Careers

CS Co-op Student Resume Critique

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 9:39 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2019
3 posts

CS Co-op Student Resume Critique

I applied for the Google Software Developer Intern Summer 2019 position using this resume (attached image).
I got a reply and was given two coding questions to do, which I was able to complete using Python.
However, after 4 business days, Google replied saying that they've decided not to proceed with my application.
I'm wondering if it was my resume that caused me to lose my candidacy.
Anyone with some expertise on this matter please help me out, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks.
Last edited by beastfang on Jan 11th, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1025 posts
422 upvotes
I actually first came to check that you took personal info off your resume which you did. Good job - so many people leave their personal info on there and post and its just *face palm*

Personally, I'm not in CS but I review tons of award applications, and your formatting makes me not want to read it. So much text esp with the first experience. I get that it's where most of your skills came from but that many bullets just makes me not want to look at it all together.

Also, my assumption from reading your situation is that your resume was good enough to hit key words or whatever to get you to do the questions. Maybe you didnt get the questions right? However, I'm not familiar with Google's hiring processes so someone feel free to correct me on this.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
1484 posts
129 upvotes
Too much going on and its very hard to scan. Follow this format and post back.
https://www.careercup.com/resume (You don't need to have the horizontal lines etc but the general flow of the headers, placement of the dates should be followed).

Your on the right track by trying to quantify your work, however get rid of the repetition. For example, you have two bullets dedicated to creating unit tests when you can say it all in one.
Pick the top 3-4 accomplishments of impact for each job and those should be your bullets. Don't need your week by week work history haha.

Put the education at the bottom, its randomly in the middle and when the skills section comes after, your making the reader context switch awkwardly.
Also cut that skills list down by 80%, ain't no body got time for that. Simple bullets will serve you well.

Post back with these changes and Im sure you will get much more positive feedback.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2019
3 posts
Thanks! Those are some helpful tips. I will post back with the updated resume :)
Nov 15, 2016
254 posts
130 upvotes
beastfang wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:02 am
I have updated my resume according to your suggestions. But I needed to keep it one page, so I couldn't remove a lot of stuff.
Please provide your feedback and do you recommend that I take out some bullets to make room for
extracurricular activities to show soft skills?
Thanks a lot for your help!
This looks a lot better, one suggestion I have is moving your skills section above your experience section. I'd also trim down the Skills section a bit, cater the skills section more towards the position you apply for.
It appears like your adding all and every skill which may not always be related to the role you apply for (this is just my assumption).
Other than that, a drastic improvement over your first draft!