• Jul 20th, 2023 11:38 am
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton

CRT Class Action Canada

http://crtclassactioncanada.ca/

Who can receive a payment from the settlements?

Persons resident in Canada (individuals, businesses and governmental entities) can receive a payment from the settlements if they
purchased any of the following products, regardless of the manufacturer or brand, in Canada between March 1, 1995 and November 25, 2007:
  • CRT televisions
  • CRT computer monitors
  • CRTs for inclusion in televisions or computer monitors

How much money will I receive?

Payments will be distributed on a proportional basis, based on the value of your claim relative to the value of all approved claims.

It is anticipated that all claims will receive a minimum payment of $20.

You must complete and file a claim form by March 1, 2019.

Click here for FAQs
Thread Summary
🚨 Want to be notified when new Class Action threads get posted? Add a RedFlagDeals Alert for "Class Action" and you'll receive an email as soon as a new thread is created. 🚨
708 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Appears that you are not required to prove proof of your claim, payment is sent by EMT. You can claim up to two without risk of audit. Hope that helps others, I'm going to sign up!

BTW the FAQ said that the deadline is March 1, 2019 and is paid typically a year after the claims deadline. So make sure you use a email that you'll be keeping for a long while, as you'll be paid after you forget that this exist.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Is this legit or just a scam to get our personal information?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
What is the lawsuit based on? The website is blocked at work for some reason.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19732 posts
28609 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting. I bought two eMacs during this period. They were not computer monitors, but all-in-one computers with CRT displays. Hard to tell if they qualify. I submitted anyway, interesting how they don't ask for a date of purchase or any other details.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Submitted. I had a small old Sony TV, and a Dell computer during that period.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Kiraly wrote: Interesting. I bought two eMacs during this period. They were not computer monitors, but all-in-one computers with CRT displays. Hard to tell if they qualify. I submitted anyway, interesting how they don't ask for a date of purchase or any other details.
Class actions are more about penalizing the defendants than compensation.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
Interesting, so the plaintiff is fanshawe college
To the moon
Nov 10, 2013
259 posts
228 upvotes
how do we get max amount? based on those 3 variables?
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
2484 posts
3179 upvotes
Ottawa
Enter all this private data to get $20!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2913 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
if anyone wants a bit of background:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crt-set ... -1.4160613
-*----
If you purchased a cathode ray tube TV or computer monitor between 1995 and 2007, you may be eligible for a cash payout.
Canadian class action law firm Siskinds LLP announced Friday that courts in Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec have approved class-action lawsuit settlements totalling nearly $50 million.
While the amount of the settlements will depend on the value of CRT purchases, and the overall number of claims, the minimum payouts are expected to be $20.

"The court-approved protocol we are announcing today will allow eligible Canadians to recover money they should have never been charged in the first place," Linda Visser of LLP Siskinds said in a statement.
Consumers who were living in Canada and purchased CRTs between March 1995 and November 2007 don't need to have receipts for their decades-old TVs and computer monitors, as claims can be filed online for up to two undocumented purchases.
The claim application deadline is March 1, 2019.
The class action was launched in 2008, alleging price-fixing in the Canadian CRT market.
The seven defendants, none of which have admitted to any wrongdoing or liability, have agreed to pay $49.8 million in settlements: Chunghwa ($2M), Panasonic ($41.5M), Toshiba (US$2.95M), Hitachi (US$2.05M), LG Electronics ($7.75M), Philips($12.45M), Samsung SDI ($16.98M).
-*----

Similar to the Bread case, I suppose
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)