Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Mastercraft Maximum Impact socket 11pc $13.49

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2015 11:24 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6948 posts
7521 upvotes
BC
stovetop wrote: hmm..also those are only 3/8, not 1/2..

even if I don't have an impact driver, it might be better just to go with the deep impact sockets that are on sale now since there's also lifetime warranty
I've always found the black colour look on the sockets sexy!

I could always buy both sets (deep socket and regular) but that seems like a waste of money.
3/8" is more commonly used than 1/2". If your main reason for purchase is changing your oil, 3/8" drive sockets will do perfectly fine. Impact sockets are thicker and heavier which may not be a big deal, but they are really only meant to be used with an impact gun. If you really want to pinch your pennies, buy a single box-end wrench in the size that you need for your oil plug.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
i bought a set of D-Walt deepsocket two days ago... for 50$, i'd like to return since I didnt use them but I dont have the plastic wrap anymore that was in it... will CT take them back ?
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
flyer12 wrote: That would only apply in situations where the nut is extremely tall or the bolt/stud is protruding to not allow the shallow socket to fully encase the nut. For removing wheels (to do winter/summer tire swaps) you only need the shallow sockets unless your rims require the deep.
But I dont wanna scratch my mags...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1433 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
These are exactly what I as looking for to supplement my set of deep sockets.

I usually almost always go for my deep impact sockets for my cordless impact wrench but there are times when they don't fit in tight places. Eg inside wheel wells.
Mar 18, 2007
389 posts
164 upvotes
Edmonton, ab
Thanks OP, Picked up a set of the deep metric (have the regular ones in SAE from Canadian tire and they've been great). Figured for $6 extra, the deep was worth it for that one time every 3 years i need extra clearance :)
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
er34er34 wrote: Sure, seems like you(and a few others) have shown that common sense. Some others here clearly don't and immediately dismissed my claim.

In fact, it's rather common that these shallow sockets won't fit "completely"/100% over a regular socket - the socket is maybe 1.25-1.5" in depth, and the 1/2" drive already takes up half of that depth, so what you're left with is a socket that can only fit ~0.5" of the fastener. Hence the load applied is spread on a decreased area, and increases the risk of stripping. How is my comment not valid?

My comment was not specifically directed to you. Look at comments like these.
I would like to put my 2 cents added to this I'a agree to the usefulness of deep sockets! but for my personal tool collection I have both sets! cuz when on sale i'll grab both types! have the best of both worlds there were times when I need the short and there are times when I need the deep sockets of certain situations!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
This deep set is HEAVY! I see they only go up to 21mm. Wish it had a couple of bigger sizes. I don't think I'd ever use the really small ones.
Dec 4, 2005
227 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
Careful guys. I was working on a car next to my buddy who was working on another vehicle and he bought a cheap set of impact sockets from princes auto and the nut was seized. Needless to say, the socket literally exploded on him. .thank goodness he was not injured but just a word of advice, be careful of the lesser known brands. Canadian tire should be OK but that was one moment I was glad I had a snap on set of impact sockets ..pricey but I keep my appendages. Just a word of warning I suppose. Regular sockets are fine but with an air gun and the torque I would suggest against it
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1433 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
akito925 wrote: I would like to put my 2 cents added to this I'a agree to the usefulness of deep sockets! but for my personal tool collection I have both sets! cuz when on sale i'll grab both types! have the best of both worlds there were times when I need the short and there are times when I need the deep sockets of certain situations!
i agree. i like to have both deep and short impact sockets because there are times when one or the other won't fit. i also like to have a regular set of short and deep sockets on hand because impact sockets are sometimes too wide to fit in narrow places.
Oct 28, 2008
181 posts
77 upvotes
Inno wrote: This deep set is HEAVY! I see they only go up to 21mm. Wish it had a couple of bigger sizes. I don't think I'd ever use the really small ones.
I bought the $8.88 metric set from Princess Auto last week and it runs to 24mm. For less than $10 it's a no brainer. I also have the 6 point metric deep socket set from PA and it runs to 24mm as well for $16.88 a month ago. It's their crappy Power Fist branding, but I'm not using air tools.

These will do fine with just a 18" to 24" breaker bar. If your tires are torqued properly, you would have no problem wrenching the nut loose with a breaker bar (without a cheater bar).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)