• Mar 21st, 2011 9:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 29, 2010
6 posts
Markham

Customs fees - Urban Outfitters online?

I was wondering if anyone here could offer an opinion based on experience on approximately how much of a customs fee would I need to pay, (if at all) for a ~$150 order from UO ($150+ free usps shipping to Canada). $20 perhaps?

Generally, would having it marked 'gift' make much of a difference? Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4004 posts
86 upvotes
Well, I doubt a major retailer is going to make a fradulant customs declaration for you.

You'll most likely pay GST/PST, plus the approx $5 handling fee, and possibly duty depending on the item, where it's made, and the phase of the moon.
Jan 17, 2010
954 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Customs might get a bit suspicious of a package marked "gift" coming from Urban Outfitters :|
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
Articles of clothing are usually 16-18%
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4901 posts
825 upvotes
BC
f5371p wrote:
Jun 30th, 2010 8:35 pm
... ($150+ free usps shipping to Canada). $20 perhaps?
The only customs "fee" you are likely to pay is Canada Post's $5 for collecting about $20 in taxes from you.
Possibly another $30 in duty but hopefully not.
(Fees are something that you can often minimize or negotiate completely away, while taxes and duty are not discretionary.)

In this instance, you might have been better opting for their pre-paid UPS deal at $20.

You won't know until it gets delivered - either nothing to pay, about $25, or about $55.

Do you like gambling, or are you more comfortable knowing your position ahead of time?

Take your pick.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10142 posts
1700 upvotes
Kingston
macnut wrote:
Jul 1st, 2010 3:15 am
The only customs "fee" you are likely to pay is Canada Post's $5 for collecting about $20 in taxes from you.
Possibly another $30 in duty but hopefully not.
(Fees are something that you can often minimize or negotiate completely away, while taxes and duty are not discretionary.)

In this instance, you might have been better opting for their pre-paid UPS deal at $20.
+1 on the math in the first paragraph. I don't know if I've every been charged duties when USPS and Canada Post handle it but it is YMMV. I think your chances are pretty good to not be charged with a small order like that.

But opting for pre-paid UPS only replaces Canada Post's $5 fee with a $20+ fee. It doesn't avoid/replace taxes or duties. I'd guess it would increase the likelihood of duty because UPS would have to be more worried about doing things right than a gov't agency.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4901 posts
825 upvotes
BC
JWL wrote:
Jul 1st, 2010 9:31 am
... But opting for pre-paid UPS only replaces Canada Post's $5 fee with a $20+ fee. It doesn't avoid/replace taxes or duties.
UO's shipping policy does say that their UPS rates are inclusive of shipping, taxes and duty.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/help/canada.jsp

Seems too good to be true, $20 for a $150+ order, but I guess UO is covering it in their profit margin on larger purchases.

No question that for an order under $150 with UO, USPS is clearly the way to go.

Over $150, I would lean toward the UPS option for speed, tracking and certainty of total cost.

(Because out this way, we appear more likely to get assessed taxes on USPS packages over the $20 threshold.
Relatively smaller mail volume, more time available to do customs processing.)
May 31, 2007
347 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
The shipping cost have gone up to $20 for economy, $40 for standard, and $60 for express including duty. Just wondering if anyone is interested in splitting the shipping cost ($60 one) as some items are available online only.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10142 posts
1700 upvotes
Kingston
macnut wrote:
Jul 1st, 2010 10:13 am
UO's shipping policy does say that their UPS rates are inclusive of shipping, taxes and duty.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/help/canada.jsp
That's not the way I read the info in the link you provided. From the page you sent the link to:

Will I have to pay any taxes and duties for my order?

Orders shipped via Express will not incur duties and taxes at delivery. These fees are included in your online shipping total

International orders, shipped via Standard or Economy, can incur duties and taxes. Duties and taxes are determined by the customs agency within the destination country. Although charges are not always incurred, assessment of duties and taxes will be based on the value of the order and the Tax-free threshold, if it exists, for goods imported into the destination country. Payment of any duties and taxes is the responsibility of the recipient, and these fees are collected at the time of delivery. More information can be obtained by contacting your local customs office.
× < >