Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Curtis GPS - $47 at Canadian Tire (not only Kingston!)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2015 11:31 pm
Aug 11, 2008
637 posts
222 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Curtis GPS - $47 at Canadian Tire (not only Kingston!)

I was in Canadian Tire today (Kingston, Gardners Road location), and they had the Curtis GPS gpd359 on sale for $47. Link to specs here: http://www.curtisint.com/products/Image ... GPD359.pdf

It wasn't in their weekly flyer, and the cashier seemed to believe they were just trying to clear a discontinued product. This leads me to believe this may be a local deal.

Reviews of the device seem to be mediocre, but for $47, I'm not complaining.

As requested by yuprules, here is a link to the hacking guide on page 5: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... &page=5#65

A HUGE THANKS to everyone who has contributed information about how to hack/play with the GPS. Expecially to yuprules who posted the hacking guide and the members who have been answering our newbie questions!
4463 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1160 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
saw it for the same price @ brampton
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1514 posts
382 upvotes
I also saw this at my local CT. The guy said the maps are very outdated and that he called the company and they said they are working on new mapping and that it would be coming soon (but no mention of an exact or approximate date). Once I heard that it was a cold deal for me. I wouldn't even pay $10 for it.
❗
Apr 8, 2007
20 posts
1 upvote
Picked one up. This is a good price for what your getting. Maps are from 2006/2007. Microsoft CE 5.0 Platform (2007). I am hoping to hack this, making it my project. For $50, I'll just keep it in my glove box as a backup to my 'keen sense of direction'.

FYI, I took the last one from Mavis and Britannia in Mississauga.

Cheers.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Good price if its hackable.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1900 posts
2263 upvotes
Calgary
Picked one up as well just to try to hack. Still haven't figured it out, so any other posts in here would help since there aren't too many other people with this.

It runs Sygic Drive 7 with Teleatlas Maps from 2007, same maps as the TomTom Go X20 series. User interface on Sygic is similar to TomTom as well, but it is a little harder since you always have to enter the city every time, and large cities are divided into many entries (ie. 3 entries for Calgary). This isn't a popular program.

Sale date on the computer seemed to be until May 13th, so lots of time to pick them up.

There is also a Magllan Roadmate 1200 for $79.99.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2004
1060 posts
579 upvotes
To access the WinCe shell you need to connect the GPS to your computer and then go to the TFAT drive (it's a 2GB internal storage that stores the GPS software) and modify SHELL.INI from:
\residentflash\Coship Navi\Drive\Drive.exe
to:
\windows\explorer.exe

From the GPS click on the Navigation icon.

Enjoy ;)
Apr 6, 2005
222 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks for the tip. Is it possible to use that so I can update the maps on this crappy GPS? At least it will give it some life till I can get a real one :)

JeeZues wrote: To access the WinCe shell you need to connect the GPS to your computer and then go to the TFAT drive (it's a 2GB internal storage that stores the GPS software) and modify SHELL.INI from:
to:
\windows\explorer.exe

Enjoy ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2004
1060 posts
579 upvotes
bm_attar wrote: Thanks for the tip. Is it possible to use that so I can update the maps on this crappy GPS? At least it will give it some life till I can get a real one :)
Once unlocked you can get maps updates, use other navigation software, etc.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
31 upvotes
not bad, for 50bux u can hack it to have gps software like garmin/igo8,navigon..most with TTS

its running winCE5.0?

someone please post a CAT number or product number im gonna call crappy tire to confirm if they got this

impossible to get thru!!! BS

the one on port union rylander has LOTS, 47.99$ confirmed price... 50%+ off reg was 117$ i think he told me

if only it had a 4.3inch screen i'd get it..i already have a 4.3inch omnitech hacked gps unit
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
JeeZues wrote: To access the WinCe shell you need to connect the GPS to your computer and then go to the TFAT drive (it's a 2GB internal storage that stores the GPS software) and modify SHELL.INI from:
to:
\windows\explorer.exe

Enjoy ;)
HI JeeZues, do you own this model? What software you get working on this gps (after all the built in software sucks).

Yes, can someone get Canadian tire product number off their bill so they can easily look it up for me so I don't drive around looking for this? I don't think I've ever seen this in Quebec at CT (bet you the box is all in English which is why it isn't sold in Quebec).

Curtis GPS Hacking/Unlocking guide here on page 5:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... &page=5#65

Happy unlocking everyone and don't install Miopocket!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2004
1060 posts
579 upvotes
yuprules wrote: HI JeeZues, do you own this model? What software you get working on this gps (after all the built in software sucks).

Yes, can someone get Canadian tire product number off their bill so they can easily look it up for me so I don't drive around looking for this? I don't think I've ever seen this in Quebec at CT (bet you the box is all in English which is why it isn't sold in Quebec).
Yes, I bought it this morning.
I tried TT and it works fine, I don't see any reason why any of the other ones wouldn't work on this.
I'm playing with MioPocket, it's not bad as a portal. You need to add a line to the mortscript init file to shut down shell.exe (the interface that comes with the unit)
The # on the receipt is: 099-1981-04
the unit is worth it regardless of the GPS unit it, what I care for is that it takes SDHC and it plays videos to keep my daughter entertained on long trips.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
JeeZues wrote: Yes, I bought it this morning.
I tried TT and it works fine, I don't see any reason why any of the other ones wouldn't work on this.
I'm playing with MioPocket, it's not bad as a portal. You need to add a line to the mortscript init file to shut down shell.exe (the interface that comes with the unit)
The # on the receipt is: 099-1981-04
the unit is worth it regardless of the GPS unit it, what I care for is that it takes SDHC and it plays videos to keep my daughter entertained on long trips.
Thanks! Will try to find this. Does the box have any French on it? If not, doubt I can find this in Quebec (doh!).

Yes, it's really cool that it accepts SDHC cards, put in 16 gigs of videos as a divx player and of course install another GPS software on it...can't go wrong for $47. :) Ooh you put TomTom on it, sweet.

Windows CE 5 also helps, many newer software's don't run on 4.2 anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2004
1060 posts
579 upvotes
yuprules wrote: Does the box have any French on it? If not, doubt I can find this in Quebec (doh!).
If "Systeme de navigation GPS" is French then yes :D
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
Montreal:

Called Atwater got shot down saying we don't carry this, but STRANGELY he said it's an Ontario deal. I think he saw the price drop and snagged all of them for himself or he reads red flag deals and was being helpful. So don't bother here for now.

Buddy checked Sources, they have some in the stock room! Friend bought me one and he's got one too. THANKS OP! inmyturret you rock!

Curtis GPS Hacking/Unlocking guide here on page 5:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... &page=5#65

Happy unlocking everyone and don't install Miopocket!
Nov 26, 2002
642 posts
81 upvotes
My local CT looked it up. It's in their computer for $47. They even show 28 on hand. Can they find them. Of course not. My local CT can never find anything they have on hand. They did say they sold 1 yesterday out of the display so they aren't denying the deal or maybe they are.
Sep 6, 2007
282 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
^^ I don't suppose they gave you an inventory number did they?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1671 posts
402 upvotes
Montreal
yuprules wrote: Montreal:

Called Atwater got shot down saying we don't carry this, but STRANGELY he said it's an Ontario deal. I think he saw the price drop and snagged all of them for himself or he reads red flag deals and was being helpful. So don't bother here for now.

Buddy checked Sources, they have some in the stock room! Friend bought me one and he's got one too. THANKS OP! inmyturret you rock!
First it took me 10 minutes to find the gps display which did not have the Curtis on it, but then when I went to the automotive desk and was going to ask the clerk to check the computer for inventory, I saw a Curtis box sitting on the desk with a $120 price tag. I took the box to a scanner which showed $48. I then asked for a stock check and was told they had many "in the back". I bought 3 :)

Thanks OP
Nov 26, 2002
642 posts
81 upvotes
ken0042 wrote: ^^ I don't suppose they gave you an inventory number did they?
I used the number posted previously in this thread. Sorry can't see it now. It's there look for it.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
hempopotamus wrote: I used the number posted previously in this thread. Sorry can't see it now. It's there look for it.
Exactly, just tell them to check the computer for Curtis GPS GPD359.

Update: Stupid computer wouldn't detect the unit, the default on the Curtis GPS is MASS STORAGE device and not Microsoft Active Sync. You got to go into the System Settings of the GPS in order for Windows to see the unit in Active Sync or Mobile Center.

JeeZues, lol...I'm a bobo, sorry I mis understood what you wrote. It's so strange clicking NAVIGATION and then getting into the Windows desktop but it works! ha ha!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)