Careers

Critique My Resume Please - looking for internships

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2018 5:29 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2018
1 posts

Critique My Resume Please - looking for internships

I'm a student looking for internships. I have no real work experience in mechanical engineering. It's just been studies and projects up to this point so I am stuck on how my resume should be like. Please advise me on how to improve my resume. Thanks.
Images
  • Critique my Resume-1.jpg
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1467 posts
518 upvotes
Tokyo
These are what we look for when it comes to interns (as they are literally hundreds of applicants for every opening):
-extra-curricular
-gpa
-prior experience
-any differentiation that makes you more unique
Jun 18, 2018
14 posts
5 upvotes
For relevant skills, I am not a big fan of the bar fill graphic as a recruiter wouldn't be able to tell the difference between some of them in terms of experience. I would use proficiency levels instead (basic, working, etc.) Also an overall suggestion, I would focus more on quantifying what you accomplished, as it is a much more convincing. Sometimes you can't, but typically if it's project related, you can.

Also as most current students or even new grads, the lack of work experience does make it very difficult. My best suggestion is to network with your profs or company reps that offer internships as your way in. Worse comes to worse, look at jobs that can offer transferable skills to Mechanical Engineering, that you can later leverage. What that is specifically I can't tell you as I don't know the answer myself... but could be an interesting conversation to have with your profs or company reps.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20974 posts
7797 upvotes
Ottawa
Electrah wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 3:05 pm
For relevant skills, I am not a big fan of the bar fill graphic as a recruiter wouldn't be able to tell the difference between some of them in terms of experience. I would use proficiency levels instead (basic, working, etc.) Also an overall suggestion, I would focus more on quantifying what you accomplished, as it is a much more convincing. Sometimes you can't, but typically if it's project related, you can.

Also as most current students or even new grads, the lack of work experience does make it very difficult. My best suggestion is to network with your profs or company reps that offer internships as your way in. Worse comes to worse, look at jobs that can offer transferable skills to Mechanical Engineering, that you can later leverage. What that is specifically I can't tell you as I don't know the answer myself... but could be an interesting conversation to have with your profs or company reps.
+1, not a fan of bar or any types of graphs on a resume.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2438 posts
463 upvotes
Edmonton
So why did you out CNC, mills, and lathes???
According to your graph for those, you are a 3rd year or 4th year machinist?

If your looking for work as a machinist, change the rest of the stuff, if your looking for work as an engineer, you probably don't need that stuff (not to mention your bars should be alot alot.lower
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)