Cross-Border US Banking and Credit Cards Mega-Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2018 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 28, 2007
297 posts
24 upvotes
I have a joint checking account with my american fiance through chase. Has anyone had any success applying for a cc through chase or would going through BOA be my best bet?
Jan 9, 2006
108 posts
8 upvotes
Hi...

I'm Canadian and I got no US SN.

now if I open a TD Band US banking account they are offering me a debit card that can also be used as a credit card. all I have to do is, go to the States and open the account, (I will provide my brother's address in USA for that account) deposit an amount in the account... , now my question is

is the kind of card they are offering me good , just like a regular visa, and any online retail store will gladly accept it? or it''s not the same as a normal credit card ? restrictions ?

thank for your help.

(please also if someone has recently successfully got a regular US credit card, someone with no US SN. no US credit report, please PM me if you want to share how you did it. I will need some help on this... I'm a slow learner...hehe...I'm in Montreal also. thanks )
Jul 25, 2010
445 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver
herbeapuce wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 1:47 pm
(please also if someone has recently successfully got a regular US credit card, someone with no US SN. no US credit report, please PM me if you want to share how you did it. I will need some help on this... I'm a slow learner...hehe...I'm in Montreal also. thanks )
Here:
us-banking-credit-cards-canadians-1169910/#post14649989
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2967 posts
345 upvotes
herbeapuce wrote:
is the kind of card they are offering me good , just like a regular visa, and any online retail store will gladly accept it? or it''s not the same as a normal credit card ? restrictions ?
Places will accept it, but you can only put on the card what you have in the account, just like a Canadian debit card.
Jun 4, 2012
5 posts
1 upvote
Verdun
Hi all, I went through the RBC deal for US banking, most of the people that did it, moved on to a local bank when we got to Florida. and thought I'd post on it, For getting Visa etc, when they say is there anything else I can do? ask away, A line of credit there is what we call overdraft protection here though, I was approved for 3 grand, then asked for more , and had to submit a financial statement and they gave me 8. I asked why will they give me 250 K here, and she then explained that it was an overdraft . and a $25 annual fee. so I cancelled it. As far as using the ATM portion of the RBC usa card. I could only use it a Hess gas station in my area which are scarce, I opened an account at the closest bank next to the place I have in Tampa now. took 3 minutes, you just say snow bird and need a place to safely store spending money, they use 0's for SSN .I used my address there so I can hook paypal up and voila.
Jul 29, 2007
456 posts
135 upvotes
North America
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious if the US address has to be a physical address. Can it be one of those mail forwarding or mail box (not a PO Box)?

I was thinking of using a mail forwarding service if this will work. I can find something in Blaine or Bellingham... since i'm in Surrey.

I forgot to ask one more question, has anyone tried getting a Chase and/or a Capital One credit card/bank account in Blaine or Bellingham?

Can someone who has tried this give some insight? I know this will work for shipping orders. Thank you for your feedback.
Dec 12, 2004
334 posts
62 upvotes
DrAcX wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 12:59 am
Option B
[*][US] Apply for a TD Bank USD checking account
[*][US] Apply for a TD Visa Credit Card
Does anyone know if you can use your Canadian address when opening up a US TD Bank checking account and a US TD Bank Visa card at a branch in the states?

If the US Bank Visa card has a Canadian address I'm wondering if that will work for online purchases that may require both a US Bank credit card and a US address. Perhaps the mail forwarding service might provide a solution for this and for receiving the initial card or replacements.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2967 posts
345 upvotes
Saltywetguy wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 11:49 am
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious if the US address has to be a physical address. Can it be one of those mail forwarding or mail box (not a PO Box)?

I was thinking of using a mail forwarding service if this will work. I can find something in Blaine or Bellingham... since i'm in Surrey.

I forgot to ask one more question, has anyone tried getting a Chase and/or a Capital One credit card/bank account in Blaine or Bellingham?

Can someone who has tried this give some insight? I know this will work for shipping orders. Thank you for your feedback.

With RBC you can use your Canadian address to sign up, and then add a US shipping address. The shipping address can be the border parcel service, yes.
Oct 5, 2009
469 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary
herbeapuce wrote:
Hi...

I'm Canadian and I got no US SN.

now if I open a TD Band US banking account they are offering me a debit card that can also be used as a credit card. all I have to do is, go to the States and open the account, (I will provide my brother's address in USA for that account) deposit an amount in the account... , now my question is

thank for your help.

For your first question:

you debit card allows you to buy online like a credit card (in my case I did not have any issue yet doing so)

I have bought stuff online worth more than my credit card limit, so I have used my debit card as a credit card and it worked no problem...

For your second question:

You should be able to open one anytime.

Just drive to Swanton or Alburgh, VT.

The Swanton People's United Bank is opened on Saturdays, but require you to have a minimum balance or else you pay monthly fees.
The Alburgh North Country Credit Union has no minimum monthly but it's closed on saturdays. It closes at 5:30 on fridays.

You can use your canadian address, and your canadian driver's licence. No need for SSN, they will make you fill a W-8 form.

You open your bank account, get money in, then you start by a prepaid credit card (i.e. you need to feed it before using it).
Later you'll get a real credit card.

You should be able to add your US bank account to xetrade and deposit direct from your canadian bank to US bank (low exchange rates and no ACH fees).
And you use that to pay for your credit card.

I am opening a new account on June 22nd (switching from People's to North Country, I can ask them if that's how it works. In my case I have a US SN but still need to fill out W-8 since I am not a US resident. I use my US address though.

No need to drive to a TD Bank branch, which is quite far compared to Alburgh.
Oct 28, 2007
297 posts
24 upvotes
Stetson717 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2012 5:39 pm
I have a joint checking account with my american fiance through chase. Has anyone had any success applying for a cc through chase or would going through BOA be my best bet?

Sorry for bringing up my question again but i'm not sure if it was overlooked as it was at the end of the previous page
Jul 29, 2007
456 posts
135 upvotes
North America
Stetson717 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 5:14 pm
Sorry for bringing up my question again but i'm not sure if it was overlooked as it was at the end of the previous page

Hey Stetson717,
I think the best thing to do is to speak with a Chase account manager and see if you can apply to one of their unsecured credit cards.
I think all that is required is your picture ID's (2 of them, IE drivers license/passport), Canadian Credit Report, US address/mailbox (no po box) and a US Bill (utility or tax, etc)

If the answer is no, then ask for a secured credit card, work your way down... see if there's a list of options that they can provide you.
If Chase doesn't give you an US credit card, you can apply to their Chase Amazon.ca credit card, it doesn't have any forex fees!
Your other option is go for BOA and start getting your US Credit History, then apply again after about 6 months or a year to Chase.
May 22, 2011
312 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So if you get the US Amex card, do you have to pay your bills in US currency, or is it linked to your Canadian Card?
Oct 28, 2007
297 posts
24 upvotes
Saltywetguy wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 6:15 pm
Hey Stetson717,
I think the best thing to do is to speak with a Chase account manager and see if you can apply to one of their unsecured credit cards.
I think all that is required is your picture ID's (2 of them, IE drivers license/passport), Canadian Credit Report, US address/mailbox (no po box) and a US Bill (utility or tax, etc)

If the answer is no, then ask for a secured credit card, work your way down... see if there's a list of options that they can provide you.
If Chase doesn't give you an US credit card, you can apply to their Chase Amazon.ca credit card, it doesn't have any forex fees!
Your other option is go for BOA and start getting your US Credit History, then apply again after about 6 months or a year to Chase.
Thank you very much for the response. Will look into your suggestions
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1371 posts
54 upvotes
For the people not going RBC route, what is the reason? Seems kind of silly going through all this extra trouble given RBC is ridiculously easy to open and is integrated with Canadian side so that you can easily move money back and forth immediately between accounts.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)