Site Comments & Suggestions

***Current Login System Issues*** (January 30)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2013 9:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6845 posts
394 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 8:03 pm
remember me not working. fixed deploy? ya right.
Careful, they already issued me an infraction for "rudeness" for complaining earlier. Because that's more important than fixing the site or updating the users.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Jan 16, 2013
4 posts
I've had to sign up for new account so that I can actually login in to post here. Regular username: jiffi

I've been unable to sign in since mid-day Tuesday. At first I was getting directed to the page with this message:

Next step: Confirm your account settings
Our terms of service have changed. You will need to read our new terms and accept the changes. Please type in your current password to confirm your identity.
Your current RedFlagDeals.com username conflicts with an existing Yellow Pages username. You will need to choose a new username for your login. This will only change the credentials you use to log into RedFlagDeals.com; you will keep your current username on the RedFlagDeals.com forums.

I did not proceed as it was initially announced that this message was 'bogus' and then later refrained from proceeding once it was announced that selecting a new username could be irreversible etc. Over the course of the past 3 days I have tried logging in on numerous occasions on my laptop (using 3 different browsers), my pc, and my blackberry - I have tried all of these methods via the main page login, the sign in at the top right of the forums, and various other means. However, out of the (absurd) number of attempts, I have managed to log in just once, which was accomplished the other night by selecting the 'log in to thank user' button at the bottom of a thread post in the forum (however, the logged 'in' status lasted for approx 3 seconds, and I was logged out once I clicked to view a different thread). Unfortunately, selecting this method of login (even if the login is VERY temporary) succeeded only on that particular occasion and no longer works.

Also, now when trying to login, I am no longer presented with the option of updating my login username, and every login attempt now loops me directly me to this thread. I have not been able to find ANY possible way to login and/or access the appropriate page to update my login username so that it is in conformity with the new yellow pages ID/6 character requirement/etc.
Nothing works for me re: logging in and as a result and I've been completely shut out since the rfd update.

Please look into this and advise how I can login in under my regular account - or how I can at get to the proper page to update my info to allow for a login. Thanks.
Jan 16, 2013
49 posts
5 upvotes
jjwhitt wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 9:10 pm
Regarding logging in - I no longer see the option to connect via Windows Live account (Hotmail). Use to be right beside the Facebook log in.
What about this? I see no mention of this anywhere. What about the people who used to log in using our Live account, what are we supposed to do?

I tried using Facebook but that only took me to a white page but I was able to see this somewhere in the url: "UserAlreadyLinkedToASocialProvider". Yes, I know, Windows live... but that option is no longer there. I tried regular login using my hotmail address and password and that told me the combination was not valid. Tried to reset my password using my windows live email, said the email was sent but I never received anything. I checked my junk mail folder. Tried creating a new account with my windows live email, said it was already in use so I went with my Gmail. My username is also already in use.

I also sent two emails using the form on the website but haven't heard anything back.

I'd rather not have to start everything over if I don't have to, is there a way to recover our old accounts linked to our windows live accounts??
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
2125 posts
880 upvotes
jiffi1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 8:19 pm
I did not proceed as it was initially announced that this message was 'bogus' and then later refrained from proceeding once it was announced that selecting a new username could be irreversible etc.
This is why I didn't try to do this anymore, it looks like it was a miscommunication from support to say the message was bogus. What worked for me was to delete all my RFD cookies, cache and then login (browser: Firefox). It showed me the update page and it proceeded correctly this time (before I was getting the "can't connect to login error"). Have you tried that since attempting to upgrade?
Jan 16, 2013
4 posts
joeyl wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 8:35 pm
This is why I didn't try to do this anymore, it looks like it was a miscommunication from support to say the message was bogus. What worked for me was to delete all my RFD cookies, cache and then login (browser: Firefox). It showed me the update page and it proceeded correctly this time (before I was getting the "can't connect to login error"). Have you tried that since attempting to upgrade?
Later on I became aware that it was miscommunication - and I don't have any issues with that, as it is certainly understandable in the circumstances that there would be some misinformation/miscommunications at the outset of all of these issues. However, (like you) I didn't proceed once I saw this first announcement, and then also thought it would be best to wait for a bit after the annoucement was clarified in case there were any further issues with undertaking this particular updating route. But, then, this option disapeared for me....
I'll try your suggestions now - thanks very much for the advice. Would you be able to explain how I can find and delete only the cookies, cache, etc. associated with rfd only and nothing else? (using IE8)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8416 posts
13388 upvotes
I wrote earlier that my More Button was not working (and the arrow is overlapping the words)- as it turns out this is just at home and not at work - both IE.

However I also noticed that the button is just fine when I go to the home page.
Jan 16, 2013
4 posts
I've cleared all rfd cookies and cache in both chrome and in firefox. Still can't login on either browser and no update page surfaces.

Tried logging in from top right section at: http://www.redflagdeals.com/ and get routed to back same page.
Tried logging in from top right section at: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ and get routed back to same page.
Tried logging in from: https://www.redflagdeals.com/user/login/ (using username method and also using email address method) and get get routed back to http://forums.redflagdeals.com/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
5683 posts
1527 upvotes
Toronto
OK so far my Desktop Chrome and Android Chrome seems to have improved. Desktop logged me out once because I changed my password again.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
382 upvotes
Valleywood
My IE10 using username/password login continues to log out after awhile. If there is a pattern to the log out, I am not seeing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9908 posts
435 upvotes
Mississauga
Calmuser wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 8:40 pm
still logged in for now!

If i'm still logged in couple of hours, it might be fixed!
I had to log back in.
Mar 6, 2008
685 posts
290 upvotes
Kelowna
I am logged in however I still cannot change my password... :|
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6318 posts
714 upvotes
Winnipeg
irritating

here's a trick and its not a bug but a web page flaw, You log in but it doesn't? sound familiar? then it takes you to the create account page. if you have an account you log in or create a new account? again sound familiar. well all you needed to do was log in say at the forum level it will take you thru what we have all experienced. but instead of logging in twice or creating a new account if you have a bookmark for the forum go thru it after your first log in. suddenly your logged in. it won't last if you leave rfd but just log in again and go thru a bookmark or back button you'll be logged in. You don't need to create a new account or log in twice for whatever reason your the log ins are expiring way too fast
Dec 29, 2005
446 posts
42 upvotes
Montreal
With FF, I still get mobile view, with IE all works
× < >