• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 5:52 pm
[OP]
Oct 4, 2017
15 posts
34 upvotes

Cruise - Mediterranean Average Cost?

Hi there,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on average cruise costs in the Mediterranean. I'm currently looking at the Royal Carribean (Rhapsody of the Seas) 7-nights

7 NIGHT
Greece & Croatia Cruise
LEAVING FROM:
Venice, Italy, onboard Rhapsody of the Seas
VISITING:
Venice, Italy | Dubrovnik, Croatia | Kotor, Montenegro | Cruising | Santorini, Greece | Katakolon, Greece | Cruising | Venice, Italy

The cost is $2824 for two people

$1,999.00 per guest (+$115 in taxes and fees)

Supposed discounts:

Discounts & Credits
Flash Sale $68.00
BOGO60 NRD $1,268.00
Savings NRD $68.00

Does ~2.8K for a 7 night cruise make sense? We would have to cover flights ourselves.

Thanks!
8 replies
Dec 20, 2018
312 posts
226 upvotes
RFDBeliever wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:29 pm
Hi there,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on average cruise costs in the Mediterranean. I'm currently looking at the Royal Carribean (Rhapsody of the Seas) 7-nights

7 NIGHT
Greece & Croatia Cruise
LEAVING FROM:
Venice, Italy, onboard Rhapsody of the Seas
VISITING:
Venice, Italy | Dubrovnik, Croatia | Kotor, Montenegro | Cruising | Santorini, Greece | Katakolon, Greece | Cruising | Venice, Italy

The cost is $2824 for two people

$1,999.00 per guest (+$115 in taxes and fees)

Supposed discounts:

Discounts & Credits
Flash Sale $68.00
BOGO60 NRD $1,268.00
Savings NRD $68.00

Does ~2.8K for a 7 night cruise make sense? We would have to cover flights ourselves.

Thanks!
What type of room?

Fwiw I paid $1600pp for balcony on 10 day on Royal princess in 2017 for Mediterranean in may

Paid $2000 pp in 2018 for 11 night's baclony on crown princess Mediterranean
Last edited by StatsGuy on Jan 7th, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2017
15 posts
34 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:42 pm
What type of room?

Fwiw I paid $1600pp for balcony on 10 day on Royal princess in 2017 for Mediterranean in may

Paid $2000 pp in 2018 for 11 night's baclony on crown princess Mediterranean
Inside stateroom. Were your prices a promotion as well?
Dec 20, 2018
312 posts
226 upvotes
RFDBeliever wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:46 pm
Inside stateroom. Were your prices a promotion as well?
I got $150 usd pp in obc and gratuities included
[OP]
Oct 4, 2017
15 posts
34 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:53 pm
I got $150 usd pp in obc and gratuities included
Thanks. Looks like yours may be a better deal. If I go through Costco, they are offering $190 cash card. But that's it. When did you book your cruises? Any insight on when the deals usually surface e.g. Feb?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2377 posts
268 upvotes
North York
i have booked a Mediterranean leaving July 29 - 12 nights Rome to Rome for 3 to a room, ocean view for $5,352.00 CAD - US$220 cash back, free gratuities, and specialty dining for 2 nights on Holland America, it was on a special on black Friday. So your rates seem fair.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7374 posts
4822 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
“Wave Season” ... when Cruiselines have their biggest Sales of the year happen January thru March
(Only better deals are if you are on a cruise & book a cruise)

Subscribe to the websites emails

And when it comes to airfare... look at booking your flights & Travel Insurance thru the Cruiseline ... they allow you to pick whatever dates you want, so you can add on days before or after the cruise

RCL Group’s airfare hook up is called Choice Air / Air2Sea ... often there’s a promo on the cost of the flights for Cruises overseas

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWi ... l_programs

Call RCL direct for further info

(I usually call once I have done some research on my own, and have an idea of my full vacation itinerary, and which dates & Airlines / flights I want to fly on)

Also... while you are deciding things... if you need a breather to think it all thru / sleep on it ... be aware that RCL can put your whole cruise etc ON HOLD for 24 Hours. Helpful to get your head around stuff.

PS... great itinerary. We have a similar cruise with RCL’s sister Celebrity in mind... although it’s a one way voyage thru the Adriatic ... Venice to Rome with stops in the same Eastern European Ports & the Greek Isles
Aug 5, 2007
636 posts
91 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:43 am
“Wave Season” ... when Cruiselines have their biggest Sales of the year happen January thru March
(Only better deals are if you are on a cruise & book a cruise)

Subscribe to the websites emails

And when it comes to airfare... look at booking your flights & Travel Insurance thru the Cruiseline ... they allow you to pick whatever dates you want, so you can add on days before or after the cruise

RCL Group’s airfare hook up is called Choice Air / Air2Sea ... often there’s a promo on the cost of the flights for Cruises overseas

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWi ... l_programs

Call RCL direct for further info

(I usually call once I have done some research on my own, and have an idea of my full vacation itinerary, and which dates & Airlines / flights I want to fly on)

Also... while you are deciding things... if you need a breather to think it all thru / sleep on it ... be aware that RCL can put your whole cruise etc ON HOLD for 24 Hours. Helpful to get your head around stuff.

PS... great itinerary. We have a similar cruise with RCL’s sister Celebrity in mind... although it’s a one way voyage thru the Adriatic ... Venice to Rome with stops in the same Eastern European Ports & the Greek Isles
great info, thanks! have you found that there is a big (or even not so big) price discrepancy between booking your own airfare vs booking through RCL directly? I always assumed it would be much more expensive booking airfare through the cruise lines.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7374 posts
4822 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
drunag wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:34 am
great info, thanks! have you found that there is a big (or even not so big) price discrepancy between booking your own airfare vs booking through RCL directly? I always assumed it would be much more expensive booking airfare through the cruise lines.
Nope, it works out to about the same price (ok maybe a few bucks either side)

BUT... when you book thru the Cruise Lines and add in their Cruise / Trip Travel Insurance (which is cheap) it is a true bargain... plus the GUARANTEE that they’ll get you to the ship on their dime, no matter what happens to your flight

We normally pick out our flights that we want to be on, and then call RCL / Celebrity / Azamara = Choice Air for a quote / booking

Only other way we fly to a cruise, is on our own with Points / Miles. In that case we fly in a few days early as a cushion, and also buy Points / Miles Insurance in addition to Trip / Travel Insurance so as not to lose our points / miles if things don’t go as planned

Additionally, for Cdns there are some All Inclusive Cruise Pkgs that are truly a great deal with this cruise group... that fly out of various smaller Cdn Cities during the winter season (they charter the planes from First Air Canada, and banner them Celebrity Cruises Airlines, and fly out of the likes of Hamilton - Ottawa - Quebec City - Moncton etc)

Ads usually run in local newspapers etc.. or one can call Celebrity for more info