Tags:
None
Aug 26, 2005
306 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto

CT bicycles, which one to buy?

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some expertise on which bike I should get, right now I'm looking at the following bikes:

Kranked Factor 26-in Full Suspension Bike, Adult

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... RRWidgetID

Raleigh Tora 26-in Full Suspension Bike, Adult

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... BAdult.jsp

I will be riding my bike mostly on the weekends on trails in the Mississauga area.

Please keep in mind that I know I can go and spend $1000+ on a bike, but my budget is $200. Any feedback regarding the above bikes is appreciated.
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1684 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
The Kranked bike has a front disc brake that may cause you more headaches from setup and maintenance. At this price point, you are better off with V-brakes, which the Raleigh has front and rear.

That being said, for $200 I would strongly consider a hardtail (no rear suspension). Rear shocks at this price point have very little functionality and add alot of extra weight to the bike for very little benefit.

If youre not specifically looking for a mountain bike, this seems like a better option to me:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... 52527s.jsp

Its not on sale, but it will be faster and lighter.
Oct 31, 2009
560 posts
14 upvotes
bby
What kind of trails are you talking about? well groomed gravel trail in parks? or mountain trails with boulder and roots? forget about full suspension unless you doing 4 ft drops . a hybrid would be for park trails

Ive been looking at the tessa for $199. It is only a 16 inch frame so your pant length should be around 32 to fit it.

Hard tail: The schwinn tessa is half price at canadian tire.

Went into ct today for heck of it. The tessa is a better bike than I thought. It does have quick release axles and the wheels are high end ie smft arriv. Not sure how high end but they are not the cheapest kind. both the hub and fork is ready to have disk brakes installed. the messa for $449 would not accept disk brake install. The tessa weighs 30 lbs. got a bathroom scale and weighed it. the front suspension is suntour and i have no idea how good that is. the tessa is 16 inches frame. if i knew more about the suspension I might consider buying the bike as backup for racing day. if you wanted to buy a cheap wheel by itself for backup it would cost 100 bucks so you could buy this bike and cannaibalize it for parts.
Dec 1, 2005
672 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
wushudrew wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 11:05 pm
That being said, for $200 I would strongly consider a hardtail (no rear suspension). Rear shocks at this price point have very little functionality and add alot of extra weight to the bike for very little benefit.
+1

Crappy full suspension systems are put on low end bikes for marketing purposes only.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3174 posts
120 upvotes
Adelaide
j27lee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 11:28 pm
+1

Crappy full suspension systems are put on low end bikes for marketing purposes only.
Yah I would have to agree, I got a bike for dirt cheap (around 100 i think) with full suspension and it was worse then useless. The bike was ridiculously heavy because of it and the rear suspension really didnt add anything to it. Also cheap full suspension bikes are much slower and require more energy to ride (at least the cheapo ones, expensive ones maybe not so much)
× < >