Tags:
None
Feb 19, 2009
27 posts
1 upvote
GTA

Crossing into USA using a passport with corner cut

Hello,
I'm planning on taking a day trip to Buffalo tomorrow. I'm in the process of applying for a passport renewal, and the office has made a little cut on the corner of my old passport. Can I use this passport to enter the US anyway? Keep in mind the expiration date of my old passport isn't until june 2010. I would call the border agency instead of bugging RFD, but the phone lines are closed today.
Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3434 posts
42 upvotes
Coquitlam
I would say if the passport is cut on the corners, it becomes invalid immediately. Sometimes they would stamp certain pages saying that this passport is canceled. So you may not travel to the US with that passport.
Oct 8, 2008
722 posts
70 upvotes
The passport office cuts the corner as a way of invalidating the passport (as this is considered an alteration, and alterations invalidate the passport). They do this so you do not possess two valid passports at the same time when the new one is ready.

I would say not to expect to be let in with that passport. You're better off just waiting for the new passport to be ready.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
kaycee8877 wrote: i traveled across the border with just my regular drivers licence. So you still can get across . They just searched my car and typed on a computer for 20 mins.

i'd maybe call US customs
Can't do that anymore unless you have an enhanced DL.
Jan 17, 2010
275 posts
12 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kaycee8877 wrote: i did last month with my REGULAR DL, long after enhanced came into effect.

I wouldn't recommend doing it however, was just saying its possible to go across without the 'required' documentation.

they just told me to bring the proper id next time and let me across. I was just hopping over to grab gas, milk, and beer though, so like a 10 minute trip over - maybe that's why they didn't care.
I find that really hard to believe.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3434 posts
42 upvotes
Coquitlam
kaycee8877 wrote: i did last month with my REGULAR DL, long after enhanced came into effect.

I wouldn't recommend doing it however, was just saying its possible to go across without the 'required' documentation.

they just told me to bring the proper id next time and let me across. I was just hopping over to grab gas, milk, and beer though, so like a 10 minute trip over - maybe that's why they didn't care.
Beer? You know that you are not suppose to bring alcohol back into Canada for daytrips?

Did you go to Point Roberts crossing by any chance?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2462 posts
473 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
a friends brother crossed into the usa with license and birth certificate a few months back.

i'm thinking it may have been due to having tickets for a hockey game. shocked to learn they let him in without a passport.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Badger wrote: Beer? You know that you are not suppose to bring alcohol back into Canada for daytrips?

Did you go to Point Roberts crossing by any chance?
You know you're wrong ? ;) You can bring back alcohol and cigarettes at any time, it's not prohibited at all. The duty/excise taxes/taxes would be due, that's it. And then it's at the sole discretion of the BSO.

Now I'll say we grab beer all the time when we do groceries. Our experience is that 30 cans/bottles or less and they wave us through, more than 30 cans/bottles and we'll get pulled over to pay the taxes.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3434 posts
42 upvotes
Coquitlam
CSK'sMom wrote: You know you're wrong ? ;) You can bring back alcohol and cigarettes at any time, it's not prohibited at all. The duty/excise taxes/taxes would be due, that's it. And then it's at the sole discretion of the BSO.

Now I'll say we grab beer all the time when we do groceries. Our experience is that 30 cans/bottles or less and they wave us through, more than 30 cans/bottles and we'll get pulled over to pay the taxes.
Oh I never knew about this alcohol thing. Thanks for the clarification!

Other than beer, have you tried bringing wines back into Canada during day trips? For the same bottle of wine, it cost twice as much in Canada.

Just thinking if it will be hassle to go all the way down to the states to buy a bottle of wine. I am not sure what the duties are for wines, but if the total discount is less than 20% after duties Canada, I'd rather buy it locally.

Have you been required to pay duties for just one bottle of wine?
Feb 19, 2009
27 posts
1 upvote
GTA
kaycee8877 wrote:
anyways this thread is done - OP's trip has past
Although of course, the information I have may be mean something for people in the future.

They let me through. I attached my receipt from the passport office in my "invalid" passport, along with driver's license / citizenship. They didn't ask me a word about the passport. They seemed more interested in what food I packed along, as well as what my mall receipts said!! Perhaps the fact that I said I went shopping (and by doing so, helped contribute to local employment) had something to do with their ease of letting me through?

Can't say this will apply to everyone, but it's just my experience yesterday. Like a few of you guys have said, I also don't recommend everyone doing this. But thanks for your input.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)