Automotive

CT wants to charge me 546$ to fix my car .. Where do I start by doing this myself ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2015 8:54 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
XtremeModder wrote: EVERYONE should know how to change a basic car battery.
True. Though if it's trunk-mounted it may be a bit more involved if you need to remove carpeted trim pieces first.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
kingkam92 wrote: Honda Civic 1999 1.6L 4 door.

So I had a free battery check / alignment check coupon.

After 45 minutes. They tell me my front two tires are completely shot (winter tires). (100 $ per tire including installation, not very clear)
The alignment is not so well either, didn't get a chance to take a picture and didn't give me the paper. (74.99)

Before the alignment is done, I have to pay for a suspension and steering inspection (29.99) - doesn't include the full car.

Battery replacement because I had 217CCA when the battery is 410CCA. No clue what that meant when the technician explained. (134.99 for battery and 34.99 for installation)

+ 79.99 per hour labor charge.

What do you guys suggest, is there anything here I can do my self ? And should I actually repair at the moment ? Winter is coming up so instead of the 2 tires being replaced, should I replace the other 2 in the back as well ?
First thing you do is take your car to the closest Partsource they will check the battery in car for you for free. While your there have the guy have a look at the front tires he will give you his opinion. Look at the tires yourself. Do they look like they have any tread on them? Does the tread look even across the tire or is it worn uneven? If it is worn uneven you will need an alignment don`t put on new tire`s until you get the alignment done you will just ruin the new ones. After you go to Partsource lets us know what they say.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
1323 posts
411 upvotes
Quebec
Tires are obviously important 100$/tires and the CT tire protection seems about right. Battery, by yourself put it in yourself. CCA is quite low at 22X CCA... with winter coming you need a better one. Alignment, how bad is it, post pic of the results for an old *****vic like that, use it as a beater steering and supension being a bit off isn't a problem.
Nov 7, 2015
162 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This is a 1999, yeah good tires are important but you got a used car, instead of a brand new one, why do you need brand new tires on a OLD car? Doesn't make much sense cosidering the price difference imo, check craigslist, get a set of 75%-90% tread tires for 25%-50% the cost of brand new tires, have a shop install them, it's about $25 per tire for installation/balance on rims. $134.99 ($20 core charge I assume?) This battery is actually costing you 154.99 if they keep your battery, plus the labor, spend that $35 bucks on a socket set if you don't have one already and change out the battery your self in under 10 minutes!

You can often find good deals, for instance a ford dealership in my area had just taken tires off a new customers vehicle since the customer requested an upgrade, anyways the tires I bought for my FJ were around $400 and 99.9% tread, yet brand new would of been over a $1000 for them.

"free battery check / alignment check coupon." Hah yeah, it's literally a trap to get you into the door to sell you stuff maynnnne.
Jun 26, 2006
189 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
I am a car nut and wish I could do the work myself so that it is done properly. Since I can't I am very careful who works on my car and how much I pay for things. I have had bad luck with Walmart oil changes (2 different locations more than once at each). Main problem has been overfilling which I had them write not to overfill on the work order). It amazes me how often the various cars I have had over the years get overfilled from oil changes. Please make it less than full and I can add more myself. But overfill means going back, usually having a hassle as they deny it is overfull etc.

Battery tires suspension issues should all be addressed but not by CT. I have not used them in many years but never have had good experiences. I have bought Walmart batteries and even had them install one in middle of winter and they were ok for that plus their batteries have the same guarantee as the Costco ones and they have more sizes than Costco.

One of my cars is 12 years old and when we go on a trip I take it instead of my 4 year old car with 50k kms it runs so well and is rock solid reliable plus it helps keep the mileage low on my other car. But I do a ton of maintenance on them. Letting a car go especially tires and brakes is dangerous and fluid changes according to the owners manual are a must if you are keeping a car. Just find an interdependent garage who you can trust. Ask for recommendations on this forum from people who live in same city. Making sure the suspension is performing 100% is necessary too or you eat up your tires and have a lousy ride quality.
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
Go to another shop and get a second opinion. If you the major intersection where you work or live we can give you some suggestions.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
XtremeModder wrote: This girl I started seeing, I noticed a new battery sitting by her door when I dropped her off the second time we got together, said if I knew any good mechanics to install it. I went home grabbed some stuff came back and had it changed in 5 mins.

EVERYONE should know how to change a basic car battery.
How to change the battery is shockingly in my 2001 car's manual.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
in an older car, battery change is easy.. in a newer car, battery change might be a bit more complex, specailly if it's a more sophistacatd electronic vehicle.. unplugging the battery might make the key fobs not work or something...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
daivey wrote: in an older car, battery change is easy.. in a newer car, battery change might be a bit more complex, specailly if it's a more sophistacatd electronic vehicle.. unplugging the battery might make the key fobs not work or something...
true...

I had to replace mine recently. lost the time that was about it. and needed to enter my radio code.
fobs stayed programmed.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
Everyone in the garage wants your money.

I had bad lucks with independent garages thus I go to dealership. I know I would pay about 25% more but I know they know my car model well and they have the right tools. In June this year I had my car alignment done by dealer. In September I bought two tires from CT. They said my car needed alignment when I changed the two front tires. I said no and told him the alignment was done in 3 months ago AND I did not feel my car pull on either side AND there had been no obvious worn out on any tires.

A week later I went to the same CT garage to have two new tires installed to the rear of my car. After paying the garage they gave me an inspection report saying my two FRONT tires which were installed by them a week ago had 50% gone/worn out :D :D . Should I trust them?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
At least the labour rates aren't bad. Here an alignment will run you easily 160+ from a private shop and labour rates are 100+ . If your rates worry you, then welcome to car ownership. :lol:

Also, wouldn't you know if your tires are done?

You could replace the battery yourself though, it's relatively simple.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
In June this year Toyota charged me $110.- to do alignment on my Camry V6.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Certainly you can do better OP.

How much better depends on the amount of footwork you are willing to do and how much you can do yourself.

Used winter tires on Kijji but since you are in Montreal I recommend quattrotires.

Go to independent alignment place after having the tires installed.

Not sure about Montreal but lots of places in Toronto advertise $60 for two wheel alignment.

Have an independent mechanic check out your steering if you are getting problems after the wheel intall with proper balance and alignment.

Good Luck.

Still trying to get over the $34.99 plus tax to install a battery.

You can definitely save yourself this battery install fee.

Do this yourself if you have wrench set and know how to use it OP.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
gh05t wrote: Certainly you can do better OP.

How much better depends on the amount of footwork you are willing to do and how much you can do yourself.

Used winter tires on Kijji but since you are in Montreal I recommend quattrotires.

Go to independent alignment place after having the tires installed.

Not sure about Montreal but lots of places in Toronto advertise $60 for two wheel alignment.

Have an independent mechanic check out your steering if you are getting problems after the wheel intall with proper balance and alignment.

Good Luck.

Still trying to get over the $34.99 plus tax to install a battery.

You can definitely save yourself this battery install fee.

Do this yourself if you have wrench set and know how to use it OP.
Agreed totally. OP should do some homework and as said brings his wrench that could save him money. Check the tread depth of your tires to see if it is really time for new ones. Good luck.
Mar 30, 2013
440 posts
249 upvotes
Petawawa
your first mistake was taking your car into CT...
In my neck of the woods, CT charges $120 per hour. A Honda tech charges the same if not less. Honda tech> Crappy Tire.
At the very least, install your own battery. Literally, a tie down bar, and a few nuts. 10mm if I remember correctly. You need a socket, ratchet. And a beer. Probably going to have to shot gun that beer though cause it will literally take 5 minutes. Remember to trade in your dead battery.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1124 posts
182 upvotes
Whitby
kingkam92 wrote: Honda Civic 1999 1.6L 4 door.

So I had a free battery check / alignment check coupon.

After 45 minutes. They tell me my front two tires are completely shot (winter tires). (100 $ per tire including installation, not very clear)
The alignment is not so well either, didn't get a chance to take a picture and didn't give me the paper. (74.99)

Before the alignment is done, I have to pay for a suspension and steering inspection (29.99) - doesn't include the full car.

Battery replacement because I had 217CCA when the battery is 410CCA. No clue what that meant when the technician explained. (134.99 for battery and 34.99 for installation)

+ 79.99 per hour labor charge.

What do you guys suggest, is there anything here I can do my self ? And should I actually repair at the moment ? Winter is coming up so instead of the 2 tires being replaced, should I replace the other 2 in the back as well ?
Some contradictory information here. How did you end up out of pocket $100 after using a free coupon?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)