Off Topic Archive

Locked: Cut "it" to reduce two third of potential HIV infections!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2005 9:47 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
5360 posts
6 upvotes
Nanaimo

Cut "it" to reduce two third of potential HIV infections!

July 26, 2005 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) -- Circumcision may protect against infection with the virus that causes AIDS.

In a study of more than 3,000 young men, those who were circumcised were 65% less likely to be infected with HIV compared with those who were not circumcised.

"Circumcision prevented 6 to 7 out of 10 potential HIV infections," says researcher Bertran Auvert, MD, MPH, professor of public health at the University of Versailles-Saint Quentin in France.

Circumcision was so effective at preventing HIV transmission that the trial was stopped early so that all the young men in the study could be offered the procedure, he tells WebMD.

The study included 3,128 uncircumcised young men aged 18 to 24 in a rural area outside of Johannesburg, South Africa. The men were randomly assigned either to undergo the procedure or remain uncircumcised. All the men were heterosexual.

By about 1 1/2 years later, 51 men who had not been circumcised had been infected with HIV, compared with only 18 who had the procedure, the study showed.

The findings were presented at a meeting of the International AIDS Society.
http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/109/109187.htm
Share:
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4396 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Uh, anyone find the conclusions drawn from the study and the results a little bit flawed? Frankly, I'm finding the figure of 69 of 3000 getting HIV within 1.5 years a little frightening. . . Roughly a 2.5 hit in that short a time?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
3774 posts
45 upvotes
wouldnt it hurt for all thoose people that are old now :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
8969 posts
1079 upvotes
(604)
Cutting it also cuts down on urinary tract infections, too, I think.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
5360 posts
6 upvotes
Nanaimo
Becks wrote:Cutting it also cuts down on urinary tract infections, too, I think.
Yes, cutting it does help reducing UTI and many other minor transmittable diseases but the most benefit is from preventing penil &...cervical cancers beside HIV infection.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
5360 posts
6 upvotes
Nanaimo
Jokez Guy wrote:wouldnt it hurt for all thoose people that are old now :twisted:
It's not that hurt. After surgery you don't feel hurt either. Just be careful don't expand it when not allowed yet. It hurts when expanding too early.
Anyway, babies and boys/men have the same pain tolerance level, I believe.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
GVRD
By about 1 1/2 years later, 51 men who had not been circumcised had been infected with HIV, compared with only 18 who had the procedure, the study showed.

this is the most flawed statistical study I have ever read.

how do you know that the "51 men" uncircumcised were not engaging in high risk sex? And how do they know the "18 men" circumcised weren't having sex with non-hiv people?

the only way to test the hypothesis is have hiv negative men who are both circumcised and uncircumcised have intercourse with a test group of women who are HIV positive.

Otherwise this study has more holes that swiss cheese.

the man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will receive either - benjamin franklin
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2020 posts
40 upvotes
Uh, what's wrong with a condom?

Jim
Banned
Jul 25, 2005
240 posts
JimG wrote:Uh, what's wrong with a condom?
Guess you've never used one! :lol:
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
itsyours wrote:Yes, cutting it does help reducing UTI and many other minor transmittable diseases but the most benefit is from preventing penil &...cervical cancers beside HIV infection.

Don't you mean, reduce the chances of cancer? Circumcision is really a personal choice, and anyone with good hygenes shouldn't worry too much.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
3914 posts
40 upvotes
Austin/Markham
you;d need a heck of a better study than this to justify circumcision, maybe the ones circumsized arent getting laid? :lol:
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8644 posts
547 upvotes
lol.. what a joke

Maybe there was only one HIV infected female and she did all those guys.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3812 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
Jesus, it's not like they all had the same partner. This is so flawed.
× < >