Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5011 posts
1866 upvotes
dec12 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 7:55 am
I was thinking of buying a cancellation insurance but probably not worth it.
I don't think there's insurance of any kind that's "worth it" until you need it.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4809 posts
2601 upvotes
@Doubleshot is right, no name changes after final payment (late bookers make final payment when they book, vs a delay)

@Pete_Coach & @sandav are also right about getting last minute passports ...

Additionally, Passport Canada even has a way for folks to fly on a recently expired Passport if need be ... But I think the circumstances & restrictions are fairly unusual (ie Death in the family)

**** Gone to look for the link ***

And lastly,

@Conquistador Is also right about Travel Insurance, you never need it, until you do

Had friends who chose not to buy on a recent trip... Then 1 got sick. They lost close to $ 10 K. They learned that lesson the hard (and very expensive) way
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4809 posts
2601 upvotes
Lol, of course I cannot find the photo link that I saw the other day when I was looking for something else.
(Govt of Canada is notorious for changing web pages all the time)

But it was a photo link, with words on it said something to the affect of:
Passport recently expired and you find yourself in a Family Emergency... We can extend your Passport

Then presumably one would click the photo link for more info on Emergency Services

Today, the Photo Link appears gone, no real surprise, as the wording was no doubt controversial

What I did find was the page on Passport Emergency Services = http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/urgent.asp

The info clearly is aimed at those without Canadian Passports more than it is for Renewals (although both are similar)

No info on a person seeking a Renewal over a Weekend ... Just the 1-800 number

I'm guessing they don't want to advertise that getting an Extension is one of the items in their toolbox, and hence why the photo link that I saw was taken down.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8765 posts
1470 upvotes
Markham
Anyone been to Mediterranean cruise? (For 8 days 7 nights to Venice, Croatia, Greece...), dhow do you like it? We want to go to Santorini.

The ship is rhapsody of the seas which has only 7.8 tons. Last cruise I was is at Carnival Conquest which has 11 tonnes. Does size matter for the fun at the cruise?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 30, 2009
785 posts
302 upvotes
Mediterranean cruises have port-heavy itineraries so I don't think the ship matters that much. Of course, if you are interested more in onboard activities than shore excursions then that's a different matter. When I am on a cruise, I want to visit as many places as I can and not stay on the ship so Mediterranean cruises are definitely my first choice for a cruise as there are very few sea days. Personally, I don't understamd why anyone goes on a Mediterranean cruise and stays on the ship.

I love Greece (the food especially), but I've never been to Santorini though. Croatia is really nice and cheap. I'm not a fan of Venice. It"s really unique and St. Mark's Square is a must see, but the city is a big tourist trap.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 5:38 pm
Anyone been to Mediterranean cruise? (For 8 days 7 nights to Venice, Croatia, Greece...), dhow do you like it? We want to go to Santorini.

The ship is rhapsody of the seas which has only 7.8 tons. Last cruise I was is at Carnival Conquest which has 11 tonnes. Does size matter for the fun at the cruise?
We have been on 3. 2 leaving Rome and one departing from Barcelona.
We love cruising because get to see many places and never have to pack or unpack your bags more than once.
We did one that did Venice, Dubrovnick, Montenegro (and a few other places)and loved it. We did another that included Sanotrini and enjoyed that a lot too. Santorini is one busy little island (We loved it and will go back). Getting from the ship to the village of Fira and Oia can be time consuming. You have 3 ways, one, take a ship excursion and it takes you to another area to dock. Or, like everyone else, tender to the dock, then take a funicular to Fira or, take a donkey ride to the top of the hill. (they really stink :)). Depends on how many ships tendered how long it will take to get up and back down again.
Here is a site that will let you now what ships will be in port at the same time as your ship http://ports.cruisett.com/
As for the ships, the Conquest has 2900 passengers and the Rhapsody has 2400. Not much difference.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5011 posts
1866 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 5:38 pm

Been on several Mediterranean itineraries and to the places you mentioned more than once.

All of Santorini, Venice, & Dubrovnik are fantastic ports.

If you're into Game of Thrones, there's a tour in Dubrovnik that takes you to several of the sites that are used in the series and you'll definitely recognize lots of them. You can enter the walled city for no charge but if you'd like to walk the top of the walls (about 2 km & recommended) there is a charge for that. If you have time and would like to have a drink in a rather unique bar, ask for directions to the Buza (Boozey) Bar.

In Santorini, skip the donkey ride either up or down the hill and use the cable car (it's not a funicular). Walk the short distance to the bus station, buy a round-trip ticket, and take the bus to Oia (pronounced ee-ah) where you'll see the stereotypical Greece (the place that you see in the majority of Greek travel ads). When returning in the afternoon you can spend some time around Fira before going back down to the tenders. Note that the line-up for the cable car will likely be lengthy with everyone trying to get back to the ship so you could walk down (same path as the donkeys so watch your step...easier going down that up).

Venice has been discussed lots on this board. Use the search function to find all you'll need to know about that.

I'd love to do your itinerary again. Have fun. (And, no, size of the ship won't matter.)
Last edited by Conquistador on Jul 20th, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4809 posts
2601 upvotes
@Pete_Coach & @Conquistador just want to say thanks for your lovely descriptions of these Adriatic & Med Cruises.

This is on our short list for places to see after Retirement.

You guys just confirmed again that it remains in the Top 5 Must Dos. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2025 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 9:37 pm

In Santorini, skip the donkey ride either up or down the hill and use the cable car (it's not a funicular). Walk the short distance to the bus station, buy a round-trip ticket, and take the bus to Oia (pronounced ee-ah) where you'll see the stereotypicall Greece (the place that you see in the majority of Greek travel ads). When returning in the afternoon you can spend some time around Fira before going back down to the tenders. Note that the line-up for the cable car will likely be lengthy with everyone trying to get back to the ship so you could walk down (same path as the donkeys so watch your step...easier going down that up).

Thanks for the great info.
On a cruise in October which goes to Israel and then Greece.

Just to clarify in Santorini do you take a bus to get to the cable car or is the Oia trip separate from the cable car.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5011 posts
1866 upvotes
GTT1 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 11:57 am
Thanks for the great info.
On a cruise in October which goes to Israel and then Greece.

Just to clarify in Santorini do you take a bus to get to the cable car or is the Oia trip separate from the cable car.
You're welcome.

Ships don't dock in Santorini so you'll need to take the ship's tenders. Where the tenders dock is where the cable car/donkey rides are unless, as PeteCoach said, you take a ship excursion where you'll be tendered to a different spot to join your excursion.

Once you get to the top you're in the town of Fira and it's a short walk to the bus station to catch the buses to Oia. These are separate transportation arrangements. I'm not aware of a combo deal for cable car and bus.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2025 posts
68 upvotes
Niagara area
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:24 pm
You're welcome.

Ships don't dock in Santorini so you'll need to take the ship's tenders. Where the tenders dock is where the cable car/donkey rides are unless, as PeteCoach said, you take a ship excursion where you'll be tendered to a different spot to join your excursion.

Once you get to the top you're in the town of Fira and it's a short walk to the bus station to catch the buses to Oia. These are separate transportation arrangements. I'm not aware of a combo deal for cable car and bus.
Thanks again, Got it. We are not taking an excursion so good to know.

Cable car for sure I could walk down, not up but my wife couldn't.

Images
  • Santorni.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3858 posts
334 upvotes
Scarborough
GTT1 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:29 pm
Thanks again, Got it. We are not taking an excursion so good to know.

Cable car for sure I could walk down, not up but my wife couldn't.

I did the excusion and glad I did it in Santorini. The walk is full of donkey crap.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
GateGuardian wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 7:47 pm
I did the excusion and glad I did it in Santorini. The walk is full of donkey crap.
That is for sure. Thing is the line ups were quite long (to go down) so lots of people walked down, but you could smell them on the tender Smiling Face With Open Mouth
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous