• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2023 3:37 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes

CRT Class Action

Dear DRAM Claimant:

You are receiving this email because you may be eligible to file a claim for the Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Class Action Settlement.

You could get money from settlements totaling over $576 million.

You may get $25.00 or more for each CRT television or computer monitor you bought between 1995 and 2007.

Claiming is easy, takes less than five minutes, and requires no documentation (although large or unusual claims may require backup). File a claim now at

https://www.CRTclaims.com/fastclaim.

If you have questions or want more information about filing a claim, please contact the Claims Administrator at 1-800-649-0963.

Thank you,
DRAM Claims Administrator
Key eligibility criteria include:
Individuals and businesses qualify for money from this settlement if they purchased a CRT or product containing a CRT, such as a TV or computer monitor, in the following states for their own use and not resale:
•Arizona, California, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin or the District of Columbia between March 1, 1995 and November 25, 2007
•Hawaii between June 25, 2002 and November 25, 2007
•Nebraska between July 20, 2002 and November 25, 2007
•Nevada between February 4, 1999 and November 25, 2007
I'm sure many RFDers cross-border shopped for CRT TV's and CRT monitors over that period, and are thus eligible.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2004
1062 posts
38 upvotes
Where's the deal?

Wrong forum maybe?
May 11, 2011
693 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
I think this one is similar like the DRAM claim case months ago. No prove required if you choose the fixed amount ($25). But the cheque will mailed to your US address only.
Life is a play. Everyone deserves an Oscar.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs
Sorta related, but whatever happened to the LCD lawsuit?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
spinningpiledriver wrote: Not in Canada? Prove required?
From the previous post:
Claiming is easy, takes less than five minutes, and requires no documentation (although large or unusual claims may require backup).
There is no reason why a Canadian can't claim, other than, they must have purchased the CRTs in question in the United States (most of the cross-border shopping states that Canadians use are eligible, NY, MI, ND, MN, etc!). The claim form lists 100 countries or so that can be selected.

Keep in mind that claiming under the US settlement may diminish your rights under a future/potential Canadian settlement for the same cause of action relating to the same CRT purchases. http://www.cfmlawyers.ca/active-litigat ... -ray-tube/ .
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
lunear wrote: I think this one is similar like the DRAM claim case months ago. No prove required if you choose the fixed amount ($25). But the cheque will mailed to your US address only.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work for a foreign resident claimant who purchased the CRTs in the United States and is willing to make an affirmation to that effect. I personally bought a couple CRTs through eBay in that time period and had them shipped cross-border.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
I think these class-action settlement deals are mostly for the benefit of the lawyers - they get a bigger fee if they can sign up more people. I don't know anyone who's actually received money from one of these settlements yet.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2011
2619 posts
1110 upvotes
Winnipeg
JamesA1 wrote: I think these class-action settlement deals are mostly for the benefit of the lawyers - they get a bigger fee if they can sign up more people. I don't know anyone who's actually received money from one of these settlements yet.
I've received a cheque from these settlements twice...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2392 posts
17564 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: I see no reason why it wouldn't work for a foreign resident claimant who purchased the CRTs in the United States and is willing to make an affirmation to that effect. I personally bought a couple CRTs through eBay in that time period.
You're openly admitting you don't qualify for this then - the second question of the application is:

"Did you purchase a CRT Product from a retail store or someone other than a Defendant or an alleged co-conspirator? For example, if you purchased a CRT television or computer monitor from a retailer like Best Buy or a computer manufacturer like Dell, then your answer should be "Yes." If you made no purchases from a retailer or other supplier and you only purchased a CRT television or computer monitor directly from a Defendant or an alleged co-conspirator, then your answer should be "No."

When you answer "No" (lets say you ordered from eBay), you are not eligible.
Mar 29, 2010
797 posts
186 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: I think these class-action settlement deals are mostly for the benefit of the lawyers - they get a bigger fee if they can sign up more people. I don't know anyone who's actually received money from one of these settlements yet.
Received 2 checks from Danone
20$ on the way from lcd lawsuit too
May 11, 2011
693 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Consumers (individual or business) in 21 states and the District of Columbia who indirectly purchased Cathode Ray Tubes (CRT) Products are eligible to receive payments from the Settlements.
Life is a play. Everyone deserves an Oscar.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
Leverage wrote: You're openly admitting you don't qualify for this then - the second question of the application is:
I disagree. Buying from eBay is buying from a reseller. I did not buy from the manufacturer.
When you answer "No" (lets say you ordered from eBay), you are not eligible.
I can (and will) answer Yes to that question, as I did not buy directly from a defendant.

Also, strangely, Sony products are excluded from the class action if one reads the fine print and/or completes the questionnaire.
Mar 28, 2009
737 posts
345 upvotes
Ottawa
Everyone I know received money (I think it was $20 or more if you had receipts) from the Activia one a while back.
Mar 14, 2005
266 posts
51 upvotes
Nuts. Washington state not included. It's $25USD too!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
VietTran wrote: Everyone I know received money (I think it was $20 or more if you had receipts) from the Activia one a while back.
I actually have a lid with the expiry date on it ... Very legit !!!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
From participation in similar previous class actions, I believe the fee structure was generally 1/3rd of the settlement. And there were no incentives designed around signing up more people. However, the lawyers for the class must show to the court that they took reasonable efforts to notify the class of the settlement which is binding upon them.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
Can you give Canadian mailing address? I don't have a US mailing address.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
ar2020 wrote: Can you give Canadian mailing address? I don't have a US mailing address.
Yes. The claim submission form gives you the option of ~100 countries as your mailing address.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
lunear wrote: I think this one is similar like the DRAM claim case months ago. No prove required if you choose the fixed amount ($25). But the cheque will mailed to your US address only.
burnt69 wrote: Yes. The claim submission form gives you the option of ~100 countries as your mailing address.
Sorry, dude earlier said the cheque will be mailed to US address only.