• Nov 15th, 2018 6:03 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15058 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
bylo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:55 am
Your only option is to take it to a recycling station (or maybe a museum? ;) ) where hopefully they won't charge to take it off your hands. You can't just leave it out for garbage collection because the lead in the CRT glass is considered hazardous.
It's only late-90's or early 2k's vintage, not museum worthy yet. :P I know if I want to throw it out I have to take it to the recycling station, I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep it around as a backup TV for the kids or not.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13790 posts
6182 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wearysky wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 12:43 pm
I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep it around as a backup TV for the kids or not.
There are lots of small and mid-sized flat panel TVs selling for under $50, some even just $20, on Kijiji that would run circles around a 27" CRT.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15058 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
bylo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 1:33 pm
There are lots of small and mid-sized flat panel TVs selling for under $50, some even just $20, on Kijiji that would run circles around a 27" CRT.
Sure, but I've already *got* a 27" CRT, so not only would it save me the trip of going out to get another flat panel, it would also save me the trip of taking the CRT to the recycling station. :P
Nov 30, 2002
516 posts
32 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
bylo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 11:55 am
Your only option is to take it to a recycling station (or maybe a museum? ;) ) where hopefully they won't charge to take it off your hands. You can't just leave it out for garbage collection because the lead in the CRT glass is considered hazardous.
That depends entirely on where you live. For example, Toronto really REALLY wants your e-waste:
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1924 posts
589 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
BobSagget wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 3:13 pm
I can't imagine there are many people who WOULDN'T qualify for such a class action.
Just thinking about it, I think I remember at least 4-5 CRTs. From regular TVs to computer monitors. I will not miss those heavy beasts.
Yeah, no kidding. I have at least five TVs of varying sizes plus six monitors I could claim. So picking two isn't so difficult. Although based on what I read on the claim form, I could claim two and hubby could claim two.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1469 posts
398 upvotes
Mississauga
TheHans wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 3:58 pm
Yeah, no kidding. I have at least five TVs of varying sizes plus six monitors I could claim. So picking two isn't so difficult. Although based on what I read on the claim form, I could claim two and hubby could claim two.
Claim only per house hold
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1924 posts
589 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
jdu0ng wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 4:05 pm
Claim only per house hold
You can claim more than two if you use the other form. But apparently you have to have the receipts if you get audited. It's the "Standard Claim" as opposed to the "Simplified Claim."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
8104 posts
838 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:12 pm
Are you sure? That banner states "2 CRT Products per member of your household" indicating that it's just two per person...
so simplified claim is 2 per household or 2 per person?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1924 posts
589 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
wlee wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 5:10 pm
so simplified claim is 2 per household or 2 per person?
I think it's the household, but that can be two for the person, right? With the standard claim, it's also per household, but from the position that one person files for every member of the household. The form asks you to list the household members: "If you are filing this claim on behalf of a household, please enter the names of the members of your household. Members of a family residing at the same address must pool their purchases together and file a single claim form." If you click on the "Standard Claim" and then file as an "Individual," you can see it. It allows you to claim for more than two items, but you need receipts in case of auditing.

I'm guessing the auditing is quite likely because they want to avoid paying as much as possible. I'm guessing too that if you don't have any receipts and take the chance on the audit and you're audited with zero receipts, you probably don't get what you'd get with the simplified claim. But that's only a guess. For me, I'm going to see how many receipts I can find. If I can find more than two, I'll use the Standard Claim, otherwise I'll use the other to get $40 as opposed to zero.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15058 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
It's two per member of the household (so if you have 2 adults, you can claim 4 with the simplified claim and no receipts), but you have to claim them all at once.
Dec 2, 2009
630 posts
147 upvotes
Markham
Guys just read the form, on the simplified version that does not audit it says

"Purchase Information
You may select up to two purchases of CRT Products per member of your household purchased in Canada between March 1, 1995 and November 25, 2007."

If you've put in, say 3 family members in the section above, then you can claim up to 6 items.
Nov 19, 2006
62 posts
29 upvotes
Edmonton
Confusing... if two people with different last names renting in a single dwelling, both in past have purchase CRTs, I assume both can file claim individually using same address, given it is also etransfer. What do you guys think?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9600 posts
1789 upvotes
Toronto
Hilliarious cuz I still have the following in my basement. If they wanna check, they can come and pick them up for free! :twisted:

32" Panasonic GAOO
27" Sony Trinitron
15" Viewsonic Monitor.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)