see it again.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1267 posts
1463 upvotes
Pre-ordered at regular price posts need to be removed. Playstation Plus monthly free games threads don't belong.
Sep 27, 2003
9551 posts
2278 upvotes
Newmarket
User381785 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2019 4:23 pm
Pre-ordered at regular price posts need to be removed. Playstation Plus monthly free games threads don't belong.
If the community believes a deal to not be hot (or even a deal, period), then they have the ability to vote it down.

If the community doesn't wish to see a specific thread, they have the ability to hide it.
RFD Forums Moderator
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11579 posts
21123 upvotes
Scarborough
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 2:05 pm
If the community believes a deal to not be hot (or even a deal, period), then they have the ability to vote it down.

If the community doesn't wish to see a specific thread, they have the ability to hide it.
While we do have options available to better everyones view, they can (and will be) improved in the future. One of my hopeful filtering options will include "Pre-orders".
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Mar 2, 2008
750 posts
806 upvotes
BC
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 2:05 pm

I think you should re-read what you wrote here and consider issuing a different response.
Sep 27, 2003
9551 posts
2278 upvotes
Newmarket
brghunter wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 4:04 pm
I think you should re-read what you wrote here and consider issuing a different response.
I'm content with my response, which is in line with the direction the administration intends to take.

As @TomRFD has just stated, the eventual goal is to add additional filtering options to Hot Deals. That way, if someone in the community doesn't like a particular post, it can be filtered out.
RFD Forums Moderator
Mar 2, 2008
750 posts
806 upvotes
BC
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 4:22 pm
I'm content with my response, which is in line with the direction the administration intends to take.

As @TomRFD has just stated, the eventual goal is to add additional filtering options to Hot Deals. That way, if someone in the community doesn't like a particular post, it can be filtered out.
What you wrote could be fairly interpreted as "Post anything you want in the Hot Deals forums. The users can then downvote or hide your thread if they wish."

I wasn't implying anything about what Tom wrote, nor does it have any bearing on your original comment in the context of my suggestion.