Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

CTC & HD - Chamberlain 3/4 HP Belt Garage Door Opener $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 6:54 pm
Oct 10, 2017
117 posts
33 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
akz wrote: just picked up for 189 (with 10$ off coupon) in store great buy.
Hey what coupon?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
vkizzle wrote: WTH are you even talking about?
Once the emergency cord is pulled, either directly or with the quick release; the garage door can be opened one hand.
Opening it, YES. very easy. No argument there.
But closing again is a different story, it will be difficult to get it to re-latch onto the opener travel latch since the travel latch is probably about 1/2" more forward than you can bring the door down (since it was applying forward force on the door when it was closed). Try it on a few doors.. I'd say 3 out of 5 doors can not be closed again from the outside if they were unlatched in the closed position (unless the door was adjusted to apply close to 0 pressure on the floor, when in the closed position).
So if you don't have access to the inside, you will not be able to lock the door. And even if you have access to the inside, you will need to lock it using the side latches if you have them. But need to remember not to use opener before unlatching from the inside.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
The blue one from HD has an AC motor, which means the motor doesn't have variable speed. It's the same motor used in chain garage openers, which makes a "humm" soung when running. The motor is either on or off and it's louder than a DC motor. The only difference in noise will be from the belt VS the chain.

The black one from CT has a DC motor. Slower opening/closing speed near the end and it's more quiet than an AC motor. Between the two, the CT is a no brainer IMHO.

EDIT: HD description is wrong. They both have a DC motor. Here are the differences between the two.

Home Depot:
  • No battery backup
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Canadian Tire:
  • Battery backup
  • Requires an add-on module to support Wi-Fi.
Last edited by ToNIX on Nov 23rd, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jan 6, 2009
31 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
ToNIX wrote: The blue one from HD has an AC motor, which means the motor doesn't have variable speed. It's the same motor used in chain garage openers, which makes a "humm" soung when running. The motor is either on or off and it's louder than a DC motor. The only difference in noise will be from the belt VS the chain.

The black one from CT has a DC motor. Slower opening/closing speed near the end and it's more quiet than an AC motor. Between the two, the CT is a no brainer IMHO.
I picked up the one from CT, i bought with the discounted gift cards. I didn't know about the difference in motors, thanks for pointing that out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Emporium wrote: Opening it, YES. very easy. No argument there.
But closing again is a different story, it will be difficult to get it to re-latch onto the opener travel latch since the travel latch is probably about 1/2" more forward than you can bring the door down (since it was applying forward force on the door when it was closed). Try it on a few doors.. I'd say 3 out of 5 doors can not be closed again from the outside if they were unlatched in the closed position (unless the door was adjusted to apply close to 0 pressure on the floor, when in the closed position).
So if you don't have access to the inside, you will not be able to lock the door. And even if you have access to the inside, you will need to lock it using the side latches if you have them. But need to remember not to use opener before unlatching from the inside.
I still have no idea what you're talking about.
How about getting to know how it works, to realize it's that easy?

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I still have no idea what you're talking about.
How about getting to know how it works, to realize it's that easy?
His point is totally valid, and even your video kind of proves the point. To release the door from the latch, pull the cord. Easy as 1-2-3, the door is free to move on the rails.

However, reattaching the door to the latch will be hard depending on the position of the latch. We can assume the door was initially closed and, because of that, the latch is at the furthest position possible from the motor to apply some pressure to the door. That means you'd have to close the door and also apply a good amount of pressure to reattach it the latch. Good luck.

The video actually shows how easy it is to reattach when the latch is in another position since the door moves back and forth to the latch position. You could easily re-latch it without using the motor.

How about getting to know how it works, to realize it's not that easy?

TL;DR reattaching the door to the latch is hard when it was released in the "door closed" position.
Last edited by ToNIX on Nov 23rd, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
ToNIX wrote: His point is totally valid, and even your video kind of proves the point. To release the door from the latch, pull the cord. Easy as 1-2-3, the door is free to move on the rails.

However, reattaching the door to the latch will be hard depending on the position of the latch. We can assume the door was initially closed and, because of that, the latch is at the furthest position possible from the motor to apply some pressure to the door. That means you'd have to close the door and also apply a good amount of pressure to reattach it the latch. Good luck.

The video actually shows how easy it is to reattach when the latch is in another position since the door moves back and forth to latch position. You could easily re-latch it without using the motor.

TL;DR reattaching the door to the latch is hard when it was released in the "door closed" position.
I'm going to try it out tomorrow to see how difficult it is.
Oct 10, 2017
117 posts
33 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
ToNIX wrote: The blue one from HD has an AC motor, which means the motor doesn't have variable speed. It's the same motor used in chain garage openers, which makes a "humm" soung when running. The motor is either on or off and it's louder than a DC motor. The only difference in noise will be from the belt VS the chain.

EDIT: Thanks to the OP for editing the first post. Here are the differences between the two.

Home Depot:
  • AC motor (older technology, noisier, no variable speed)
  • No battery backup
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Canadian Tire:
  • DC motor (newer technology, quieter, variable speed)
  • Battery backup
All excellent points. I have the CT 3/4 unit and it is ultra quiet, a big change from my old chain drive Craftsman. I cannot comment on the noise level of the home depot unit but I am happy with mine.
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10596 posts
15787 upvotes
GT-EH
ToNIX wrote: His point is totally valid, and even your video kind of proves the point. To release the door from the latch, pull the cord. Easy as 1-2-3, the door is free to move on the rails.

The video actually shows how easy it is to reattach when the latch is in another position since the door moves back and forth to the latch position. You could easily re-latch it without using the motor.

How about getting to know how it works, to realize it's not that easy?

I've always re-attached the latch by "opening the garage door"...
as the latch is pulled in, the garage door will latch and click into place.

Forcing the door into the latch is always harder, when you can do it the other way easier. ;)
Public Mobile Customer, $34/50GB CAN-US
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2759 posts
1397 upvotes

EDIT: Thanks to the OP for editing the first post. Here are the differences between the two.

Home Depot:
  • No battery backup
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Canadian Tire:
  • Battery backup
how were you able to tell the difference in the motor? i read through the two manuals and did not find a specification of them.
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10596 posts
15787 upvotes
GT-EH

Home Depot:
  • No battery backup
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Canadian Tire:
  • Battery backup
FYI, Homedepot's product specification page is wrong...
I just checked mine (Model HD750WFC) and on the side of the box it indicates it has a DC motor.

The differences come down to these set of features:

Home Depot:
  • No battery backup
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Canadian Tire:
  • Battery backup
Last edited by GiOBoY on Nov 23rd, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
You see the motor type on the Home Depot website for the blue model (in the specifications section, it states AC).

As for CT, googling the model number (WD962KEVC) brings you to Amazon and Costco, which states that it's a DC motor. Also, the fact that it has variable speed proves it's a DC motor.

EDIT If HD specification is wrong, the only difference would be battery backup and wi-fi.
Last edited by ToNIX on Nov 23rd, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
2061 posts
4409 upvotes
GiOBoY wrote: FYI, Homedepot's product specification page is wrong...
I just checked mine (Model HD750WFC) and on the side of the box it indicates it has a DC motor.

The differences come down to these set of features:

Home Depot:
  • No battery backup
  • Built-in Wi-Fi

Canadian Tire:
  • Battery backup
Exactly. I have the HD version purchased for $225 earlier in the year. I can confirm it is variable speed – when closing it slows down for a soft close.

The HD option is a better value IMO as #1) It's belt driven (MUCH quiter than chain), #2) has same DC motor (w/ variable speed) as the Canadian Tire version, and #3) Includes the Wifi connectivity (which is great for me being a motorcycle rider and not having to carry an extra clicker on me) – which is more useful than battery backup in my instance.

Remember that even without battery backup, the rare time your house's power goes out and you have garage access from your house, you can just pull the release cord to get in and out of garage (the old school way).
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10596 posts
15787 upvotes
GT-EH
ToNIX wrote: You see the motor type on the Home Depot website for the blue model (in the specifications section, it states AC).

As for CT, googling the model number (WD962KEVC) brings you to Amazon and Costco, which states that it's a DC motor. Also, the fact that it has variable speed proves it's a DC motor.

EDIT If HD specification is wrong, the only difference would be battery backup and wi-fi.
Don't pay attention to the HD website specs, it's definitely wrong.

Proof in attached pic (bottom center)
IMG_20171123_231509.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
Thanks guys, good to know! So it comes down to wi-fi vs bàttery!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1225 posts
409 upvotes
calgary
can you close the garage from anywhere or just your wifi at home?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)