Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

CT-75W Inverter $9.99 Online (Free Shipping) - Instore Friday

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2004 7:37 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1318 posts
138 upvotes
Calgary
Sweet thanks. Gotta be useful for something for 10 bucks...
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2004
1302 posts
29 upvotes
Markham
Johnny767 wrote:1st one was a 200 watt....it destroyed the power cord to my brand new Toshiba ($100 fix claimed on warranty....nose growing)
Uh oh... I don't like the sound of that... :confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1951 posts
711 upvotes
I would only plan on using this for recharging purposes (cell phone, laptop, AA batteries for camera etc).

My understanding is that car lighters have an output of about 150W so I'm not sure how safe the model that Midget man posted would for the car lighter.

Does anyone actually have and use one these 75W from crappy tire?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
I have the exact one from CY. It seems fine to me though, it hasnt burned anything of mine. I use it to charge my cell phone, use my laptop and charge it at the same time. Seems okay to me
Oct 3, 2003
137 posts
Just picked one up tonight.

It works, but just barely for my setup. I have an ASUS M6Ne with a Penitum M 1.5Ghz. The power adapter for it is 19V at 3.42A making it an almost exact 65W max. Withy my notebook charging its battery and running 3D graphics apps, the 75W CTC inverter starts cycling on and off from overheating. With the battery not charging or not doing anything too intense with the notebook, it runs fine.

My opinion and recommendation:

Buy it as a cheap way to keep running for anything that is below its rating. But at $10 plus taxes, it really is a no brainer buy to have along with your notebook for those "just in case" times.
Apr 13, 2003
57 posts
Great deal thanks!!! Dont have a use for it yet but i'll keep it next to my hardly used RC Bug LOL :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
2953 posts
10 upvotes
bobor wrote:I would only plan on using this for recharging purposes (cell phone, laptop, AA batteries for camera etc).

My understanding is that car lighters have an output of about 150W so I'm not sure how safe the model that Midget man posted would for the car lighter.

Does anyone actually have and use one these 75W from crappy tire?
Actually, I think that's what the manufacturers discreetly warn against. They say that you should not plug in transformers for "small electrical devices". That's usually because they use real transformers with real isolation. But I guess all the new power adapters use the cheaper solid state, non-isolated outputs, so that would be okay. The reason is that these cheap inverters outputs a square wave, rather than a sine wave, so it stresses transformers. (Just like using 50Hz with a 60Hz-rated transformer).

Laptops are fine because they use solid-state circuitries so it can deliver the amperage. Otherwise, your laptop adapter would way a ton. :lol: Same with your computer power supply.
Apr 6, 2003
464 posts
116 upvotes
Ottawa
Ordered online. Another thing to add to my collection of things I don't use. I think I need help :)
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
Picked one up today at the CT in Gatineau. Plenty still available.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Jul 8, 2002
166 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up two as well, throw one in the car give one away, thanks for the deal.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
8234 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Pavel wrote:You guys shell out a lot of bucks for a laptop and skimp out on an inverter? Don't do that. I read up in a forum on Netlink that one should never buy an inverter at Canadian tire for their laptop. It can damage the unit and it's of poor quality. A good inverter is a "sinewave" type. Any battery store should carry it as should an RV store. That's where I will be getting mine. Besides, I drive a stick and I shift at high RPMS. That load may play havoc on my laptop if I use a cheap invertor.

http://www.power-store.com/faq/pi/PIFAQ04.htm

Agreed!

I am using a Rayovac 2 outlet made of aluminium model which was approx $55 but that's a fraction of what my laptop costs. I tried my friend's (he bought the CT one here for $19.99 awhile ago) and the screen was unstable as we drove around. So, why take a chance with your laptop's charging system or your car for that matter. The small one from CT is rated too low - 75 watts? for my laptop. Just my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1627 posts
54 upvotes
hey.. i haven't open the package yet, there is a label on the adaptor says it can provide 75W continuously for 5 Mins.. only?! How can I use it for my Laptop??

please reply.
Jun 5, 2003
474 posts
BC, Canada
dealcatcher wrote:please reply.
Please read the thread.
Mike / technut
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1627 posts
54 upvotes
AldebaranTech wrote:Just picked one up tonight.

It works, but just barely for my setup. I have an ASUS M6Ne with a Penitum M 1.5Ghz. The power adapter for it is 19V at 3.42A making it an almost exact 65W max. Withy my notebook charging its battery and running 3D graphics apps, the 75W CTC inverter starts cycling on and off from overheating. With the battery not charging or not doing anything too intense with the notebook, it runs fine.

My opinion and recommendation:

Buy it as a cheap way to keep running for anything that is below its rating. But at $10 plus taxes, it really is a no brainer buy to have along with your notebook for those "just in case" times.
will it drain your car battery?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3426 posts
80 upvotes
Just ordered one because it was a really good deal. Not sure how much use I will make of it but I guess it should be safe to use with my cellphone. Not sure if I would trust it to power/charge my Toshiba 5200 laptop but I guess we will see. Thanks for posting the deal :)
Heat 51-0-0

External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings.
Banned
Aug 3, 2003
970 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks, picked one up

Will use it to charge cell phone instead of spending 50 on a car charger

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1304 posts
146 upvotes
Kingston ON
Kazaam wrote:Thanks, picked one up

Will use it to charge cell phone instead of spending 50 on a car charger

Thanks
Good idea.
I'm going to use mine for camping - alarm clock. 5"TV, boom box etc - Great deal for < $10.
Thanks again to the poster :)
Carlos

Free be Freebie
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
2953 posts
10 upvotes
Pavel wrote:You guys shell out a lot of bucks for a laptop and skimp out on an inverter? Don't do that. I read up in a forum on Netlink that one should never buy an inverter at Canadian tire for their laptop. It can damage the unit and it's of poor quality. A good inverter is a "sinewave" type. Any battery store should carry it as should an RV store. That's where I will be getting mine. Besides, I drive a stick and I shift at high RPMS. That load may play havoc on my laptop if I use a cheap invertor.

http://www.power-store.com/faq/pi/PIFAQ04.htm
As seen from your link, laptops can operate fine with square waves. That's because the power adapter is not of a transformer-type.

You will not find a sinewave inverter for less than $200. Okay, maybe with a PM. :cheesygri

Kazaam, check whether the adapter is a transformer or not. One using a transformer is more blocky, while newer ones without are slim (like the SE or Nokia ones). You can risk shortening the life or heating up the transformer with a square wave. Like feeding DC into it.
Oct 3, 2003
137 posts
dealcatcher wrote:will it drain your car battery?
Yes of course it will. You cannot get something for nothing. It will run your battery down very slowly if left plugged into the lighter if your car doesn't have lighter power cut off by the ignition switch. And when running its full load, it will run down your battery at about the same rate as leaving your parking lights on.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1737 posts
565 upvotes
Does anyone elses unit take a few seconds after being inserted in the lighter socket before the green light comes on?

Or is my unit defective?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)