Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:30 pm
Forget the Travel Industry (they just want to put bums in seats, no matter the reality). You want REAL TIME info then chat with folks who actually live in the area. The TripAdvisor Forums have been a god-send this year with all the Hurricanes in the Eastern Caribbean. Check out posts on the TA Cayo Santa Maria Travel Forum.

And if you have a very specific question you can post it and get replies

This one thread in particular has good info, and a link to a local couple in Cayo Santa Maria with updates.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g6 ... _Cuba.html
You do realize there are HUNDREDS of different roles in the "travel industry".

Not everyone who works in the "travel industry" has any financial gain to advise someone with incorrect information over a message board LOL Not everyone is a TA or in a sales role (and like any other profession there are good/informed TA's and other uninformed ones).

And your right; Trip Advisor is a great source especially in the forums section where you have many repeat travelers and locals who know the destination well. I used TA often for my personal travels.

My colleagues were in Cayo Santa Maria for a few days last week to oversee some re-openings- they are back in the office today if anyone has an particular questions (and again, we are all in B2B rolls with 0 financial gain by spreading false information). Also, I should mention my territory that I work with is NOT Cuba.
Feb 3, 2006
967 posts
19 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 4:46 pm
You do realize there are HUNDREDS of different roles in the "travel industry".

Not everyone who works in the "travel industry" has any financial gain to advise someone with incorrect information over a message board LOL Not everyone is a TA or in a sales role (and like any other profession there are good/informed TA's and other uninformed ones).

And your right; Trip Advisor is a great source especially in the forums section where you have many repeat travelers and locals who know the destination well. I used TA often for my personal travels.

My colleagues were in Cayo Santa Maria for a few days last week to oversee some re-openings- they are back in the office today if anyone has an particular questions (and again, we are all in B2B rolls with 0 financial gain by spreading false information). Also, I should mention my territory that I work with is NOT Cuba.
I'm just curious to know what is general shape of the hotels in Cayo Santa Maria.
I know the causway (sp) is repaired but my buddy is interested to know if the hotels , especially Golden Tulip Aguas Claras, has been fixed.??

Any info your colleagues might have would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fogo wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:05 pm
I'm just curious to know what is general shape of the hotels in Cayo Santa Maria.
I know the causway (sp) is repaired but my buddy is interested to know if the hotels , especially Golden Tulip Aguas Claras, has been fixed.??

Any info your colleagues might have would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Golden Tullip will be open in another week (around the 15th or so). I can confirm the causeway is up and running. My colleagues we're at the Melia's (now open)

Golden Tullip, Warwick and Sol Cayo SM are the last resorts to re-open (around the 15th).

It still remains to be seen if there will be any water issues/ logistics issue that will plague these resorts. They had some water issues last year. Until the resort hits full capacity (around a Christmas) we will see.

Personally, I would not book the Cayos until after Christmas if you really want to be sure.

If I hear anything about the resort being pushed back on their opening dates I can PM if you like. Last minute updates like this are not uncommon for Cuba.
Feb 3, 2006
967 posts
19 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:20 am
Golden Tullip will be open in another week (around the 15th or so). I can confirm the causeway is up and running. My colleagues we're at the Melia's (now open)

Golden Tullip, Warwick and Sol Cayo SM are the last resorts to re-open (around the 15th).

It still remains to be seen if there will be any water issues/ logistics issue that will plague these resorts. They had some water issues last year. Until the resort hits full capacity (around a Christmas) we will see.

Personally, I would not book the Cayos until after Christmas if you really want to be sure.

If I hear anything about the resort being pushed back on their opening dates I can PM if you like. Last minute updates like this are not uncommon for Cuba.
That would be great.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3333 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
Here is a list of hotels that are now officially illegal for Americans. I think it is pretty much every hotel on Cayo Santa Maria. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any reward to denouncing illegal Americans, so you will have to resort to blackmail. ;)

Hat tip Tom Clyde.

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/cuba ... 275331.htm
Toronto is a very small part of Canada