Travel

Which cruise line has the best drip coffee?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 2:14 am
Jan 14, 2017
291 posts
147 upvotes
Celebrity and DIsney cruise line are just fine to me.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1149 posts
387 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
choclover wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:20 am
You are right about the hot water dispensers. I have found that you have to try different ones to find out which is the super hot setting. Ultimately, we ended up getting hot water from the coffee pay station on our last cruise because was actually hot enough to make a decent press coffee. Ironic?
Hot water for drip coffee has a optimum temperature range, too hot and you burn the coffee, too cold and you don't extract all the oils or some such. According to Technivorm, the optimal range is 196-205F (~91-96C). For some cruisecos mentioned, they use concentrate coffee so it doesn't really matter how hot the water is as long as it is served at drinking temperature. I wager that's a lot, lot lower than 80C so the hot water dispensers can be set much lower. Of course, the better coffee at the pay-stations have to make coffee at proper temperature to justify the price so they should (not necessarily do) use water at the right temperature.

I just fully expect tea to be insipid on cruisecos catering to North Americans (unfortunately all the Britishness supposedly in Canada is lost when it comes to tea served outside homes for the most part - haven't had afternoon tea in Victoria in over 3 decades so I can't comment how good the quality is locally).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6721 posts
4239 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:50 pm
Hot water for drip coffee has a optimum temperature range, too hot and you burn the coffee, too cold and you don't extract all the oils or some such. According to Technivorm, the optimal range is 196-205F (~91-96C). For some cruisecos mentioned, they use concentrate coffee so it doesn't really matter how hot the water is as long as it is served at drinking temperature. I wager that's a lot, lot lower than 80C so the hot water dispensers can be set much lower. Of course, the better coffee at the pay-stations have to make coffee at proper temperature to justify the price so they should (not necessarily do) use water at the right temperature.

I just fully expect tea to be insipid on cruisecos catering to North Americans (unfortunately all the Britishness supposedly in Canada is lost when it comes to tea served outside homes for the most part - haven't had afternoon tea in Victoria in over 3 decades so I can't comment how good the quality is locally).
Good post.

Although I would say for the most part that Tea served here in Canada is just fine.

Tea however served in the USA... is beyond lacking. Most Americans have not a clue about Tea. Ya order it by saying HOT TEA (vs Ice Tea) but after that you never know for sure what is going to show up. They just don’t get it. Not part of their culture whatsoever (thank you Boston Tea Party).

Cruise Ships my experience is certainly closer to what we have here in Restaurants in Canada. Maybe because a ship is far more International in its clientele. Maybe it’s because a lot of the crew comes from Post British Colonial countries... but it’s definitely better than the majority of US Restaurants when it comes to understanding tea.

I have had several GREAT Tea experiences at Sea... most notably on Celebrity Ships. High Afternoon Tea (an Event) served in a Specialty Restaurant... and the other at Celebrity’s Premium Coffee (and Tea) Cafe ... Cafe Al Bacio ... where I first was introduced to the Forte Tea Co. Best tea ever!

The servers at Cafe Al Bacio makes plain old tea in a pot... a very rewarding experience.
So much so, Sea Days you’ll find us cozied up sharing a pot while reading the Newspaper or Magazine.
Nice afternoon ritual.