Cross-Border US Banking and Credit Cards Mega-Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 12:33 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 13, 2005
330 posts
171 upvotes
Anyone with a RBC visa: Does the card report on your Equifax (US) & TU (US) reports?
For me, it's only showing up on my Experian. I've had it open for more than a year.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
1223 posts
1008 upvotes
Montreal
pseudosammich wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 10:25 am
I opened a RBC USA account + their credit card as part of their 6 month fee free promotion.

Just curious if anyone knows that whether or not I have to have a active checking account opened with them to keep the credit card?
I might just close the checking account after the 6 month period and use TD Bank's instead.
You do not need a checking or savings account with RBC Bank to get or keep one of their credit cards. I signed up for the Signature Visa without signing up for another account.
Jun 29, 2015
156 posts
102 upvotes
Canada Eh?
efrant wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 10:51 am
You do not need a checking or savings account with RBC Bank to get or keep one of their credit cards. I signed up for the Signature Visa without signing up for another account.
Thanks! The way these guy's listed their credit card on the website made it seem like it was mandatory. Always good to hear real life experiences from RFD-ers Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Note: To sign up for a Visa Signature Black credit card, you must open or already have an RBC Bank U.S. bank account.
Dec 16, 2017
954 posts
351 upvotes
Raincouver
habsfan9 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 10:49 am
Anyone with a RBC visa: Does the card report on your Equifax (US) & TU (US) reports?
For me, it's only showing up on my Experian. I've had it open for more than a year.
do you attach ITIN to it? For some reason I do see on my Equifax tho
Feb 17, 2017
688 posts
405 upvotes
Calgary
pseudosammich wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 10:53 am
Thanks! The way these guy's listed their credit card on the website made it seem like it was mandatory. Always good to hear real life experiences from RFD-ers Smiling Face With Open Mouth
It used to be but they changed their policy some time ago.
Feb 17, 2017
688 posts
405 upvotes
Calgary
G0DKING wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 3:57 pm
To be clear, if I signed up for a RBC Visa Signature Black CC with Canadian address, it will never report to US Equifax, TU, and/or Experian so long as it's never updated with a US address, correct
It'll report but won't link up with any other accounts you have (and you'll essentially have two credit files but the RBC one won't really be accessible by anyone).
Temp. Banned
Dec 9, 2014
1138 posts
345 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 12:38 am
It'll report but won't link up with any other accounts you have (and you'll essentially have two credit files but the RBC one won't really be accessible by anyone).
And when I update it with a US address, is it retroactive (i.e. the credit file updates with the date I opened my RBC CC) or does it only start counting from when I updated it with a US address
Apr 13, 2005
330 posts
171 upvotes
G0DKING wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:50 am
And when I update it with a US address, is it retroactive (i.e. the credit file updates with the date I opened my RBC CC) or does it only start counting from when I updated it with a US address
It starts reporting from the day your account was opened.
So if you decide to change your address 2 years from now, and pull up your US credit reports then.. It will have your RBC as reporting from 2018.
May 16, 2017
290 posts
276 upvotes
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 12:38 am
On my Experian credit report, it lists my old RBC Centura VISA card and a credit line for a cruise line art gallery (neither of which EVER had a US address) and has my new RBC VISA (which does have a US address) and my Banner Bank (which does NOT have my US address). The former 2 were closed before I opened that latter 2 a few years later. There are multiple ways to associate a person with a credit file beyond SSN/ITIN (name, addresses - including Canadian addresses which can and do get reported to US credit reporting agencies, date of birth, SIN mixed-up with SSN, etc). There is no assurance it won't be reported but there is also no way to assure you can access a credit file without an SSN or US address.
Temp. Banned
Dec 9, 2014
1138 posts
345 upvotes
robsaw wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 4:15 pm
On my Experian credit report, it lists my old RBC Centura VISA card and a credit line for a cruise line art gallery (neither of which EVER had a US address) and has my new RBC VISA (which does have a US address) and my Banner Bank (which does NOT have my US address). The former 2 were closed before I opened that latter 2 a few years later. There are multiple ways to associate a person with a credit file beyond SSN/ITIN (name, addresses - including Canadian addresses which can and do get reported to US credit reporting agencies, date of birth, SIN mixed-up with SSN, etc). There is no assurance it won't be reported but there is also no way to assure you can access a credit file without an SSN or US address.
Is it just on your Experian that it lists the accounts that have never had a US address
And does anyone know of any US credit checking sites that allow you to input a Canadian address so as to locate your file
May 16, 2017
290 posts
276 upvotes
G0DKING wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 4:38 pm
Is it just on your Experian that it lists the accounts that have never had a US address
And does anyone know of any US credit checking sites that allow you to input a Canadian address so as to locate your file
I've only very recently also been able to bring-up a Transunion (US) Credit Report via 3rd-party - doesn't work directly with Transunion funny enough; and Transunion shows only my two most recent cards going back to only when my RBC VISA started reporting my US address at the start of 2018. The Banner Bank Mastercard reports on Transunion too - but once again I believe it is because Banner submits the SIN as an SSN even though they initially do credit-check via Canadian Bureau. You must have a US address of some sort to even attempt to access a US credit file and I would suggest it is only because I get a hit with my name, DoB, address matching up with my RBC VISA that it then takes my SIN (as SSN) and matches to the Banner Bank Mastercard. Without the former there is likely no chance the latter would ever be linked together.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1174 posts
112 upvotes
Ajax
Ron wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 12:04 am
I sent my ITIN letter with my Canadian address. Got approved a few hours later.

The ITIN letter is used as proof that the ITIN really belongs to you. It is not used for the address.
Did you also have to send in a bank statement alongside your ITIN? And when you say a few hours later, did you have to call them back to let them know you uploaded it or they just received it, processed and it sent you the card?
Jul 21, 2012
12 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO
I will continue to reside in Canada...however, I will be working primarily in the US during the week.

I currently bank with RBC, but I don't think RBC has any ATMs in the US (unless I'm mistaken). I remember seeing a ton of TD ATMs, however.

Should I open a US bank account with TD? Or stick with RBC? Any suggestions on how I should go about setting this up?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3828 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
I assume you'll have the proper visa clearance to work there? Banks may ask for your I-94/EAD, and will ask for your SSN and passport if you are opening an account at the branch. Also, a US residence is usually necessary. Picking a bank depends on the state you're in; your location says Toronto so will you be working in NY/PA?

US Banks use ABA systems to pay vs. the transit/branch system we have in Canada so you may have difficulty getting paid into a Canadian domiciled USD bank account.

If you are intent in maintaining residence in Canada but want a US based USD account, you can open one with TD Bank (USA). But if you are thinking about working M-F in the US, you'll trigger tax implications due to substantial presence test (unless you process some other paperwork, I recommend you see a cross-border accountant).

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)