[Canadian Tire] CTC: Raleigh Serengeti Bicycle 1/2 Price $239

Raleigh Serengeti Bicycle

Sale: From $239.99
Reg: From $479.99
  • 6061 Aluminum single pivot dual suspension one piece frame
  • RST Omni suspension fork
  • 21-speed Shimano EZ-Fire shifters
  • Shimano front and rear derailleurs
  • Linear pull brakes, Kenda hot patch tires, quick release seat post and front wheel
8 replies
Sep 22, 2005
45 posts
Does anyone know if this bike is good or bad? I've been looking for a decent bike for regular biking (around the neighborhood, along local biking trails, etc.). Nothing competitive.
Jul 23, 2003
504 posts
21 upvotes
Chatham
a) Every and all department store bikes are crap
b) Bikes < $500 are generally crap
c) If you wish to purchase crappy department store bike: purchase a hardtail and not overweight, useless, failure-prone full suspension bike.

Seriously though. Biking season start now. Go local bike shop and I'm sure you can get a great deal on 2006 models.
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
full suspension isnt totally useless but around town, hard tail is better. That bike does look as if it got crap shocks anyhow and definetly the components on it wont last u through trails.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2004
1707 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
the_peel wrote:
Apr 14th, 2007 12:03 pm
Does anyone know if this bike is good or bad? I've been looking for a decent bike for regular biking (around the neighborhood, along local biking trails, etc.). Nothing competitive.
how much do you want to spend? i agree that the dual suspension is probably useless. what kind of trails are you riding and how often are you going to be riding?
Jun 15, 2005
265 posts
I'll take a single-speed city bike over that piece of crap any day.

The more gizmos and wizbangs on a bike, the more gizmos and wizbangs to go wrong.

Ride fixed in the city for maximum efficiency.
Sep 21, 2003
865 posts
47 upvotes
It seems that it comes unassembled, so you will have to pay extra to have that done, or else assemble it yourself.
You will find the rear suspension will rob some of the pedalling power as it bobs up and down, plus it adds a lot of extra weight.
Normally I would agree with the others about buying a bike at CT or any other mass retailer, but this seems to be a legitimate sale. It is definately a lower level bike with low grade components and wheels so the regular price was rediculous.
Personally, if I was going to spend $250. on a bike I look in the used market for a lighter bike with better components.
2740 posts
627 upvotes
Airdrie
pengu wrote:
Apr 14th, 2007 1:39 pm
I'll take a single-speed city bike over that piece of crap any day.

Ride fixed in the city for maximum efficiency.
You live in a very flat city.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2004
2225 posts
71 upvotes
Ajax
Every time there's a thread with a bike on sale, the elitist bikers come out to diss it. Not everyone is a hardcore avid biker like yourselves, and most people don't do trials with them, or hardcore trail riding.
× < >