Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5132 posts
453 upvotes
Calgary

[Canadian Tire] CT: MotoMaster 3-ton Aluminum Axle Stands $59.99

MotoMaster 3-ton Aluminum Axle Stands for $59.99
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

Yes, yes, this is regular price and it is special buy. First look seems to be nothing special and a little expensive. But take a look at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T43004-Alum ... roduct_top

It is virtually the same jack stands as Torin 3 Ton Aluminum Jack Stands. And if you open up the box of the MotoMaster ones and the stands will have a sticker on it with "43004". So it is indeed the same jack stands as the Torin one. Pretty good jack stands for light duty jobs and/or small vehicles.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
1582 posts
242 upvotes
Aluminum axle stands, why? The only reason for using aluminum instead of steel (that I know of) is weight reduction, but there is always the strength trade-off. I'm already leery about getting under a vehicle supported by standard steel made-in-china stands.

That being said, the two links do look identical, the reviews are more reassuring and the price is good by comparison. Still though, basic steel stands aren't that heavy, are cheaper, and should be less prone to failing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5132 posts
453 upvotes
Calgary
Aluminum stands are more portable (track day?) and these ones are of good quality. Jack stands can fail and the cheaper ones fail more often. How much chance do you want take anyway? It only take one fail stand to kill you, just google jack stands fail/accident and you will have an idea. Personally, I will always use one pair of jack stands + back ups (extra pairs, old tires, etc.)...throw something under the car. Heck, if I go under the car, I have my solid wooden ramps.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14252 posts
579 upvotes
Scarborough
mucat wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 6:25 pm
Aluminum stands are more portable (track day?) and these ones are of good quality. Jack stands can fail and the cheaper ones fail more often. How much chance do you want take anyway? It only take one fail stand to kill you, just google jack stands fail/accident and you will have an idea. Personally, I will always use one pair of jack stands + back ups (extra pairs, old tires, etc.)...throw something under the car. Heck, if I go under the car, I have my solid wooden ramps.
you got any pics?
MOONBOX M3S:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread

ONE PLUS 3 GRAPHITE VERSION $650 obo

Feb 22, 2009
193 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
I just bought the 3-Ton Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack ( for $78 ) during the BlackFriday weekend and I was looking at their axle stands models ( waiting for a sale ).

While reading the horror stories about axle stands failure, especially this one, at least I know this one is the type to buy ( having a cotter pin through the center bar ) - not much to break / fail on the classing model.

OP thanked !
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
1582 posts
242 upvotes
mucat wrote:
can't argue with the portability comment, however i doubt that will be much of a factor for most people. i would opt for a pair of these instead though.

i'm not trying to put you down or anything - they are a good price for what they are, but i think most people can spend their money more wisely on a different product.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5132 posts
453 upvotes
Calgary
SizzleChest wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 7:15 pm
can't argue with the portability comment, however i doubt that will be much of a factor for most people. i would opt for a pair of these instead though.

i'm not trying to put you down or anything - they are a good price for what they are, but i think most people can spend their money more wisely on a different product.
No hard feelings at all, I am all for discussing and learning new things from each others.
In fact, I am looking into another set of 6 tons jack stands just like the one in your link.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5132 posts
453 upvotes
Calgary
actng wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 6:47 pm
you got any pics?
Here is the sticker with numbers on it:
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3386 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Not really a special price but still good jack stands if you're looking for flat top stands. It's good for cars that have aluminium pads for their jack points so it won't crush or mangled them.
Oct 30, 2009
64 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver
The Jack stands that fail are usually the ratcheting type. This jack stand uses a pin through to hold the adjustable part up which is usually the safer method and only take a bit longer to setup. The pin should be steel and is easier to design for.

mucat wrote:
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
2194 posts
145 upvotes
Anyone found one with both?
Is this with both? http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
and this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200305227

I usually change oil by using a Ramp I bought from Canadian Tire or change tire using just a Jack and a tire w/rim underneath.

But yeah, I was doing some reading after this thread and noticed most/all of the accidents are from a ratchet design.
ǝƃɐssǝɯ ǝɥʇ sı ɯnıpǝɯ ǝɥʇ
◉◉◉◉◉ITEMS I FS/WTB/SOLD/TRADED/BOUGHT◉◉◉◉◉
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=332203
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5132 posts
453 upvotes
Calgary
actng wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 12:05 am
i meant pics of your wooden ramps lol
lol, I was wondering what pic you want too see...
Anyway, you don't need pic from me, mine look like this: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/New ... /index.htm
If you don't mind the size and weight, they will be the safest ramps you can find...make.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5132 posts
453 upvotes
Calgary
I want to add that while this stands are good quality, their base are small. So they are fine for working beside the car (brake jobs), but probably not a good idea to go under.
× < >