Fitness and Nutrition

Crunch Gym $9.95/month & $99 Enrollment (Toronto)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 11:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1481 posts
1550 upvotes

Crunch Gym $9.95/month & $99 Enrollment (Toronto)

Got this flyer in my mailbox yesterday. Anyone have experience with Crunch Gym and the College Park location?

Or does anyone know of any other decent low-cost alternatives to GoodLife in downtown Toronto?
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1328 posts
228 upvotes
Funny, I got $9.95/month and $0 enrollment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1481 posts
1550 upvotes
HaZaRd wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 8:32 pm
Was that at the College Park location? Can anyone get $0 enrollment, or was it a limited offer? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1328 posts
228 upvotes
lynk wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:03 pm
Was that at the College Park location? Can anyone get $0 enrollment, or was it a limited offer? Thanks.
I'm in Mississauga but it doesn't have a specific location for it. Has the addresses for all locations and says "Sign up on crunch.com or just stop by," so worth a shot just asking them if they'll do it without the flyer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7606 posts
2952 upvotes
East York
^ if anyone gets in at $0 enrollment to College Park location, pls also let me know

Group X Classes are extra, but might be worth it also
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
1816 posts
590 upvotes
Mississauga
The crunch gym in Mississauga is right in front of Fit4less which is pretty funny.
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Dec 10, 2012
93 posts
16 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Sorry to hijack the post but do anyone have experienve with fit4less? How are they? Are their facilities reasonably new? Do they upsell you a lot and sell you products when you are working out? I hate those kind of places. Their pricing seems good., Especially if you can share with people with thwir black card according to their website (not sure how it works)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1467 posts
508 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
hkhorace wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 11:52 pm
Sorry to hijack the post but do anyone have experienve with fit4less? How are they? Are their facilities reasonably new? Do they upsell you a lot and sell you products when you are working out? I hate those kind of places. Their pricing seems good., Especially if you can share with people with thwir black card according to their website (not sure how it works)
You can sign up for Fit4less online and pay the first payment via CC and then every two weeks they withdraw 11.29 from your bank acct. After signing up just visit the club and pick up the key fob, there is 24/7 access and nobody has ever tried to sell me anything. Facilities are typically brand new, we also have one which was converted from a goodlife when the new goodlife opened. You can lend the black card to anyone and they are supposed to fill out a form at the club however this is not enforced at all from what I’ve seen, they typically just smile and say hello when you enter.

In Hamilton the world gyms have converted over to crunch fitness. Apparently the rebrand happened overnight.
Sep 23, 2008
624 posts
160 upvotes
HaZaRd wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:32 pm
I'm in Mississauga but it doesn't have a specific location for it. Has the addresses for all locations and says "Sign up on crunch.com or just stop by," so worth a shot just asking them if they'll do it without the flyer.
HaZaRd wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 8:32 pm
Question for those familiar with the gym industry or even Crunch specifically: Any one have any issues signing up at one gym and primarily using it at another?
Selling:
My Soul -- PM Me
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1435 posts
365 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Good for this gym, seems like goodlife and LA fitness are the Rogers and bell of the fitness industry in Canada.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1481 posts
1550 upvotes
I went to take a look at the Crunch College Park location, and it's actually the former location of the Madonna-branded Hard Candy Fitness in the Aura Condo tower. They changed names to Aura Fitness in 2016, and changed again to Crunch Gym this month.

There are some 360 VR pictures on google maps: http://tinyurl.com/ybdmh9ng

All the equipment looked pretty new, and the facilities looked clean and well-maintained. I kept thinking "What's the catch? How can a 40,000 sq-ft high-end gym like this in the heart of downtown TO be only $10/month?"

I checked the fine print for all the additional charges, and it still seems like an amazing deal:

Initial Payment:
$99.00 Enrollment Fee
$19.99 Card Fee

Annual Fees:
$19.99 Maintenance Fee billed every Feb.15 and Aug.15

Monthly Fees:
$9.95 Monthly Fee

The Base membership only includes the Strength Area and Cardio Area, but that's all that I really need. There are also Peak ($19.95/mth) and Peak Plus ($69.95/mth) memberships that add Tanning, Hydro Massage and Group X Classes, etc.

My only concern is the same concern that I have with all gyms. Do they keep taking money from you every month after you cancel your membership? I did some googling and found that Crunch has a lot of complaints about this, but so does almost every other gym (even GoodLife).

At least Crunch allows payment by CC (unlike GoodLife which only allows payment from your bank account), so you can get your money back by disputing the charges. But they can still put new charges on your CC and/or send your bills to collections agencies and affect your credit history.

Is there any way to avoid these problems with gym memberships? Has anyone ever tried paying for their gym membership using a prepaid credit card?
Dec 12, 2016
20 posts
13 upvotes
Moogadishoo
Any way to avoid the $99 Enrollment Fee?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1481 posts
1550 upvotes
hahahu wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 9:39 pm
Any way to avoid the $99 Enrollment Fee?
The Erin Mills location has $0 Enrollment, but College Park is $99. After the promotion, the Enrollment Fee at College Park goes back up to $199.