None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver

CRTC notices that telecom costs have increased

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e21130289/

Average household paying $191/month for internet/phone/mobile. Monthly spending on Internet increased by $4.42 to $35.37.

What I want to know is where are people finding all these incredibly cheap internet plans to lower the average to $35.37 per month, presumably after tax. Maybe some people don't have internet at all, and they're counting that in the average?

And BTW that's a 14% increase in average internet cost in 1 year, so I guess you haven't been imagining that your bill has gone up a lot.
52 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3848 posts
2272 upvotes
'Shwallywood
The landline drop could be on account of users switching to VOIP

Presently I pay $42.99 for DSL, $40 for cell, $4 for VOIP and $33 for landline (which I will be removing shortly)

Those numbers seem to include those without services if you compare it to ARPU based scales the numbers would be much higher
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is pretty high too. I pay $47.40 for cable internet and $56.50 for my cell bill with 3 GB of data. I need to switch to a cheaper home internet package, as it has climbed a lot since the $35 package I signed up for when I moved into my apartment.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
They just notice?? :facepalm: /
Did they just wake up?
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Keigotw wrote: They just notice?? :facepalm: /
Did they just wake up?
Government workers work very slowly, 37.5 hours a week...sometimes less but never more and take all their union negotiated breaks. So keep that in mind before accusing them of being slow.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Government workers work very slowly, 37.5 hours a week...sometimes less but never more and take all their union negotiated breaks. So keep that in mind before accusing them of being slow.
The annual "Your internet, tv, phone and cell prices will increase by $xxx" from Telus, Rogers, Bell, Videotron, Cogeco... should have been enough to conclude the study.

Average costs for these types of studies are pretty pointless. It's almost like the CRCT tried to do everything wrong. Polling, Average costs...

Also can't overlook this notice.
Household subscription data is based on the Survey of Household Spending performed annually by Statistics Canada. 2012 data was the most recent data available at the time that this report was prepared.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1764 posts
1015 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Government workers work very slowly, 37.5 hours a week...sometimes less but never more and take all their union negotiated breaks. So keep that in mind before accusing them of being slow.
Yes, and they get paid an hourly wage......not sure what the point of your post was
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
www.Teksavvy.com

If your on rogers/bell that's your issue right there.

JamesA1 wrote: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e21130289/

Average household paying $191/month apparently for internet/phone/mobile.

What I want to know is where are people finding all these incredibly cheap internet plans to lower the average to $35.37 per month, presumably after tax. "Monthly spending on Internet increased by $4.42 to $35.37"
Maybe some people don't have internet at all, and they're counting that in the average?

And BTW that's a 14% increase in average internet cost in 1 year, so I guess you haven't been imagining that your bill has gone up a lot.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
Dinosaurs will be dinosaurs
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
Sushi Roll wrote: Not just a joke. A bad joke.
Not for Rogers, Bell, and Telus. They're ROTFLMFAO because they know CRTC actually stands for Canadian Racketeering Telecommunications Cartel.

I laugh when I see those Ontario Consumer Protection commercials with the muppet, that would be an accurate representation of the CRTC if they featured a muppet in their advertising.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Banned
Sep 12, 2014
349 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
sickcars wrote: www.Teksavvy.com

Teksavvy is even more expensive than rogers and at same time manage to have even worst customer service
Banned
Sep 12, 2014
349 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Of course its more expensive...we have high speed data plans for phones at 50mb+ speeds...we use 60mb+ at home with a few hundred gig of bandwidth..we have hdpvrs with a few hundred channels

No crap it's more expensive than when I had a 30 dollar cell phone talk and text plan and my home broadband internet was 5mb and 60gigs a mth and I had analog cable with 50 channels

Like we needed to be told it'll cost more to get more...what's next? Going to tell us Toronto homes are more expensive than Keswick? First class more expensive than economy?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3746 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
GodRFD wrote: Of course its more expensive...we have high speed data plans for phones at 50mb+ speeds...we use 60mb+ at home with a few hundred gig of bandwidth..we have hdpvrs with a few hundred channels

No crap it's more expensive than when I had a 30 dollar cell phone talk and text plan and my home broadband internet was 5mb and 60gigs a mth and I had analog cable with 50 channels

Like we needed to be told it'll cost more to get more...what's next? Going to tell us Toronto homes are more expensive than Keswick? First class more expensive than economy?
I bet the blue ray player you have cost a lot less that the DVD player you bought before that
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers keeps jacking up prices every few years. The cost to them is not increasing that significantly.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe on cable but I'm on DSL and I'm paying less and getting more then i would with Bell.
GodRFD wrote: Teksavvy is even more expensive than rogers and at same time manage to have even worst customer service
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Been like this for a while no?

Rogers & Bell and their price fixing
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
sickcars wrote: www.Teksavvy.com

If you think Teksavvy is the solution you need to do some serious research. They are just as guilty of frequently raising their prices as others.