• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 6:03 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2115 posts
1520 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:10 pm
This is kinda like saying "Hot Deal! Get laid off from your job, get FREE MONEY from the government!!!"
What? It's $20 for filling out a form asking for your name and address?

People on this site jump through ALOT more hoops to "save" less money.

What exactly about this DOESN'T make this a "hot deal"?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15060 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
konfusion666 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:10 pm
This is kinda like saying "Hot Deal! Get laid off from your job, get FREE MONEY from the government!!!"
More like saying "Here's $20 from the CRT manufacturers that you're entitled to, if you bought a CRT display during the time period. Or $40 if you bought two!" - who doesn't want free money? Nothing to do with the government, either.

Also, all you folks worried about people stealing your personal information? Relax. Your name and email address and address are barely worth pennies. Nobody is going to go out of their way to create some elaborate scam just to harvest a bunch of names and addresses.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Oct 12, 2016
459 posts
109 upvotes
For me its not accepting .gmail and .yahoo.com
It says email is not valid???
Doing from phone.!!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2115 posts
1520 upvotes
frendzpz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:11 pm
Doing from phone.!!
I've seen both work, must be something to do with trying from the phone.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1327 posts
191 upvotes
I submitted my claim and moments later along with the confirmation email I got an email from PayPal that my phone number was added to my account profile.

Did their site do this? Or is it just a bizarre coincidence?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1924 posts
589 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
GreyingJay wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 2:47 pm
I submitted my claim and moments later along with the confirmation email I got an email from PayPal that my phone number was added to my account profile.

You only have to give an e-mail address for the direct deposit, right? Nothing about Paypal? If you gave them the same e-mail address that you use for Paypal, then I doubt it's a coincidence. But it's creepy, considering it happened moments later. Maybe get a customer service ticket and speak to someone from Paypal and they might know something about how that happened.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1327 posts
191 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 3:46 pm
You only have to give an e-mail address for the direct deposit, right? Nothing about Paypal? If you gave them the same e-mail address that you use for Paypal, then I doubt it's a coincidence. But it's creepy, considering it happened moments later. Maybe get a customer service ticket and speak to someone from Paypal and they might know something about how that happened.
The form asks for your email address, address, phone number, etc. Yes, in the online payment section it only asks for your email address and a security question (to which I made up an answer).

It does seem like very creepy timing. Please let me know if anyone else experiences this.

The phone number added to my Paypal profile was the same number I provided to the claim website (but it's my only number so theoretically it could have come from elsewhere).
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1924 posts
589 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
GreyingJay wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 4:00 pm
The form asks for your email address, address, phone number, etc. Yes, in the online payment section it only asks for your email address and a security question (to which I made up an answer).
Is it the same e-mail address that you use for Paypal?
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4673 posts
2053 upvotes
Toronto
ShadowMordor wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:54 pm
free money = hot deal
If you purchased one of those screens, then it's not free money but a compensation

If you didn't purchase one of those screens, it's not free money but fraud
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Mar 3, 2018
528 posts
303 upvotes
GTA
GreyingJay wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 2:47 pm

I received the same PayPal email this morning. Also put a CRT claim last week. A likely coincidence. The email seemed fishing though as my tel. # has been the same for years. I never click on links included no matter how genuine an email appears.
Last edited by DaveTheDude on Nov 6th, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15060 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
frendzpz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:11 pm
Doing from phone.!!
Worked fine for me with gmail on desktop. Possibly an issue with their site not being mobile friendly.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient