Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga

Cuba Cayo Santa Marie

I have noticed they are booking starting November 1st to the resorts in Cuba Cayo Santa Marie. Is the causeway fixed? Is anybody planning on going or already had trip booked have you heard anything from your agent?

Is it a good idea to go right away after they open or should people wait for reports back on the condition of the resorts?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1101 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 3:57 pm
I have noticed they are booking starting November 1st to the resorts in Cuba Cayo Santa Marie. Is the causeway fixed? Is anybody planning on going or already had trip booked have you heard anything from your agent?

Is it a good idea to go right away after they open or should people wait for reports back on the condition of the resorts?
I would not book Cayo Santa Maria until the new year. Some tour operators are already re-scheduling flights to begin in Jan (vs November as previously planned). Honestly, go somewhere else.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:35 pm
I would not book Cayo Santa Maria until the new year. Some tour operators are already re-scheduling flights to begin in Jan (vs November as previously planned). Honestly, go somewhere else.
Thanks for the information. Does that apply to all of Cuba?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1101 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:47 pm
Thanks for the information. Does that apply to all of Cuba?
Holguin and Varadero are fully operational. Holguin was never hit. Havana and Cayo Largo are fine too.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:44 am
Holguin and Varadero are fully operational. Holguin was never hit. Havana and Cayo Largo are fine too.
Thanks

Your information is a great help to myself and others trying to decide where to go and where not to go this season.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3993 posts
475 upvotes
Thornhill
Cayo will not be a good destination for at least 2 months and even Havana or Varadero are bad options too. Less food and MORE( cuba lately had a lot of people getting sick) diseases and water contamination due to the sewage issues and spills. As much as I love Cuba, I would not go at least until February, March until it's back to somewhat prior state and some areas will take way more than that as they were completely destroyed.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3993 posts
475 upvotes
Thornhill
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:44 am

Not true, Holguin was hit! While not anywhere near the power of Cayo, it was enough to knock down power lines, flood homes, some resorts and take a few roofs of locals which aren't very heavy or strong. The damage wasn't big,but nevertheless, it was hit!
Havana also suffered a lot, flooding was massive in the city, a few buildings collapsed, issues or sewer, fresh water, hotel flooding,etc. While lower floors may have suffered the most, there was still a lot of damage. And as I said, there are other issues besides the construction. Once sewage and other drain water mixes with fresh water, health issues arise. And you will not hear about that in the Cuban news as the government is very protective. If you talk to locals or know someone there they will tell you all that. There was food and water shortages in the first 3 weeks for locals, not sure about now. I bet that wasn't in the news.

And here are some of the crap you can catch from contaminated water: https://www.in.gov/isdh/22963.htm
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1101 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
dazz wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:01 pm
Not true, Holguin was hit! While not anywhere near the power of Cayo, it was enough to knock down power lines, flood homes, some resorts and take a few roofs of locals which aren't very heavy or strong. The damage wasn't big,but nevertheless, it was hit!
Havana also suffered a lot, flooding was massive in the city, a few buildings collapsed, issues or sewer, fresh water, hotel flooding,etc. While lower floors may have suffered the most, there was still a lot of damage. And as I said, there are other issues besides the construction. Once sewage and other drain water mixes with fresh water, health issues arise. And you will not hear about that in the Cuban news as the government is very protective. If you talk to locals or know someone there they will tell you all that. There was food and water shortages in the first 3 weeks for locals, not sure about now. I bet that wasn't in the news.

And here are some of the crap you can catch from contaminated water: https://www.in.gov/isdh/22963.htm
Holguin was NOT hit (a hit being a direct hit) they received some excess rain and wind. The resorts there were fully operational within 2-3 days. Many passengers who had their trips cancelled were re-booked to Holguin.

For the most part the resorts in Varadero are up in running. Some are closed until November 1st. Many hotels in Havana are back up and running.

The purple is roughly were Holguin is located- the red would be the Cayos
**on my phone but have better maps on my work computer

Source: I am a buyer for an airline/tour operator. Cuba is not my territory however my friend/colleague oversees that territory. During the hurricane/ongoing situation I assisted that territory with resort assessments.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
Any news on Dominican Republic and Mexico?
Penalty Box
Nov 1, 2001
1514 posts
58 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:03 pm
Mexico wasn't touched.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1101 posts
358 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:03 pm
Dominican was kissed by the hurricanes with 0 damage to resort areas (some trees down etc). Resorts were fully operational within 48-72 hours receiving new guests.

Mexico was not affected in any way. In fact prices went up slightly due to demand.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:13 am
Dominican was kissed by the hurricanes with 0 damage to resort areas (some trees down etc). Resorts were fully operational within 48-72 hours receiving new guests.

Mexico was not affected in any way. In fact prices went up slightly due to demand.
Great thanks
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4118 posts
1017 upvotes
Winnipeg
Stay away from Memories chain
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1462 posts
774 upvotes
I love these Hurricane topics, where folks determine that if it was not a direct hit it doesn't count.

These recent Hurricanes were HUGE (500 miles across) and POWERFUL (150+ MPH Winds) and brought tons of rain & severe storm surge. Just because a place wasn't within the eye-wall, does not mean there was not SEVERE damage / disruption vs how things were prior to the Hurricane(s).

Cuba is putting on a brave face... Cause like many other Non-US, British or French affiliated Islands in the Caribbean THEY HAVE TO... Tourism is literally their whole economy.

We have friends who live part time in Cuba... As well as a work buddy who just got back (he went cause he did not buy Travel Insurance). In both cases, reports are things are NOT NORMAL. Cuba was always a more rustic vacation experience especially so when it came to accommodations & food. Now it is more so, even in Havanna & the Resort Areas. Food variety is now even more wanting than before, and will be so for quite sometime as Hurricane Irma's wind & rain did not spare much of this island at all (a small area to the southeast & another to the northwest)... And so crops were wiped out.

There may be "just trees down" in areas like Varadero to the eye of the Tour Promoter (who has something to gain from painting a rosy picture) ... but the truth is the infrastructure has taken a huge blow... And it will take time to make a full come back

This is also true for many other places that were hit by Irma & Maria this season... Be they rich or poor countries. Even places in Florida, like The Keys which is connected to the mainland USA and has all the resources they can access at their fingertips are struggling.

Like any other vacation purchase, I suggest that this year that those who plan to travel do lots of research BEFORE putting down any cash. That doesn't mean don't travel... Just have REALUSTIC EXPECTATIONS.

We personally, are going to continue on with our Winter Vacation plans in the Hurricane ravaged area we made almost a year ago. Mind you, we are going somewhere we have been many times before. So we already know THE GOOD, and are braced for THE BAD. Others have cancelled out (IMO a good choice for a newbie). We could have done the same, but we are going because although it may be a bit of a rougher vacation than in the past, we are going to support the people / local economy. And if that means spending a few days volunteering hammering nails in the hot sun vs just laying around drinking the afternoon away, we are ok with that too. Irma & Maria were brutal to so many great places & people. local folks without insurance & financial means. In our opinion, they need help, real hands on help, and we intend to bring it.