Travel

Which cruise line has the best drip coffee?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 2:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4188 posts
1279 upvotes

Which cruise line has the best drip coffee?

So, I have been on several different cruises and the coffee is consistently horrible. Even if you go to the specialty cafes and pay for espressos, etc. they are still using low-quality coffee.

Has anyone been on a cruise where the drip coffee is good?

We have now resorted to bringing our own coffee and french press so that we have what we need when cruising but I just thought I'd see if anyone found a cruise line that serves good coffee.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1150 posts
388 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I understand a lot of cruisecos use liquid concentrate (i.e., syrup) coffee - just add hot water and dilute. It's not great but not all that terrible either.

Celebrity appears to use Lavazza (as in, name boldly emblazoned on the coffee dispensers) drip coffee (at least they did just over a year ago).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3424 posts
2379 upvotes
I don't mind the Lavazza coffee they serve on Celebrity. We've been on 3 Celebrity cruises... not the best but certainly drinkable.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18001 posts
2666 upvotes
GTA West
Probably better to bring your own coffee supplies, rather than choose a cruise line based on their coffee-making process.

Aeropress, hand grinder, beans in a tightly sealed bag. As long as you have a source of hot water such as a kettle, problem solved IMO.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6767 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
No kettle allowed on board the one time we attempted to bring one..
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18001 posts
2666 upvotes
GTA West
frogger wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 8:13 pm
No kettle allowed on board the one time we attempted to bring one..
Yes but they probably have hot water dispensers in the bars / restaurants, so you can make tea.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
652 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 1:33 pm
So, I have been on several different cruises and the coffee is consistently horrible. Even if you go to the specialty cafes and pay for espressos, etc. they are still using low-quality coffee.

Has anyone been on a cruise where the drip coffee is good?

We have now resorted to bringing our own coffee and french press so that we have what we need when cruising but I just thought I'd see if anyone found a cruise line that serves good coffee.
Oasis class ships have Starbucks

I find princess international cafe drip coffee not bad either and always get coffee card
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6721 posts
4239 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Another vote for the Premium Coffees / Coffee Shops on board.
Beverages served there are tons better than the free teas & coffees found elsewhere
But they are expensive
So... Good use of an On-board Beverage Program
Or if you want to save money, bring your supplies
Hot Water on-ship is not difficult to come by
(Room Service - MDR - Restaurants etc)
Although as pointed out, most lines don’t allow Pax to bring Kettles or Infusers (fire hazard)

Some lines have those mini coffee machines like Hotel Rooms ashore
But they are still pretty rare for most lines
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4188 posts
1279 upvotes
Princess Cruises used to have in-room coffee makers (not the Keurig kind) several years back but I almost wonder if they have removed them now as all cruise ships seem to disallow in-room appliances for fire safety reasons. Bringing your own supplies sounds like the best way to not get caught without your own coffee.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1150 posts
388 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
choclover wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 11:08 am
Princess Cruises used to have in-room coffee makers (not the Keurig kind) several years back but I almost wonder if they have removed them now as all cruise ships seem to disallow in-room appliances for fire safety reasons. Bringing your own supplies sounds like the best way to not get caught without your own coffee.
Revenue issue, I wager. Better to get (lots of) money from the punters at the pay coffee stations than provide complimentary capsules that cost money.

FWIW, it's been reported that cruise ships sailing out of the U.K. have kettles in the cabins (and disappear when the ship rotates out of the U.K.), so clearly not an issue with safety or fire.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1150 posts
388 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 8:42 pm
Yes but they probably have hot water dispensers in the bars / restaurants, so you can make tea.
Those dispensers are nowhere near hot enough to make black tea (92-95C is a long ways away from 100C as far as that goes).
Aug 3, 2017
78 posts
39 upvotes
This is very much a matter of personal taste. I have cruised the three main lines that sail out of NA (RCCL/NCL/Carnival) several times and have really only found the premium coffee to be tolerable, with a preference for the RCCL stuff.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4188 posts
1279 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:39 pm
Those dispensers are nowhere near hot enough to make black tea (92-95C is a long ways away from 100C as far as that goes).
You are right about the hot water dispensers. I have found that you have to try different ones to find out which is the super hot setting. Ultimately, we ended up getting hot water from the coffee pay station on our last cruise because was actually hot enough to make a decent press coffee. Ironic?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9408 posts
1933 upvotes
Markham
Other than the one in the morning, I use drink teas for the rest of the time. Yes, regular coffee on the cruiseships are not the best for sure.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1794 posts
1239 upvotes
Holland America Line has Nespresso machines in its Neptune and Pinnacle suites.