[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
gheart008 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 3:03 am
1) As many have mentioned, it's mainly your composition that you need to work on. When I picked up photography, the first thing I picked up was a book on composition, this one specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye ... 882&sr=8-1

Amazing book and taught me many things that I didn't already know.

2) For the pics where you are close up to your car, increase your aperture to blur out the background so that focus is purely on the car.

3) If you want some cool effects, try taking pics like this:

If I can remember correctly, that was taken with a 1.6s shutter speed and f/2.8.

4) Weird how it's still blurry even with a tripod. 30s exposure is a bit overkill for those types of shots. What tripod is it? Don't cheap out on your tripod especially when taking shots with wind.

5) I personally don't like photoshopped photos. The best pics are the ones that are straight from the camera with perfect composition and exposure. Any noticeable photoshopping ruins any picture for me, but that's just me.
Thanks; I will need to pick up that book.

The tripod was a cheap $20 one from XS Cargo :

http://www2.shopxscargo.com/product_cat ... ccessories

I never really though a tripod would make much of a difference; should I just add some weight to the feet in the future to keep it from moving in the wind?

I was fooling around with my camera last night; but I found f 3.5 does a pretty poor job of producing bokeh as well. Is it something I might be doing; but I only find good bokeh with this lens when I am 6 inches away from an object. Also would making my focusing point make a difference in the picture I posted (only have 1 point focusing on the vehicle as oposed to the whole image)?
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
In regards to your post about bokeh at F3.5:

Bokeh is in fact created by several different things. Larger apertures (smaller F-Stops) is just one aspect of it. The distance of the camera from the subject, and the distance of the camera from the background is also important in creating bokeh. The closer the subject is to the camera and the further away the background is the more bokeh that is created.

Try it out!

Take a photo of something far away at F3.5 and you won't notice too much bokeh. But now try taking a photo of your other hand (which is very close to the camera) and the background (which is far away compared to your hand) becomes blurred with a nice pleasing bokeh.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4588 posts
243 upvotes
Burnaby
sfu_engineer wrote:
Jul 18th, 2008 1:14 am
In regards to your post about bokeh at F3.5:

Bokeh is in fact created by several different things. Larger apertures (smaller F-Stops) is just one aspect of it. The distance of the camera from the subject, and the distance of the camera from the background is also important in creating bokeh. The closer the subject is to the camera and the further away the background is the more bokeh that is created.

Try it out!

Take a photo of something far away at F3.5 and you won't notice too much bokeh. But now try taking a photo of your other hand (which is very close to the camera) and the background (which is far away compared to your hand) becomes blurred with a nice pleasing bokeh.
Yup this is dead on. That's why I mentioned for the close up shots, you can definitely create more bokeh in those.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the advice. My car is out of commision but I will taking another photoshoot I guess today.

Anyone know where I can pick up a f1.8 50mm cheap in Canada?
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
Asad_A203 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 2:23 am
Thanks for the advice. My car is out of commision but I will taking another photoshoot I guess today.

Anyone know where I can pick up a f1.8 50mm cheap in Canada?
Used Canon 50mm F1.8's go for $100 or under on Craigslist. Brand new it ranges from $110 to $129 before taxes.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Feb 26, 2006
475 posts
74 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 8:44 pm
The tripod was a cheap $20 one from XS Cargo :

http://www2.shopxscargo.com/product_cat ... ccessories

I never really though a tripod would make much of a difference; should I just add some weight to the feet in the future to keep it from moving in the wind?
I have that same tri-pod, what I've used is a 5lb yoga ball in a plastic bag hung from that hook in the bottom-center of the tripod, that should give you some more stability, but it might not stop the vibrations. Also try using the 2-second delay so that you don't move the camera when you press the shutter release.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
sfu_engineer wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 4:05 am
Used Canon 50mm F1.8's go for $100 or under on Craigslist. Brand new it ranges from $110 to $129 before taxes.

Im going to go pick one up tommorow.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
JVM wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 1:37 pm
I have that same tri-pod, what I've used is a 5lb yoga ball in a plastic bag hung from that hook in the bottom-center of the tripod, that should give you some more stability, but it might not stop the vibrations. Also try using the 2-second delay so that you don't move the camera when you press the shutter release.
Thanks for the awseome suggestion; I was wondering what that hook was used for (storage).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Just got the 50mm f 1.8 II; it is an awseome lens. The bokeh it has is crazy; can't wait to take some pics with the new lens. Here is one at f1.8 1/100 with flash of my sister's stuffed animal:

[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/Canon/cookie.jpg[/IMG]

I know picture is crap but the bokeh is awseome which was what I was testing out. Should work pretty good for car pictures :D .