[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2032 posts
506 upvotes
Montreal

Customs fees when importing tires

Hi,

I would like to import tires from the USA.

I would get them shipped to a drop off location near the border in the USA, then pick them up from there and bring them back to Canada.

My question is are there duties, fees, ... Over the usual taxes I would have to pay.

I would expect to pay the federal and provincial taxes on the price I paid for the tires, but are there other fees? Does the country in which the tires were manufactured make a difference?

Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
Technically, there could be duty and/or other frees

If the country of manufacture for the tires is outside of NATA then you could be charge duty. Phone Customs and they will tell you the rate,

Practically, however, I've brought lots of stuff back from the States and have never been charged duty on any of it.

The only other fee that might be charged is if your province has a tire levy. CBSA might charge you that as well.
Banned
Mar 12, 2008
302 posts
2 upvotes
tirerack in the usa seems to charge 6 percent duty on all their sales to canadians. i assume they just keep the money because customs hardly ever charges duty
Banned
Mar 12, 2008
302 posts
2 upvotes
AMD wrote:
May 15th, 2008 4:00 pm
Hi,

I would like to import tires from the USA.

I would get them shipped to a drop off location near the border in the USA, then pick them up from there and bring them back to Canada.

My question is are there duties, fees, ... Over the usual taxes I would have to pay.

I would expect to pay the federal and provincial taxes on the price I paid for the tires, but are there other fees? Does the country in which the tires were manufactured make a difference?

Thanks.
you can deliver the tires to ups customer service center or a usa garage that will install for you.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
mistake wrote:
May 15th, 2008 7:40 pm
you can deliver the tires to ups customer service center or a usa garage that will install for you.
And you will still have to pay duties and/or taxes since it was still a purchase. Just because you're using or wearing it when you cross the border doesn't mean you're exempt.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2032 posts
506 upvotes
Montreal
Hi,

I am planning to order tires from tirerack.com and have them delivered to freeportforwarding.com (right across the border, not far from Montreal).

I am planning to buy 8 tires, so I wouldn't be able to just install them on the car and pretend they were on the car before crossing the border!

I'll try and find where the tires I want are made. Don't know where I could find that though!

Thanks for your answers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
:arrowu: Phone the manufacturer / US Distributor and ask them
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2032 posts
506 upvotes
Montreal
Ok well they are made in Japan.

So I guess worst case is I'll have to pay 6% duty, which is still not bad considering the price in the US is so much lower than in Canada.
Banned
Mar 12, 2008
302 posts
2 upvotes
AMD wrote:
May 16th, 2008 7:19 am
Ok well they are made in Japan.

So I guess worst case is I'll have to pay 6% duty, which is still not bad considering the price in the US is so much lower than in Canada.
my auto parts were japanese and did not incur duty. went through customs via fedex broker. only paid gst and pst.