• Jul 21st, 2017 9:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3754 posts
512 upvotes
Regina
any good deals for a 7 dayer + out of the states balcony or oceanview?
Jul 25, 2008
687 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
mcewen wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 12:46 pm
EDIT: all these questions are good questions, especially for the newbie... however.... nothing against RFD at all... but the best place to ask them is cruise critic. That is the premiere site for All Things Cruising. There are some things about the site that I find pathetic (can't share deals, some topics are not permitted to be discussed, no private messaging abilities, etc)... but for information about a cruise.. it can't be beat. Also.. be sure to sign up for your sailings Roll Call to get to know people before you sail. They even arrange meet and greets, sometimes with the ship's captain and officers.

Enjoy your vacation, and don't be too scared the first time you flush the toilet! (You will understand after you flush the first time!! hahaha).
Thanks - I really don't feel like signing up on CruiseCritic in order to use the forums :/
I'm not too worried about the toilets. I stayed in the Himalyan Mountains and some places required a bucket of water to be poured down the toilet in order for it to flush.
GateGuardian wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 2:51 pm
Windjammer is buffet, but not open 24/7
Main Dining Room is ordering off a menu. (think going to a dinner at a banquet hall)
I've never used cash to load up SeaPass. If you use cash, you have to put down a $500 deposit. and the lines to get the money back is LOOOONG on dembarkation day.
Room service is free during the day, but there is a delivery charge after certain time (midnight I think)
There is a small bar fridge, loaded with drinks. You can ask the room attendant to remove them.
Usually 1 US and 1 European outlet by the desk in each room. The newer ships have USB ports. Bring a power bar if you have lots of stuff to plug in.
RCI uses generic photos, so some but most ships have curtains between the bed and sofa for balcony rooms.
You C&A does not come in effect until AFTER your first cruise.
For RCI, you're allowed to bring two wine bottles per room.
If you arrive at 12pm, you should be able to get on the ship right after you register.
Bringing food off the ship depends of the port you're staying at. Best not to do it.
Thank you for the helpful information! One more question, can we retrieve our cash back from our SeaPass on any other days, and not just dembarkation?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1437 posts
465 upvotes
Ottawa
We're headed down on a 7 day Carribean cruise in December. First time. Can anyone here recommend a packing list (for guy's clothing) which also covers 2 captain's dinners. Thanks
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3718 posts
278 upvotes
Scarborough
Didi_beee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 10:58 pm
Thanks - I really don't feel like signing up on CruiseCritic in order to use the forums :/
I'm not too worried about the toilets. I stayed in the Himalyan Mountains and some places required a bucket of water to be poured down the toilet in order for it to flush.

Thank you for the helpful information! One more question, can we retrieve our cash back from our SeaPass on any other days, and not just dembarkation?
The deposit is more for if you F*** up the room I think. If you have a CC, best to put your CC down as deposit. Then on the last day, use cash to pay off whatever balance you have, and then they want charge you for anything.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3954 upvotes
Ottawa
sandav wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 5:11 pm
We're headed down on a 7 day Carribean cruise in December. First time. Can anyone here recommend a packing list (for guy's clothing) which also covers 2 captain's dinners. Thanks
Take whatever you need for the day time. For the "formal"nights dinner, I normally take 2 pairs of pants and a sport coat ( a suit if you wish). I do not take a tie and there has never been problem. Dinner in the main dining room and specialty restaurants require pants. Lately, I have seen many men that do not even wear sport coats, just open neck shirts.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3598 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
Never been on a cruise, we're thinking about booking a cruise on RC Oasis of the Seas or Allure. How does gratuities work, is it included in the price of the cruise. As for formal nights, business casual is ok?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3954 upvotes
Ottawa
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 11:52 pm
Never been on a cruise, we're thinking about booking a cruise on RC Oasis of the Seas or Allure. How does gratuities work, is it included in the price of the cruise. As for formal nights, business casual is ok?
You can (and normally do) pre pay the gratuities in the cost of the cruise. In my opinion, i ti much better pre paying than filling little envelopes for all the various attendants (and cheaper too as you tend to over tip in the envelope).
Formal nights are not mandatory. The dress has changed and tuxedos and evening gowns are no longer required (although some folks like to dress up). Business casual is more than enough. I see khakis and golf shirts being worn without anyone saying anything.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3214 posts
542 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 8:03 am
You can (and normally do) pre pay the gratuities in the cost of the cruise. In my opinion, i ti much better pre paying than filling little envelopes for all the various attendants (and cheaper too as you tend to over tip in the envelope).
Formal nights are not mandatory. The dress has changed and tuxedos and evening gowns are no longer required (although some folks like to dress up). Business casual is more than enough. I see khakis and golf shirts being worn without anyone saying anything.
I didn't think anybody did the envelopes anymore it's automatically added , at least it was to my upcoming Norwegian Cruise.

It's also great not to pack for formal nights because there isn't one on NCL ! I found that to be a pain the last time I was on RCCL.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3954 upvotes
Ottawa
tkl wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 8:03 am
I didn't think anybody did the envelopes anymore it's automatically added , at least it was to my upcoming Norwegian Cruise.

It's also great not to pack for formal nights because there isn't one on NCL ! I found that to be a pain the last time I was on RCCL.
You can choose how you distribute the gratuities. Some cruise lines include the gratuities in the cost of the cruise others allow you to disburse them.
I am with you on the "formal" night stuff. I am on vacation, especially on a winter caribbean cruise, I want to pack shorts and bathing suits, not jackets and ties :)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3598 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks guys for the info. I really don't want to pack formal wear just for a few hours. Now back to gratuities, I'm guessing pre paid still doesn't include room service. Am I right?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3954 upvotes
Ottawa
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 11:11 am
Thanks guys for the info. I really don't want to pack formal wear just for a few hours. Now back to gratuities, I'm guessing pre paid still doesn't include room service. Am I right?
Formal or semi formal is not required at all. You have lots of options if you choose not to "participate" in the formal night (if they even have one).
Room service is included in the cruise fare. You can make additional tips to any servers (bars, restaurants, room service) at any time if you wish when gratuities are pre-paid.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1787 posts
98 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 13th, 2016 12:22 pm
Formal or semi formal is not required at all. You have lots of options if you choose not to "participate" in the formal night (if they even have one).
Room service is included in the cruise fare. You can make additional tips to any servers (bars, restaurants, room service) at any time if you wish when gratuities are pre-paid.
some lines have now instituted a charge for room service. NCL for one.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1731 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Planning a 7 day Mediterranean cruise on board NCL Epic from Barcelona port with a group of 9 (ages: 7-74) in early May, anyone has done that exact same one, any tips would be welcome. I will check out Cruisecritic but RFDers opinion matters more to me.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1787 posts
98 upvotes
loonie wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 11:51 am
Planning a 7 day Mediterranean cruise on board NCL Epic from Barcelona port with a group of 9 (ages: 7-74) in early May, anyone has done that exact same one, any tips would be welcome. I will check out Cruisecritic but RFDers opinion matters more to me.
If getting a deal is what is important, I can see how RFD opinion means a lot.

If you are looking for quality information about lines, excursions, ports, etc etc etc... the Cruise Critic folks are much MUCH more knowledgeable. No disrespect to the RFD community, but CC is the foremost cruise website for a reason.....
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27938 posts
3954 upvotes
Ottawa
loonie wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 11:51 am
I have cruised out of Barcelona. Are you returning to Barcelona or is the cruise ending somewhere else.
Cruise Critic is far and away better for cruise line details, ship information, port information etc. There is even a Roll Call for the cruise you are on so you can connect with folks on the same cruise.
One tip, with a group that large, I would start to figure out what to do in each port and start selecting tours and excursions....but not the ones form the ship. Ship excursions are generally double or more the cost of a private tour. Be aware, European shore excursions are not cheap. Some ports are along way from their intended destination (Cittivecchia port is over an hour form Rome and Livorno port is also over an hour form Florence)