• Jun 29th, 2009 11:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 22, 2004
231 posts

Crossing border with someone else's car

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on driving down to Buffalo this weekend. My car isn't in the greatest shape now so I'm planning on borrowing my mom's car to drive down there. Will I be able to cross the border with her car and will I encounter any difficulties?

Thanks
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
Should be fine. I don't see a problem, they don't even check your insurance papers or anything. I've been crossing multiple times in my dad's and mom's car. Just don't go down and come back with another car :)
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4491 posts
179 upvotes
Burnaby
It's fine. I sometimes drive down with my father's van when I'm picking up something large.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13515 posts
1197 upvotes
Montreal
Sometimes they ask if it's your car. If they do, state it's your mom's and if they ask, show them insurance and registration.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2822 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
I use to cross with my dad's car all the time.
They've never checked for registration or insurance, but if the address matches and/or the last name matches, they probably won't ask too many questions.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
121 upvotes
Chatham
I agree that its not a problem but they should not just look at the last name. Your mom can have different last names.

But they will record it in their database. Once you're back with a different car they will ask you about it.
May 29, 2004
175 posts
If you're really worried about problems, get your mother to give you a written statement giving you permission to use the vehicle etc...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6697 posts
186 upvotes
Shouldn't be a problem because I do it all the time. I think they've asked me about the car once and I told them it's my mother's car. It ended there and I was on my way to do some crazy shopping.

Call your mom at the borders and have her on the video conferencing option so they can talk to her lol (JK!!!)
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 30, 2005
17 posts
Burlington
I do it all the time. I borrow one of my parent's cars and go down the states all the time. They've asked who's car it is and I've never had a problem.
May 14, 2007
66 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hello all,
I know this has been discussed but the latest discussion I found was as of March 2008. Many things have changed since, specially border regulations.
I am letting my nephew borrow my car for a week and he will be driving across the border. Will there be any problem? I am planning on writing a letter explaining and authorizing him to drive my car. Is there anything else I should put in that letter?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20294 posts
1692 upvotes
You shouldn't have any huge problesm but be prepared for a bunch more questions though.

Border guards, some of them are just completely ********--like you wonder if they went to school ********... One time me and my friend were going across in my car (which was technically in my sister's name at the time but really my car nonetheless) so I told him that when he asked who's car it was and then he goes to my friend in the pax seat, asking him about his car which wasn't even there (nevermind it could have been entirely possible my friend didn't have a car). Anyway he goes on to ask us all kinds of other nonsense and asks my friend why he didn't bring his car, as if to say we should have brought two cars for us to go across :confused:

So then my friend, who doesn't cross the border very frequently starts to look at me and the guard and says "what? what do you mean" and I'm trying to tell my friend without saying it directly that this is how these retards are (they make no sense in their questioning) but the border guy seeing the way my friend reacts in the "are you stupid?" fashion just gets more annoyed (why he was annoyed in the first place that we didn't take two cars I'll chalk up to him never passing grade 2 or "the second grade" as they like to say).

So yeah we were sitting there for like 10 mins at the booth answering the stupidest things just because:
-my car wasn't actually in my name (never looked at the ownership mind you, just on what I told him)
-my friend didn't also drive his car to go over the border with me

Afterwards I had to give my buddy a talking to about how you don't give that attitude to border guards and how we were damn lucky he didn't pull us into the garage for a further search. Sure the moron deserved to be treated like a moron but the fact that he's at the border means you don't do that crap. I mean if he asks you when's the last time you engaged in anal intercourse, you better answer right away and with a straight face or the next thing you know you'll be in a very similar position to that :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2533 posts
38 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 29th, 2009 5:36 pm
You shouldn't have any huge problesm but be prepared for a bunch more questions though.

Border guards, some of them are just completely ********--like you wonder if they went to school ********... One time me and my friend were going across in my car (which was technically in my sister's name at the time but really my car nonetheless) so I told him that when he asked who's car it was and then he goes to my friend in the pax seat, asking him about his car which wasn't even there (nevermind it could have been entirely possible my friend didn't have a car). Anyway he goes on to ask us all kinds of other nonsense and asks my friend why he didn't bring his car, as if to say we should have brought two cars for us to go across :confused:

So then my friend, who doesn't cross the border very frequently starts to look at me and the guard and says "what? what do you mean" and I'm trying to tell my friend without saying it directly that this is how these retards are (they make no sense in their questioning) but the border guy seeing the way my friend reacts in the "are you stupid?" fashion just gets more annoyed (why he was annoyed in the first place that we didn't take two cars I'll chalk up to him never passing grade 2 or "the second grade" as they like to say).

So yeah we were sitting there for like 10 mins at the booth answering the stupidest things just because:
-my car wasn't actually in my name (never looked at the ownership mind you, just on what I told him)
-my friend didn't also drive his car to go over the border with me

Afterwards I had to give my buddy a talking to about how you don't give that attitude to border guards and how we were damn lucky he didn't pull us into the garage for a further search. Sure the moron deserved to be treated like a moron but the fact that he's at the border means you don't do that crap. I mean if he asks you when's the last time you engaged in anal intercourse, you better answer right away and with a straight face or the next thing you know you'll be in a very similar position to that :lol:
:lol:
Luckyinfil wrote:
May 18th, 2010 5:23 pm
No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 29th, 2009 5:36 pm
One time me and my friend were going across in my car (which was technically in my sister's name at the time but really my car nonetheless) so I told him that when he asked who's car it was and then he goes to my friend in the pax seat, asking him about his car which wasn't even there (nevermind it could have been entirely possible my friend didn't have a car). Anyway he goes on to ask us all kinds of other nonsense and asks my friend why he didn't bring his car, as if to say we should have brought two cars for us to go across :confused:
Sounds to me like he was asking you why you borrowed your sisters car, instead of taking your friends car.

You told him the car wasn't yours. (even though you said really it's yours). So he probably wanted to know why the two of you didn't come down in your friends car.

Sounds like the attitude is what nearly got you in trouble, and nothing else.
× < >