• Jun 24th, 2017 1:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8667 posts
1448 upvotes
Somewhere
Booking Norwegian Escape for mid-April. $1116 taxes and fees in for a guaranteed interior room.

Any tips for this ship? I'm a fourth-time cruiser, first time on Norwegian!
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9118 posts
3350 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Didi_beee wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 8:46 am
Just booked a Disney cruise departing next month for guaranteed oceanview stateroom with restrictions. How likely are we to get upgraded to a higher stateroom?

I see on some videos that Disney has split bathrooms and an actual bath tub?

Also, we fly into Orlando the night before and depart from Port Canaveral. Can anyone recommend a shuttle company that will pick us up from our Orlando airport area hotel. Disney charges $70usd round trip. We also have a 15 month old with us so it can't be car style since we want to avoid lugging the car seat around just for transportation to and from.

Also, since we booked pretty late, a lot of the character meet ups are fully booked. I was able to get a ticket for frozen meet and greet but its more for my son. Can he still come even though I'm the one holding the ticket.

Any other tips and advice for Disney. This is our 2nd cruise ever and RCI was our first which we enjoyed.
An upgrade is possible depending on vacancies but usually they do lateral moves within the same cabin class. Family of the Day (lottery) sometimes gets a big suite! We won it on land, originally booked a room at the Contemporary DW after our cruise, and was moved to the 2000sf penthouse for our whole stay.

Yes, it's a mini tub :). I recommend a shoe organizer for your closet and an extension cord terminating in multiple outlets for your electronics/chargers if you didn't do that on RC.

Orlando to Canaveral is about 50min, that's why it's pricey. You can still add a baby seat loaner when you rent, about $50 all in using CarRentalSavers, more on the way back ~$100 or more, still less than $70x4, and you have mobile freedom, eg; you get it the whole day assuming you are staying at a hotel the night before and you can drop it off at whoever you go with (Budget,Avis,etc), they're all 5min from the terminal with free shuttle.

You have to sign up for meets? The last 3x we went, they had specific times and you just lined up. Also, the main characters walk around the ship, sooner or later you bump into them. The meetup is just designed to sell you photos lit up with softboxes. You are allowed to use your own camera at them.

Lookup your exact cruise thread on DCL forums and sign up for the Fish Extender Club, it's organized by a cruiser, not Disney. It's a random gift exchange program. Almost every day, my girls would find a little present for them outside our door, some cool stuff from around North America depending on where cruisers are from.

You can also bring a white pillowcase or T-shirt to Guest Services and it will be signed by the characters ready to be picked up (free) at the end.

Lots of other tips, there's a 100+ page thread on DCL forum.
Happy sailing!
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7980 posts
1123 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 11:55 pm
Just got off the Anthem, Royal Caribbean less than 2 weeks ago. Was an RFD deal ~$3100US - $425 OBC for 12 nights, family of 2 + 2 kids, did our own port activities, no flight cost, drove to NJ.

Ports: Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Antigua, Martinique, Barbados, St.Kitts

Vid below (shot on iPhone). Can answer any questions :)

where did you find this deal exactly? when i do a quote for Royal Caribean with a family of 4 im getting 8000$ CAD for thier big ships with Balcony.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9118 posts
3350 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rocking23nf wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 10:33 am
where did you find this deal exactly? when i do a quote for Royal Caribean with a family of 4 im getting 8000$ CAD for thier big ships with Balcony.
RFD last year here:
royal-caribbean-kids-sail-free-bonus-2031620/

CriuseCompete replies quote you in US and mine was ~$3100US, close to PunkyHunky's CDN price. CabinClearanceStore replied with the highest OBC $325 and RCI gave us an extra $100.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26616 posts
3292 upvotes
Ottawa
loonie wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 12:46 am
How does everyone book the cruises, direct through the cruise line or third party?
I look for deals and then call the cruise line directly with the information I gathered and they always have matched what I was trying to get. That way I deal with only the cruise line and not third party. If there are any issues dealing direct with the line is always best.
I do this with hotels and airlines as well.
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome! Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26616 posts
3292 upvotes
Ottawa
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 1:38 pm
Will they match OBC? Thx
On my recent booking they offered more.
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome! Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9118 posts
3350 upvotes
Southern Ontario
300ft above sea level inside the North Star, Anthem of the Seas

Jul 3, 2010
109 posts
1 upvote
We, 2 adults, are planning to take a one week (or 10 days) cruise of Mediterranean in mid May. This is our first time. We just want to relax on the ship and tour the cities. Which liner (Celebrity???) should we choose, which city in Europe should we start and can fly in from Toronto, should we choose balcony or interior, and which on-line site or agent can provide competitive pricing? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13201 posts
3028 upvotes
Ottawa
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 1:38 pm
Will they match OBC? Thx
First cruise, I booked directly and the 2nd one through cruiseshipcenters and got more than what the cruiseline offered.
OBC credit should be a standard offering, even if it's not advertised; just have to ask.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26616 posts
3292 upvotes
Ottawa
johnnycash10 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:23 pm
We, 2 adults, are planning to take a one week (or 10 days) cruise of Mediterranean in mid May. This is our first time. We just want to relax on the ship and tour the cities. Which liner (Celebrity???) should we choose, which city in Europe should we start and can fly in from Toronto, should we choose balcony or interior, and which on-line site or agent can provide competitive pricing? Thanks in advance for any advice.
We have done 2 Celebrity cruises in the Mediterranean.. one departing from Barcelona and one departing from Rome.Both were 12 day cruises.
You can fly to either one of the cities from Toronto.
It also depends on what part of the Med and cities you want to see. Western, Barcelona, Monaco, Florence, Rome, Dubrovnick, Venice Kotor etc and Eastern, Rome, Messina, Athens, Santorini, Rhodes, Mykonos, Kusadasi.
Points to ponder, if leaving Barcelona and stopping in Florence and Rome, both cities are well over an hour from the ports so a couple hours are just transport to get to the city. Port intensive cruises in Europe will wipe you out as you will have to get up early and will be gone all day and do it again the next day and even the day after.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1688 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 4:50 pm
We have done 2 Celebrity cruises in the Mediterranean.. one departing from Barcelona and one departing from Rome.Both were 12 day cruises.
You can fly to either one of the cities from Toronto.
It also depends on what part of the Med and cities you want to see. Western, Barcelona, Monaco, Florence, Rome, Dubrovnick, Venice Kotor etc and Eastern, Rome, Messina, Athens, Santorini, Rhodes, Mykonos, Kusadasi.
Points to ponder, if leaving Barcelona and stopping in Florence and Rome, both cities are well over an hour from the ports so a couple hours are just transport to get to the city. Port intensive cruises in Europe will wipe you out as you will have to get up early and will be gone all day and do it again the next day and even the day after.
Doing exactly that and having some misgivings, too late now though. Where to stay in Barcelona to be in a convenient location for airport, port and attractions in Barcelona, any hotel recommendations? Any one has positive experience with Airbnb?