Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

CT - Champion 4000W (3000 W rated gas generator. $299. (Reg $549)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2015 11:08 pm
19 replies
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
This would be a good size for me, but I really want a 240V plug. Somehow they are available on similar sized generators in the US, but not in Canada. Yes, I understand there are limitations to putting a 240V outlet on such a small generator. I just need something to run my DC tig welder.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11975 posts
3167 upvotes
Edmonton
blazed16 wrote: U use this if your home power goes out?
Yes, enough to run furnace motor, a few lights and your fridge/freezer.

If you are really up to it you can make a suicide cord and shut off all but the essential breakers.

In theory you should be using a separate subpanel and a generator transfer switch, but that costs into the thousands of dollars, where a custom cord runs $20-$50 with plugs.

Just be sure your main breaker is off, you don't want to injure/kill any utility repair crews by backfeeding.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
2039 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
I not sure I want to run a furnace, fridge, etc with all the sensitive electronics in them. I would use a inverter generator.
blainehamilton wrote: Yes, enough to run furnace motor, a few lights and your fridge/freezer.

If you are really up to it you can make a suicide cord and shut off all but the essential breakers.

In theory you should be using a separate subpanel and a generator transfer switch, but that costs into the thousands of dollars, where a custom cord runs $20-$50 with plugs.

Just be sure your main breaker is off, you don't want to injure/kill any utility repair crews by backfeeding.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11975 posts
3167 upvotes
Edmonton
lurker99 wrote: I not sure I want to run a furnace, fridge, etc with all the sensitive electronics in them. I would use a inverter generator.
Then $300 Genny becomes a $1500 one.

Seriously, if you are that concerned, buy a proper generator and install a balanced subpanel and transfer switch.

$5000 isn't what most people need to spend for a once in a 20 year blackout.

Hell, you could just run a couple of 1500 watt space heater to keep your pipes from bursting. Very small cost to prevent $$$ damage.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1888 posts
1437 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote: Yes, enough to run furnace motor, a few lights and your fridge/freezer.

Good idea, I'd always figured I'd be running extension cords everywhere. Wouldn't you have to be extremely careful not to overload the line you are using to feed it though? No protection from overheating and fire when you do it that way. It probably isn't a big issue with a generator this size, but I could see that being a problem with a larger unit.
Aug 28, 2012
118 posts
29 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
lurker99 wrote: I not sure I want to run a furnace, fridge, etc with all the sensitive electronics in them. I would use a inverter generator.
a few of these might work

http://www.ncix.com/detail/opti-ups-hom ... -45502.htm

I'd look at a propane and natural gas conversion kit for $209 https://www.propanecarbs.com/championgenerators.html and a 100lb tank.

The propane will last as long as the tank, seals and valve is OK. Maybe 30 years or more if kept cool and dry. Gasoline on the other hand will degrade after 30 days or if you add stabilizer 2-3 years.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11975 posts
3167 upvotes
Edmonton
zero64 wrote: Good idea, I'd always figured I'd be running extension cords everywhere. Wouldn't you have to be extremely careful not to overload the line you are using to feed it though? No protection from overheating and fire when you do it that way. It probably isn't a big issue with a generator this size, but I could see that being a problem with a larger unit.

Use the twistlock plug with an appropriate cord on a 20a circuit. 2400watts is the maximum continuous load, 80% of that to be on the safe side. 1800watts on a regular 15a circuit, down 80%.

Like I said, shut off all breakers including the main, hook it up, start the generator, then you should have enough to run the furnace, a few led lights, your fridge or freezer and even a small TV or radio for news.

Just be sure to run it outside away from fresh air inlets so you don't gas your family.

If you are really concerned about loading, run just the furnace or fridge/freezer for an interval of 1-2 hours, not at the same time.

It isnt rocket science, and you don't need to spend thousands to keep your pipes from bursting in the event of an extended outage. A $300 generator and a $20-$50 custom cord and some common sense and precautions is all you need to save thousands in water damage and spoiled food.

Plus you won't freeze your ass off like other folks.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6664 upvotes

We have electric furnace for our home,wonder if it would power that as we lose power out here a couple times a month for a few hours at a time.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11975 posts
3167 upvotes
Edmonton
Electric powered gas?

Exactly how I detailed. Few hours shouldn't be an issue unless it's sub -30c with windchill. Then you have to worry about freezing damage.

Bad storm can last 48-72 hours in some places. Power is usually back up within a few hours but that can vary based on location and damage incurred.

If you have never seen the power out in years you should be OK without.

I've only seen a handful of outages here in Alberta at below -30 in all my years and never more than 12 hours. Any longer and pipes start to burst, especially in rural locations...
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3866 posts
5373 upvotes
Oakville
I'm a mechanical engineer, I work in a factory on machines so have enough knowledge about equipment. I stay away from electrical things though as a precaution.
Is this something I should hire an electrician for or is there any documentation out there one can follow to install this.

I'm not exactly sure I'm picturing the setup right, do I need to run a redundant circuit so everything switches over automatically once I fire the generator or do I have to manually plug everything in to the generator circuit?
blainehamilton wrote: Use the twistlock plug with an appropriate cord on a 20a circuit. 2400watts is the maximum continuous load, 80% of that to be on the safe side. 1800watts on a regular 15a circuit, down 80%.<br />
<br />
Like I said, shut off all breakers including the main, hook it up, start the generator, then you should have enough to run the furnace, a few led lights, your fridge or freezer and even a small TV or radio for news.<br />
<br />
Just be sure to run it outside away from fresh air inlets so you don't gas your family.<br />
<br />
<br />
If you are really concerned about loading, run just the furnace or fridge/freezer for an interval of 1-2 hours, not at the same time.<br />
<br />
<br />
It isnt rocket science, and you don't need to spend thousands to keep your pipes from bursting in the event of an extended outage. A $300 generator and a $20-$50 custom cord and some common sense and precautions is all you need to save thousands in water damage and spoiled food.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1888 posts
1437 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote: Use the twistlock plug with an appropriate cord on a 20a circuit. 2400watts is the maximum continuous load, 80% of that to be on the safe side. 1800watts on a regular 15a circuit, down 80%.

Like I said, shut off all breakers including the main, hook it up, start the generator, then you should have enough to run the furnace, a few led lights, your fridge or freezer and even a small TV or radio for news.

Just be sure to run it outside away from fresh air inlets so you don't gas your family.

If you are really concerned about loading, run just the furnace or fridge/freezer for an interval of 1-2 hours, not at the same time.

It isnt rocket science, and you don't need to spend thousands to keep your pipes from bursting in the event of an extended outage. A $300 generator and a $20-$50 custom cord and some common sense and precautions is all you need to save thousands in water damage and spoiled food.

Yea, that makes sense. Should be fine as long as only the essentials are running. I guess if I wanted more current I could run it through two circuits as well.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
blainehamilton wrote:

Terrible advice. You can still back feed unless you disconnect your panel completely from the main and typical installations in homes don't have that ability.
Dec 7, 2005
263 posts
54 upvotes
Pickering
dilligafeh wrote: Terrible advice. You can still back feed unless you disconnect your panel completely from the main and typical installations in homes don't have that ability.
Never done this but curious how this would happen if the main breaker is off ? If it's defective ? Or is there another way I'm not thinking of ?
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
vinaymal wrote: Never done this but curious how this would happen if the main breaker is off ? If it's defective ? Or is there another way I'm not thinking of ?
First of all it is illegal to do that because you could kill someone working on the lines.
Second, breakers fail and for all you know the breaker is off but it is still feeding the line.
Third even with the breaker off the neutral isn't disconnected so there's a chance that the neutral will energize by either reversed polarity on the plug or the generator malfunctioning.
Dec 7, 2005
263 posts
54 upvotes
Pickering
dilligafeh wrote: First of all it is illegal to do that because you could kill someone working on the lines.
Second, breakers fail and for all you know the breaker is off but it is still feeding the line.
Third even with the breaker off the neutral isn't disconnected so there's a chance that the neutral will energize by either reversed polarity on the plug or the generator malfunctioning.
The neutral one is the one that I didn't think of after I read your post. Thank for the nice explanation.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11975 posts
3167 upvotes
Edmonton
dilligafeh wrote: First of all it is illegal to do that because you could kill someone working on the lines.
The breaker on the generator panel outputs would trip in that event, would it not?
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10417 posts
7483 upvotes
ON
blainehamilton wrote: The breaker on the generator panel outputs would trip in that event, would it not?
Are you willing to bet a life on a breaker, I know I wouldn't .

Some generators use GFCI breakers to feed the AC outlets. When connected to a panel that does not switch neutral the GFCI breaker will trip immediately. The affected generators have the neutral conductor bonded to ground to pass OSHA job requirements. Home or building electrical panels also have the neutral bonded to ground. This dual bond supplies two paths for return current to flow. The GFCI breaker will detect a difference in neutral vs line current flow and open the circuit.
That would require you to change the internal wiring on the generator to a floating neutral in order to use it to back feed your house. Now you are required to ground your generator separately. To do all that rather than just do it the proper foolproof way ...
Dec 26, 2014
121 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, On.
dilligafeh wrote: Terrible advice. You can still back feed unless you disconnect your panel completely from the main and typical installations in homes don't have that ability.
There is a reason why they are called suicide cables, and that no licensed electrician would do this. Just not worth the risk and as you said, it is indeed illegal.

If someone is on an area prone to sustained blackouts, get it done right!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)