Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 7, 2012
28 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver

Custom Charges on Replacements

Recently i had a tripod that stopped working and i am still under manufacture warranty and they are gonna send me a replacement but charging me $85 extra cause they are upgrading me to newer model. So my question is would i be getting custom charges when i receive it since its a replacemtn? Its gonna be shipped from California to BC with DHL.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
You might get charged. My recommendation is you keep the proof that you shipped back the old one and that you're paying $85 here to get the replacement. If you get charged, you can file a form B2G with the government to get it adjusted.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
[OP]
Aug 7, 2012
28 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 9:35 pm
You might get charged. My recommendation is you keep the proof that you shipped back the old one and that you're paying $85 here to get the replacement. If you get charged, you can file a form B2G with the government to get it adjusted.
if i do get charged do u know how much roughly?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
ufcdeals wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 9:43 pm
if i do get charged do u know how much roughly?
I cannot predict because there are too many variables in how they will declare it. Worst case it will be sales tax plus brokerage. Last I heard, DHL brokerage charges 2.5% of the shipment's value or $7, whichever is greater.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2545 posts
1569 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ufcdeals wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 8:58 pm
Recently i had a tripod that stopped working and i am still under manufacture warranty and they are gonna send me a replacement but charging me $85 extra cause they are upgrading me to newer model. So my question is would i be getting custom charges when i receive it since its a replacemtn? Its gonna be shipped from California to BC with DHL.
You are eligible for taxes and/or duties because it is not specifically a replacement, though the amount - I suspect - would be based on the $85 only, as long is that is the amount shown on any invoice contained with the item.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16423 posts
8754 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ufcdeals wrote:
Ask the tripod seller to indicate on their customs invoice that this is a warranty replacement and that the $85 is an upgrade charge. That way you'll only be charged duty/taxes only on the $85 (plus DHL's brokerage fees) rather than on the full value of the tripod. Or you may get lucky and the package will clear with no charges.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4298 upvotes
ufcdeals wrote:
Its gonna be shipped from California to BC with DHL.

definitely
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12591 posts
1958 upvotes
City of Vancouver
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 0-eng.html

Replacement Goods

23. Where a replacement good is provided to a customer rather than repairing the original good, the replacement good is classified under Chapters 1 to 97 of the Customs Tariff and full customs duties are owing. The importation of the replacement good is generally subject to GST/HST, unless the conditions of section 5 of Schedule VII to the Excise Tax Act are met.

24. GST/HST relief under section 5 is available whether the warranty relates to tangible personal property or to property that has been incorporated into real property.

25. Where the conditions of section 5 are met, GST/HST Tax Status Code 55 is entered in field 35. The invoice or written statement from the non-resident supplier must provide the value of the replacement good even where there is no charge to the importer.

Additional information

26. For clarification of any tax issues associated with this memorandum, please contact:

Manager
Border Issues Unit
General Operations and Border Issues Division
Excise GST/HST Rulings Directorate
Policy and Planning Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
Place de Ville, Tower “A”, 15th floor
320 Queen Street
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5

Telephone: (613) 952-8810
Facsimile: (613) 992-1233
De gustibus non est disputandum