None
[OP]
Dec 19, 2004
570 posts
1 upvote
Windsor, ON

Cruising in Hurricane Season

Hey all,

I want to take a cruise in early to mid September this year. It leaves from NYC and goes down to Florida and then the Bahamas. I heard that this time of the year is hurricane season for the Carribean and I should avoid cruising during this time of the year.

Is this true? Should I be worried about this and the rough seas that a Hurricane might create? Or is the chance of any disturbance so slim that I shouldn't bother rescheduling?

Any personal experiences would be much appreciated!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
The seas might be a little rough, but cruiselines will have this information in advance and will divert the ship away from the storm. They'll even change an entire itinerary (Western to Eastern, or vice versa) if necessary. If the embarkation port is hit as well (unlikely since it's NYC), you may find your cruise length cut short or extended.
Aug 4, 2004
762 posts
Everything Highflyer said and remember to be flexible.

Sometimes you may miss a port or two.
Other times, the port you visit will be deserted as people are busy preparing for the weather.

Remember, you are getting very low price because of the unexpected weather. If you have a open attitude, you can still have a good time.

Just thought I'll add to this because on one of my previous crusie, I was really surprised by the number of people complaining about the weather even though they were travelling in the middle of hurrican season.

If you are the type who will be upset if the itinerary changes, you may want to reconsider travelling at that time.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1992 posts
172 upvotes
I've sailed through 2 hurricanes. One was in October around Thanksgiving and the other was the end of November when hurricane season is supposed to end. We ended up missing quite a few ports and on the Sun Princess (Oct '96) they docked in Nassau instead of going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel and they filled up time by sailing up the coast of FL. I believe they gave us the port charges back.

The water gets pretty rough. All over the ship in the stairwells they put out sickness bags. We saw this one small ship docked beside us in Martinique bobbing like an apple in water. Martinique is where I had the most memorable hurricane experience. The town was beginning to flood and the rain was coming down so hard. We had to run across this long pier and the rain we pelting my body/face so hard it hurt. I seriously thought I was going to be blown into the ocean.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
All they did was refund you the port charges? Hmm. Although not their fault, I think they could've given you more of a refund or an additional credit on future cruises.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1992 posts
172 upvotes
Nope no future shipboard credits or anything. No refunds on any money except port charges.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
the last time I sailed while a hurricane was in progress, the entire Eastern itinerary became Western, and the cruise was extended by 2 days free of charge as Port Everglades was wiped out by the storm. Internet access and phone calls (limited lines) were free for the duration of the cruise.