• Mar 20th, 2017 9:52 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Momof3cuties wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:16 am
Yes we're looking at Caribbean cruises. Want to go somewhere warm and we prefer cruises to all inclusives.

I would not want to risk arriving so close to the ships departure in the winter. Too risky. Also we like being on the ship early so we can start enjoying our vacation. The only thing that appealed to me was the guarantee offered with the cruise line airfare. But I think we will probably just do what we've done before (always gone in spring or summer) and just book our own flights arriving the day before.
They have more flights in the winter so you can fly out at 6:00am, or if you want to be really safe, just fly in the night before and book a hotel.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11745 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
Momof3cuties wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:16 am
Just curious has anyone ever booked airfare with their cruise (through the cruise line). How does it compare in price to booking separately. I've just booked airfare separately but I was thinking that for trips in the winter it could be helpful having it booked through the cruise line since they will fly you to the first port if you miss the ship because of delays.
I just fly out the night before and stay over at a hotel. This way you get to see the city and not worried about weather/plane delays.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5018 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I agree, never risk missing the ship as it would be nearly impossible to catch it afterwards. Always fly in the day before and stay over night in a hotel near the docks. If that flight happens to be cancelled then you still can make arrangements.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
chimaican wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:24 pm
I agree, never risk missing the ship as it would be nearly impossible to catch it afterwards. Always fly in the day before and stay over night in a hotel near the docks. If that flight happens to be cancelled then you still can make arrangements.
Non-winter months you'll be fine. No need to stay overnight before your cruise, although, Miami or Fort Lauderdale has some pretty nice beaches.

We've always flown in the mornings from YYZ to Florida for cruises the day of and have never ever been late for the ship. They also keep track of flights that are flown in for cruises so they can slightly delay departure times. One time our ship (the Oasis of the Seas) left at 6:00pm instead of the scheduled 5:00pm because of a late Delta flight. They just made it up by going faster overnight to make our first port.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5018 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
JKKim2983 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:32 pm
Non-winter months you'll be fine. No need to stay overnight before your cruise, although, Miami or Fort Lauderdale has some pretty nice beaches.

We've always flown in the mornings from YYZ to Florida for cruises the day of and have never ever been late for the ship. They also keep track of flights that are flown in for cruises so they can slightly delay departure times. One time our ship (the Oasis of the Seas) left at 6:00pm instead of the scheduled 5:00pm because of a late Delta flight. They just made it up by going faster overnight to make our first port.
Oh it can happen in the summer too. My plane got stuck on the Miami tarmac for over an hour because of a red-alert (thunderstorms) meanwhile another was temporarily diverted to Tampa. Our plane couldn't taxi to the gate. Luckily like you said the ship waited because we and other guests had paid for airport to seaport transfers so the ship was obligated to wait. We missed the muster station drills and the ship left 1.5hrs late. Thankfully the ship did wait because it was my honeymoon. Lol.

Lesson learned, always fly in at least a day beforehand.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2387 posts
966 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:32 pm

I would never count on them delaying leaving. Unless you bought the cruise line airfare they aren't responsible if your late.

And I've had planes delayed for many reasons.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Momof3cuties wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:45 pm
I would never count on them delaying leaving. Unless you bought the cruise line airfare they aren't responsible if your late.

And I've had planes delayed for many reasons.
I guess we've been lucky then because in the 5 times we've gone on cruises that left the port of Fort Lauderdale, we haven't been late at all and we've flown down on the day of in July, August and October. Three times we flew Air Transat, and the other two times was Westjet. Last cruise was actually last Thanksgiving, in fact. We were in our stateroom by 2-3pm in our experiences.

We've been delayed leaving Las Vegas more often than not though! I guess Vegas wants to keep you in Vegas as long as they can so you'd spend more.. lol