None
[OP]
Banned
Oct 24, 2004
591 posts
18 upvotes

Crossing into US - Peace bridge or Queenston-Lewiston around 8pm

Hello,

I will be driving to US on Thursday night. I'll be leaving home in Richmond Hill around 6pm.
Do you know if arround 8pm Peace bridge or Queenston-Lewiston would be better option (less wait)? In US I'll be going to Erie direction.

Also, would you recommend talking 401/403/QEW or 401/427/QEW or maybe even 472/QEW (I dont have transponder). Arround 6pm how busy are these routes?

Thanks!
14 replies
May 25, 2008
383 posts
Mississauga, Ontario…
I suggest the 401 to 427 to Qew ... to me seems easier going east on qew should be a problem at night. that's my opinion.

Going to erie direction is awsome .... Last time I drove 180 km/h from the Niagara region till the boarder.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1484 posts
65 upvotes
The Queenston bridge is usually the faster way across, and oddly cheaper as well. Im not sure why but they hiked the fee at the falls rainbow bridge. All of the truckers use the Queenston way now.
vim wrote:
Mar 1st, 2009 2:30 am
Hello,

I will be driving to US on Thursday night. I'll be leaving home in Richmond Hill around 6pm.
Do you know if arround 8pm Peace bridge or Queenston-Lewiston would be better option (less wait)? In US I'll be going to Erie direction.

Also, would you recommend talking 401/403/QEW or 401/427/QEW or maybe even 472/QEW (I dont have transponder). Arround 6pm how busy are these routes?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6675 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
rainbow bridge is cheapest isn't it? You don't pay going into the states. You only pay coming back to Canada and if your headed to i90 you have to pay for 1 less bridge (compared to Queenston)

OP Point your mobile phone at wap.gc.ca it will tell you the border wait times under "Services" other then that there is a 1 800 number, they'll have it posted on the side of the QEW. Just cross at whichever one is most direct and fastest.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 24, 2004
591 posts
18 upvotes
Thanks everybody for your replies. Anybody knows which route (401, 403 or QEW) would be less crouded at around 6pm? Just during a normal evening, as I understand that any accident would change everything.
Or should I just pay 25$ and use 407 from Richmond Hill to QEW?
Time is very important for me as I want to drive as far as I can before stopping for a night sleep.

Before posting I read quite a confusing info about US borders. I don't mind paying 3$ or so for a toll. Just I read that Queenston is the busiest crossing and should be avoided. AAA Trip tick suggested that I cross at Queenston/Lewiston. For the same route google maps recommends crossing at Peace bridge.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6255 posts
767 upvotes
Queenston is definitely the busiest crossing since all the GPS devices tell people to cross at Queenston and it has less lanes than the other bridges. And I thought that the tolls were the same at all 3 bridges, and you only pay on the way back. I'd definitely cross at the Peace Bridge.
Dec 18, 2007
33 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
vim wrote:
Mar 1st, 2009 2:30 am
Hello,

Thanks!
If your headed in the Erie direction...I would suggest the Peace bridge, much easier to continue your jouney. Also you won't have to drive through the falls and Buffalo. in terms of 401/427 etc...the 403 option is normally a little less crowded but again its hit and miss. 407 will probably be best but thats add cost...
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1714 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
I'd recommend crossing at the Peace Bridge, considering your destination.

But drive at the same safe speed as the rest of the traffic on the QEW. To drive like a madman you'll not only risk getting a fine and demerit points, and even losing your licence, but also the lives of everybody in your car and on the road. There is a reason why there are so many fatalities on the Fort Erie stretch of the QEW. And that has resulted in increased police activity in the region, including airborne surveillance. They've painted speed markers along the side of the road for aircraft spotters to use.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'll echo everyone else, Peacebridge for the win. The Q-L bridge is always crazy and there is very little need to ever cross there unless one is headed to Lewistown, Ransomville, etc. Shopping in Niagara Falls like the Outlet Mall, etc the Rainbow is far quicker and closer to those areas.

I'd also +1 Tornado's comment. Enforcement has been stepped on the QEW all through Niagara because of the ongoing construction. Pay close attention to the construction zones and the posted speed limits.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Jun 4, 2009
81 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
I read the replies. I was wondering if there is any change to answers since 2009. We're driving to US for the first time for the long weekend April 22, 2011 and appreciate to know which would be a better and faster border to go through: Rainbow Bridge vs Queenston-Lewiston vs Peace bridge?
Jun 4, 2009
81 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2009 1:12 am
Queenston is definitely the busiest crossing since all the GPS devices tell people to cross at Queenston and it has less lanes than the other bridges. And I thought that the tolls were the same at all 3 bridges, and you only pay on the way back. I'd definitely cross at the Peace Bridge.

I'm confused since some friends suggested Queenston instead of Rainbow.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Rainbow is always the least wait, then Peace and Q-L is always the longest wait
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1605 posts
15 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
CSK'sMom wrote:
Apr 21st, 2011 3:18 am
Rainbow is always the least wait, then Peace and Q-L is always the longest wait
There's one other bridge that no one hasn't heard - the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge. However, that bridge is a NEXUS-only bridge and the best part is - there are no delays! However the location is quite far from busy areas....
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
we zipped over tonight to grab our easter ham and a few groceries. We hit the Rainbow about 10:15 and basically no wait. Hit Canadian side about 11:20 and drove right up to the booth. :)
× < >