• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2018 7:25 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Wondering if Cuba would be ok for 5-7 days in July with kids under 7. Any particular good AI recommendations or hotels?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Shop-a-holic wrote: Wondering if Cuba would be ok for 5-7 days in July with kids under 7. Any particular good AI recommendations or hotels?
July is OK if you are not afraid of the heat. At the beach it is comfortable, but as soon as you get on the resort, it is crazy hot. Please don't do what I did on my first trip to Cuba in August of some year... be sure to go to a resort that offer air conditioning at the main buffet.

I really liked the Ocean El Patriarca in Varadero, but quality in Cuba is not consistent. one year a 5* can be a *WOW* and next year it can worth not more than a 3*... went to Melia Cayo Guillermo, had no issues there personnally, but some others were complaining about room cleanliness... mildew, etc... I also liked Cayo Santa Maria, but it is quite a long trip from the airport, 1.5 to 2 hours

About the food, some people are picky eaters and will possibli find it difficult, but in general everyting is good, and they do what they can with what they have. Do not expect to find apples at the buffet, but there is plenty of pineapples, bananas, etc... Someone talked about ketchup... so true, do not eat ketchup there ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote:
About the food, some people are picky eaters and will possibli find it difficult, but in general everyting is good, and they do what they can with what they have. Do not expect to find apples at the buffet, but there is plenty of pineapples, bananas, etc... Someone talked about ketchup... so true, do not eat ketchup there ;)
Unbelievable guavas, mangoes, papayas, mangoes, giant avocados and if you can get your hands on fresh coconut water. Only thing which tasted strange were the pineapples but pinacoladas (mostly had virgin) hit the spot :D. In the buffet they had quince and jams and juices and sauces made out of fruits, which were amazing. One day they had fresh sugarcane juice machine on the beach but sadly only one day.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Shop-a-holic wrote: Wondering if Cuba would be ok for 5-7 days in July with kids under 7. Any particular good AI recommendations or hotels?
Some other folks in the same plane had booked Iberostar Varadero, as they had kids and on our return flight they had only positive things to say.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
loonie wrote: Unbelievable guavas, mangoes, papayas, mangoes, giant avocados and if you can get your hands on fresh coconut water. Only thing which tasted strange were the pineapples but pinacoladas (mostly had virgin) hit the spot :D. In the buffet they had quince and jams and juices and sauces made out of fruits, which were amazing. One day they had fresh sugarcane juice machine on the beach but sadly only one day.
well i found the pineapples pretty tasty, the best ones I ever had. At the look I thought that they were not ripe, they where white, compared to our yellow/gold we have here but wow, that taste! ;) I recall papayas tasting like… sorry… vomit… Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
3 1/2 years ago, my wife and I went to Cuba for 19 days. We stayed only in CPs and toured the whole country. Many dinners and all breakfasts were in CPs, and lunches were usually in paladars (got better the further east we went, and we went all the way to Baracoa). A few government restaurants thrown in. Never got sick. Food was o.k. though boring in some.

Hiked up some mountain near Gibera (El Yanqui). Half way up, there was a guy offering all the fruit you wanted harvested locally and he hauled it up) for CUC 1.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: well i found the pineapples pretty tasty, the best ones I ever had. At the look I thought that they were not ripe, they where white, compared to our yellow/gold we have here but wow, that taste! ;) I recall papayas tasting like… sorry… vomit… Face Screaming In Fear
Lol!! I suppose it depends a lot on where the fruit is coming from, as well as personal likes. I had no problem with the pineapples looking white but everytime I tried they were hard, mangoes looked really ugly on the outside but they were divine. Took me a few days to get over the Cuban coffee as well, it was such a pure taste. I saw folks enjoying sea food cooked to order by the plate full but obviously I can't comment on the quality.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2010
1200 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
so a quick question.
For travel medical insurance..

am i able to just show my manulife group benefit card from the company?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
GurungBoi wrote: so a quick question.

I used my insurance in Cuba twice. Had to pay directly to the doctor cash in CUC (the cuban currency for tourists) for his service, and medecine he prescribed, and submitted the receipts to my insurance co. (BlueCross) when I got back home. Did not called Blue Cross before meetingthe doctor, contract says that insurer MUST approve all claims before you see the doctor, but I said to insurance co. that communication to Canada from Cuba were difficult, and they paid back, no questions asked. Also needed to see a doctor in US, but had been pre-approved by insurer first.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
GurungBoi wrote: so a quick question.

you don't have to show anything, you just show your passport.
Oct 27, 2012
406 posts
396 upvotes
Shwa
Going to Playa Cayo Santa Maria in a couple weeks. Have never been to Cuba or an all inclusive resort so I don't have nothing really to compare it to. We've only been to Oahu, Big Island, and Disney, Royal Caribbean cruises. I don't have my expectations for food very high, just wanna sit back, get some sun, do some fishing and drink some cerveza with my ohana!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2010
1200 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
im heading to Vardero right in the ams.
First time for me as well and have 300 usd or so ready to exchange when needed.
prepared some old clothes that fairly new but i cant fit cause im too fat :P hahah
Weather seems okay with dashes of rain .
Overall hoping to have a great time.
Aug 12, 2010
58 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thank you Loonie for sharing your experience in Cuba. Very helpful.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
GurungBoi wrote: im heading to Vardero right in the ams.
First time for me as well and have 300 usd or so ready to exchange when needed.
You just publicly admited to wasting US$30. The 10% penalty to convert US cash still applies. (Thanks Obama. ;) )
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
By the way, to point out the obvious, don't bring back any CUC. It's demise or devaluation is imminent. Castro was supposed to take care of it but didn't and now the new guy really has no choice. If the currency survives the winter intact I'll be really surprised. The dual currency system is an accounting nightmare. Although changing it isn't going to be a picnic.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 29599.html
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
518 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote: By the way, to point out the obvious, don't bring back any CUC. It's demise or devaluation is imminent. Castro was supposed to take care of it but didn't and now the new guy really has no choice. If the currency survives the winter intact I'll be really surprised. The dual currency system is an accounting nightmare. Although changing it isn't going to be a picnic.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 29599.html
O! I have 25 CUCs -- have to get to Cuba fast.
Please, hold it another 1-2 weeks.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
2107 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
tequilla wrote: O! I have 25 CUCs -- have to get to Cuba fast.
Please, hold it another 1-2 weeks.

Cheers!
Lol!! I have about 10.....worse come they will add to my Lira collection.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Flashfood app
Swagbucks
Feb 12, 2013
169 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote: You just publicly admited to wasting US$30. The 10% penalty to convert US cash still applies. (Thanks Obama. ;) )
Why this has something to do with Obama? He's not the one causing 10% penalty on US currency exchange to Cuban money.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
travelfever wrote: Why this has something to do with Obama? He's not the one causing 10% penalty on US currency exchange to Cuban money.
Cuba and the USA had an agreement to remove the 10% penalty if certain conditions were met. Castro decided the conditions were not met, so Cuba has kept the US currency penalty.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2153 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Hows 3G in Cuba? Is it true that a SIM card can be purchased in any airport now?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)