Travel

Cruise in March, departure at NY NY, fly/drive?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2015 12:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Cruise in March, departure at NY NY, fly/drive?

Fly or drive to NY? Party of 4 (1 infant).
16 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
nyik wrote: Fly or drive to NY? Party of 4 (1 infant).
Personally would fly; parking/driving in New York is a hassle and expensive.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
113 upvotes
Fly from Buffalo. I have many times booked direct BUF to JFK or LGA for under $100 return.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
Just as a quick aside .. if it becomes too problematic to leave from NYC, Baltimore is a great option. Cheaper to park and likely to fly to.

I mention that only if you haven't booked the cruise yet. If you have, then nevermind.
Please keep sigs clean
Feb 24, 2014
30 posts
249 upvotes
Drive to Buffalo. Park your car at Buffalo airport. Fly to NY.
Banned
Jul 23, 2011
498 posts
75 upvotes
Lindsay
have done both NYC and Baltimore...baltimore is easiest or drive to NJ and take train into Manhattan...very easy...cost to park at cruise ship terminal is about $280 for the week...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
To cruise in March, you should aim to arrive 1 day before, just in case of weather delays in your travel to get there. There can still be snow/ice in March, and flying out of Buffalo has its weather related risks.

Parking at the cruise terminal in NY is US$40/day, and that is probably the best parking option there, unless you want to park a lot further away for cheaper and then still need transportation from where you park to the cruise terminal. We bit the bullet on that ourselves.
Oct 24, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Fly. To drive two hours to buffalo, wait around in airport for two hours... you might as well just do the 8 hour drive. Google "cruise parking" and you will come up with a rate around 7 bucks a day for parking. Drive there and back will cost you between 150-250 depending on your car... a flight for one is going to cost you roughly that amount.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
JaeScotia wrote: Google "cruise parking" and you will come up with a rate around 7 bucks a day for parking.
I don't think you'll find parking in Manhattan for $7.00 per day - it's closer to $40 per day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If I fly, and I need to take a cab, do I need to bring my own car seat base? Will Porter/AC charge for stroller + car seat base?
Aug 10, 2005
331 posts
37 upvotes
Thornhill
nyik wrote: If I fly, and I need to take a cab, do I need to bring my own car seat base? Will Porter/AC charge for stroller + car seat base?
You can check in your car sest / base for free and take the stroller to check at the gate for free as well. Cabs will not have a car seat so best to bring your own.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
How much do you save by going through this hassle? Driving to NYC for a vacation would stress me out alone...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
jeremyhalifax88 wrote: We drove to Staten Island from Halifax, NS.. Stayed at the Court House parking right next to the ferry terminal, cost us $67 for 8 days plus we were able to take the free ferry to NYC.
Didn't have any problems whatsoever.
We knew the car would be safe too since its a court house lol
Free ferry from Halifax to NYC? Links?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
jeremyhalifax88 wrote: Read the sentence above, where does it state that we took a free ferry from Halifax to NYC?
Ok I mis-read.

How long is the ferry ride, and where in the NYC? From there, how did you get to the cruise pier?
Mar 25, 2008
150 posts
10 upvotes
Oakville
Have you considered the train? We took a NCL cruise to Bermuda from NYC in June and took Amtrak from Buffalo (Depew) to Manhattan. Buffalo train station also has free parking. The train goes right into Manhattan. Cruise lines will often give a discount code you can use to book Amtrak. I believe we paid $240 total for two adults and one child return. Very inexpensive and free wifi.
Dec 8, 2014
73 posts
85 upvotes
Kanata, ON
The problem with flying is you still can get weather delays in March, and to be safe, you'll want to leave early and spend time there. If so, then flying or mayble's train idea are the way to go.

If you don't want to spend any time in NY before the cruise leaves, look at the overnight bus. Yes, it's painful. But cheap, and _most_ of the time, they will go when planes are grounded.

You can also split the difference if you're on NCL (other lines might also have this) - drive part of the way, stay one night in a hotel with free parking and take a bus to the ship the morning of departure. Four tickets for this aren't much more than one RT from YYZ.

http://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/ ... ch-program

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)