None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4259 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto

Cruise Discussion Thread

Hey guys so since the last cruise thread(s) are several years old, I thought I'd create a new one.

I've never been on a cruise, and looking to treat my mom for her bday next year.

If possible I'd like to find one that caters to both older and younger people - so activities for both young and old. I don't want to be stuck on a cruise where it's predominantly old people and mainly activities that just cater to them, and on the flipside, I don't want a cruise with just young people where my mother would be the odd one out.

Ideally somewhere in the Western hemisphere. Food should be good. Plentiful of activities both on and off the boat. Friendly staff. And one that won't shatter the bank.

I guess this would be good to start off with, and from there I'll further additions/requirements later.

So can any of you guys recommend me a few cruise lines, inform me as to which to avoid, and any other tidbits of valuable info? Thanks
267 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27314 posts
3651 upvotes
Ottawa
Your best bet is to use www.crusecritic.com for cruise advice and information. They have lots of forums and even first time cruisers forum. They also have cruise line specific forums.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13967 posts
3523 upvotes
Ottawa
How about an Alaskan cruise with Celebrity Cruise line?
My wife, my daughter (under 2) and myself went on an Alaskan cruise last year and it was more than we expected (in a good way).

At the time we went, it was a mix crowd of families and seniors (very little teenager/college groups), which was great; but not much activity on the ship itself.
But, the port of calls had more than enough activities (shopping, sightseeing, hiking and excursions).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4259 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 27th, 2016 10:55 am
Your best bet is to use www.crusecritic.com for cruise advice and information. They have lots of forums and even first time cruisers forum. They also have cruise line specific forums.
Cool, I'll give them a look and possibly even post my questions on there.

vkizzle wrote:
May 27th, 2016 10:56 am
My wife, my daughter (under 2) and myself went on an Alaskan cruise last year and it was more than we expected (in a good way).

At the time we went, it was a mix crowd of families and seniors (very little teenager/college groups), which was great; but not much activity on the ship itself.
But, the port of calls had more than enough activities (shopping, sightseeing, hiking and excursions).
I actually would want some college/single 20-30 groups since they'd be the ones to fuel the nightlife and even competitive sports, which I'd definitely want to dabble in.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3164 posts
1162 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
vkizzle wrote:

I've always thought that if I ever do a cruise, I would love to do a beautiful Alaska cruise. My mom went and loved it.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
1972 posts
194 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
I'd like to throw in here. Has the prices of cruising increased significantly? I'm trying to price out cruises and the prices seem to have almost doubled for comparable cruises.
I think another good question is whether other feels cruise lines have really watered down their "included" offering and nickel and dimes their customers on items that used to be free.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27314 posts
3651 upvotes
Ottawa
glover78 wrote:
May 27th, 2016 11:31 am
Cool, I'll give them a look and possibly even post my questions on there.

I actually would want some college/single 20-30 groups since they'd be the ones to fuel the nightlife and even competitive sports, which I'd definitely want to dabble in.
I think that what you and your Mom would like for a cruise experience is quite different.
Cruise lines are generally not a "party" atmosphere with the exception of Carnival...on the Carribean cruises in the winter.
Alaska cruises are quite sedentary and for nature lovers.
William W wrote:
May 27th, 2016 12:44 pm
I think another good question is whether other feels cruise lines have really watered down their "included" offering and nickel and dimes their customers on items that used to be free.
Just like the airlines and resorts, cruise lines have added many things...all for a fee. What you get is a cabin on a ship and meals. Anythng else or above and beyond, you pay extra. There was this belief (or myth) that at one time that cruise lines were all inclusive but that was never true.
There are a lot more things on a ship nowadays, more resturants, more bars, spa's etc but, they ain't free. Exclusions off the ships always had cost you extra.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4259 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 27th, 2016 2:24 pm
I think that what you and your Mom would like for a cruise experience is quite different.
Cruise lines are generally not a "party" atmosphere with the exception of Carnival...on the Carribean cruises in the winter.
Alaska cruises are quite sedentary and for nature lovers.

Just like the airlines and resorts, cruise lines have added many things...all for a fee. What you get is a cabin on a ship and meals. Anythng else or above and beyond, you pay extra. There was this belief (or myth) that at one time that cruise lines were all inclusive but that was never true.
There are a lot more things on a ship nowadays, more resturants, more bars, spa's etc but, they ain't free. Exclusions off the ships always had cost you extra.
Alright, time to look into Carnival.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
1972 posts
194 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 27th, 2016 2:24 pm

I understand the items you mentioned were never included. I was referring to things such as Room Service (NCL), Character Breakfast (RCCL) or Lobsters (NCL) served at the Main Dining room, these items used to be included, now they all carry a charge. Another example of this is cruise lines used to serve a standard 5 course meals in the main dining room. And now, it has been pared down to 3 courses where if you asked for an extra appetizer, some server may give you a strange look. The last time I was on RCCL, as a cost cutting move, items like Grapes, Strawberries or Smoke Salmon are either no longer available or served behind a counter in the buffet.

As mainstream cruise lines move toward a "ferry" model, you'll only find yester years of service or offering on premium cruise line or Disney.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27314 posts
3651 upvotes
Ottawa
William W wrote:
May 27th, 2016 5:55 pm
I understand the items you mentioned were never included. I was referring to things such as Room Service (NCL), Character Breakfast (RCCL) or Lobsters (NCL) served at the Main Dining room, these items used to be included, now they all carry a charge. Another example of this is cruise lines used to serve a standard 5 course meals in the main dining room. And now, it has been pared down to 3 courses where if you asked for an extra appetizer, some server may give you a strange look. The last time I was on RCCL, as a cost cutting move, items like Grapes, Strawberries or Smoke Salmon are either no longer available or served behind a counter in the buffet.

As mainstream cruise lines move toward a "ferry" model, you'll only find yester years of service or offering on premium cruise line or Disney.
We normally cruise on Celebrity and they still have lobster night in the main dining room. The buffet at breakfast and lunch still have smoked salmon and a great variety of foods.
We could still order cabin service form a menu on the TV. We could even order main dining room dinner to our cabin.
Yes, the meals are 3 courses but you can order as many appetizers as you want. I had a dinner where I only chose appetizers and had no problem. I found in the past with the big meals, 5 courses, people were just leaving too much on their plate so, being wise and less wasteful, they pared down the quantity yet allow you to ask for seconds of extras. I think the next step will be to serve you at the buffet instead of letting you overfill your plate and leave it half full n the table. I have seen this far too often on cruises. So, as I said, I do not look at this as a reduced service , just becoming wise and less wasteful.
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
The best cruise I ever went on was Hawaii.Great way to see the Islands and the cruise past a live volcano at night with lava flowing down into the sea was unforgettable!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23654 posts
1588 upvotes
Hamilton
Whatever you do. Don't be late!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27314 posts
3651 upvotes
Ottawa
yao416 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 11:33 am
Whatever you do. Don't be late!
Everyone knows that except every so often the occasional person chooses to ignore the fact.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6632 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote:
I'd like to throw in here. Has the prices of cruising increased significantly? I'm trying to price out cruises and the prices seem to have almost doubled for comparable cruises.
I would say yes, the wife and I cruised Celebrity at the end of 2014, paid around $1,100 Cdn pp including 'Classic Beverage Package' for a veranda, 7 nights, eastern Caribbean. 2 weeks before the cruise left we did see the price dip to $600/pp no beverage package.

Lowest I've seen since is somewhere around $1,500Cdn.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.