• Jul 21st, 2017 9:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1720 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks @mcewen and @Pete_Coach , the trip starts and ends at Barcelona port. I am going to start navigating the cruise critic forums for tips soon. What if we can book the Haven family villa suite with shore excursion credits. Will that still end up costing more?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6997 posts
402 upvotes
Not sure what else to add:

- CRUISE CRITIC is the best site for reviews and tips and info

- Been to Alaska, def an older crowd, we were the only young people there (thirty-ish). But it was AMAZING. And we did not expect party atmosphere though.

- I think Royal Caribbean has a nice mix of younger and older people. Then again I have not been on many cruise lines so I cannot compare.

- Never had issues with food or what is included, we eat like pigs and for me and my fiance, we each a total of 3 apps, 3 main courses and like 6 desserts lol. Never a strange look and we always get extra lobster and sometimes things not on the menu like onion rings (my fiance had an issue with fried foods haha).

- I've also never stayed in any other room other than the cheapest options. I can't justify paying a ton more for a balcony so I never did those. I spent almost all my time doing stuff around the ship and no time to relax on a balcony.

- Only been on Carnival (as a teen so not many memories but it was fun), Princess (really good food), Royal (a lot more fun than Princess but food was NOT as good but still very very good). I assume Royal is pretty pricey now due to all the amenities and giant fancy ships. I heard good things about Oceana too.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27342 posts
3670 upvotes
Ottawa
loonie wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 1:15 am
Thanks @mcewen and @Pete_Coach , the trip starts and ends at Barcelona port. I am going to start navigating the cruise critic forums for tips soon. What if we can book the Haven family villa suite with shore excursion credits. Will that still end up costing more?
Not sure what Haven Family suite credits are but if all your family can get on shore excursions at every port with them then OK. Most of the time you will not have enough on board credits. In Europe excursions are in the $100 USD pus per person.Having said that, ship offered excursions are generally on a big bus and the pace is that of the slowest person and you have to wait for everyone before you move on....can be cumbersome.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7751 posts
487 upvotes
loonie wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 11:51 am
Planning a 7 day Mediterranean cruise on board NCL Epic from Barcelona port with a group of 9 (ages: 7-74) in early May, anyone has done that exact same one, any tips would be welcome. I will check out Cruisecritic but RFDers opinion matters more to me.
I did that one back in 2012. Biggest tip is to book everything in advance. Train tickets. Coliseum, Vatican, etc. Saves you so much precious time not having to line up.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1376 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'll be going on the Costa Mediterranea on a Mediterranean cruise in March and all I've read are terrible reviews about the service staff and that they charge even for water during meals?!?!?
Anyone have input on Costa cruises?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27342 posts
3670 upvotes
Ottawa
stovetop wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 2:31 pm
I'll be going on the Costa Mediterranea on a Mediterranean cruise in March and all I've read are terrible reviews about the service staff and that they charge even for water during meals?!?!?
On their website or better yet on Cruise Critic website you can get correct answers from former and present gusts. You can actually go n the Roll call for your particular cruise and ask all the questions you have.
As for charging, most cruise lines nowadays charge extra for many things. Premium water is extra charge everywhere. Your price includes the trip and your meals in the dining room and maybe a bit more but, all the other stuff is extra.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Jun 21, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes
Rocky View, AB
Anyone have any tips for Caribbean cruises (planning South Caribbean) in August. Looking at going this August for our honeymoon, but unsure if this destination is good in August due to heat and/or hurricane risk.
Jul 17, 2011
159 posts
59 upvotes
stovetop wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 2:31 pm

I thought the staff was fine (Costa Favolosa). No charge for water at the buffet. I don't think there was a charge for water in the main dining room for dinner either (again unless bottled water) but it could be that we nevered ordered water but always a beer or a wine at dinner, so I'm not 100% sure. At breakfast and dinner they had some other free drinks (not pop or alcoholic though) as well. The only thing that got a little annoying were the announcements in 4 or 5 languages. The only other line I've been on is Holland America and I think they were a little step above Costa for a 4* ship.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27342 posts
3670 upvotes
Ottawa
nbcoolums wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 4:21 pm
Anyone have any tips for Caribbean cruises (planning South Caribbean) in August. Looking at going this August for our honeymoon, but unsure if this destination is good in August due to heat and/or hurricane risk.
Well, first off, August is smack in the middle of hurricane season. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=146
We never cruise in the Caribbean for that reason but also, it is very hot and humid and can rain relentlessly.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9339 posts
3522 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Just got off the Anthem, Royal Caribbean less than 2 weeks ago. Was an RFD deal ~$3100US - $425 OBC for 12 nights, family of 2 + 2 kids, did our own port activities, no flight cost, drove to NJ.

Ports: Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Antigua, Martinique, Barbados, St.Kitts

Vid below (shot on iPhone). Can answer any questions :)

Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1720 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
How does everyone book the cruises, direct through the cruise line or third party?
Jul 25, 2008
684 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Just booked a Disney cruise departing next month for guaranteed oceanview stateroom with restrictions. How likely are we to get upgraded to a higher stateroom?

I see on some videos that Disney has split bathrooms and an actual bath tub?

Also, we fly into Orlando the night before and depart from Port Canaveral. Can anyone recommend a shuttle company that will pick us up from our Orlando airport area hotel. Disney charges $70usd round trip. We also have a 15 month old with us so it can't be car style since we want to avoid lugging the car seat around just for transportation to and from.

Also, since we booked pretty late, a lot of the character meet ups are fully booked. I was able to get a ticket for frozen meet and greet but its more for my son. Can he still come even though I'm the one holding the ticket.

Any other tips and advice for Disney. This is our 2nd cruise ever and RCI was our first which we enjoyed.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1630 posts
315 upvotes
Montreal
That's a great video Ancaster....it could be the real promo for the AOS! Brings back memories to when I was on the ship in September....no snow, but we were in a hurricaine Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1770 posts
89 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 8:46 am
Just booked a Disney cruise departing next month for guaranteed oceanview stateroom with restrictions. How likely are we to get upgraded to a higher stateroom?

I see on some videos that Disney has split bathrooms and an actual bath tub?

Also, we fly into Orlando the night before and depart from Port Canaveral. Can anyone recommend a shuttle company that will pick us up from our Orlando airport area hotel. Disney charges $70usd round trip. We also have a 15 month old with us so it can't be car style since we want to avoid lugging the car seat around just for transportation to and from.

Also, since we booked pretty late, a lot of the character meet ups are fully booked. I was able to get a ticket for frozen meet and greet but its more for my son. Can he still come even though I'm the one holding the ticket.

Any other tips and advice for Disney. This is our 2nd cruise ever and RCI was our first which we enjoyed.
Don't know any details about Disney cruises.. however.. is that $70pp or total? total might not be so bad for 4 ppl.

If it is pp... research this:
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mco ... +canaveral
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9339 posts
3522 upvotes
Southern Ontario
loonie wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 12:46 am
How does everyone book the cruises, direct through the cruise line or third party?
The last few times we went, an RFDer posted a promo, or sign up for the cruise line you're interested and they'll send you promo email.

I then enter the same info on CruiseCompete where the base price is the same for everyone, and I wait for TA's to email me with the highest onboard credit (OBC). Once boarded, OBC can be used to pay gratuities which everyone pretty much pays unless their unhappy with something.

You can also watch for a price drop prior to the final payment deadline as you would have only put down a deposit. fwiw, Disney rarely ever price drops in this period (unless you bought regular price and didn't buy a promo that is released after), and the lowest price is as a repeat customer, 10% off the current rate for the following year, it never gets better than that.

Our kids are older, so it's RCI for us now.