Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

CT: cobra FRS radio

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2004 3:07 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 15, 2004
116 posts
1 upvote
Markham

[Canadian Tire] CT: cobra FRS radio

:D Canadian tire flyer has the Cobra 2-pack GMRS radio on sale for $59.99 and staples has them for $89.99, only $51.73 tax include after PM with staples
47 replies
Aug 29, 2002
558 posts
19 upvotes
bigboy999 wrote: :D Canadian tire flyer has the Cobra 2-pack GMRS radio on sale for $59.99 and staples has them for $89.99, only $51.73 tax include after PM with staples
GMRS are the big brother to the old FRS radio.

Better range, more wattage. I believe that only a few of the channels on GMRS are shared with the older FRS radios.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
1142 posts
4 upvotes
thanks im go nna pick this up tomorrow!
I hope Life isn't one big joke because I don't get it.
Dec 11, 2003
207 posts
1 upvote
i remember a couple weeks ago one staple store had the motorola one on sale for 69.99 ( usually 99.99).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Are these Cobra ones any good? Or should i wait for the motorola ones to go down?

What do i look for typically in these handsets? Range?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
where are they on the CT website?
Feb 4, 2004
227 posts
26 upvotes
Pickering
bigboy999 wrote: :D Canadian tire flyer has the Cobra 2-pack GMRS radio on sale for $59.99 and staples has them for $89.99, only $51.73 tax include after PM with staples
NICE! I went to CT today but they were out of stock... now I can PM cheaper instead!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
1142 posts
4 upvotes
Just picked one up today....works great! Very clear! Way better than my old motorola frs.
Jun 7, 2002
135 posts
Montreal
For once a sweet and pain free PM at my B&M Staples! :razz:
Can't believe how cheap this stuff get nowadays, and more powerful to boot (in the US, I saw a lot advertised for less than 40 bucks!)
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2003
1068 posts
215 upvotes
Calgary
PM'd this today and it was apiece of cake. Found the item, went to the cash, and then pulled out the flyer. Talked to the computer guy, he said he believed me about the price, no phone verification or anything (although I did pick up one of these from a CT earlier to have a receipt in case they wanted to check, and it was the last one in the store). The manager didn't blink when he came to authorize. I know which Staples I'm going to for future pm's!
Feb 17, 2004
966 posts
19 upvotes
Hmm...did I miss the sale already? on the CT website it says 69.99
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Jan 28, 2002
659 posts
115 upvotes
For those who bought this already...
The units includes a rechargable ni-cad battery pack right? it's not a custom battery pack right? i.e., can you use reg. batteries in these units?
Cheers,
harry.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
1142 posts
4 upvotes
yep u can use normal batteries too. takes 4xAA. The range on these things are waaaaaaaay below 10 kms. More like 1-2.
Oct 20, 2002
256 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Have these at work. They are decent but I have a hard time hearing the other side speak.
Mar 21, 2002
828 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
hi,
I have a copy of the free magazine Hub (july/04 issue). Review of thre Cobra PR245 is: Pros: well featured,well priced ($80), rechargeable batteries.
Con: Casing feels flimsy( maybe not suitable for hiking & camping) and exxaggerated range (10Km). What worries me more would be not being able to hear clearly the message from your partner. Is it because of background noise that one RFD member has problems hearing the message?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
1460 posts
41 upvotes
GTA
Everything being equal (atmospheric condition, antenna). The rule of thumb is 4x power is necessary to double the range. You are not going to get that 10km range with 1W.
(note: 500mW FRS are usually rated at 3km)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
2953 posts
10 upvotes
hytong wrote:Everything being equal (atmospheric condition, antenna). The rule of thumb is 4x power is necessary to double the range. You are not going to get that 10km range with 1W.
(note: 500mW FRS are usually rated at 3km)
Is that RMS or P-P?
1W RMS is enough to fry your brain open...

I'd just stick with a cellphone, eventhough there is still radiation. I also don't like the click-to-talk thing.

BTW, these radios never work on Boxing Day. Tried it last year and it was horrible. :lol: