Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR

CW's Riverdale

Not sure if anyone here pays attention to Archie comics but in the past decade, they have been probably to most forward thinking mainstream comics with a number of great changes. Now, we will be getting a live action TV series from the producer of Arrow, Flash and Supergirl.
http://tvline.com/2015/11/05/archie-tv- ... haracters/

Update
Synopsis wrote: As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom, and nothing feels the same. Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer's events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music -- not follow in his dad's footsteps--despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale's young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel). Which means Archie doesn't have anyone who will mentor him -- certainly not singer Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats.

It's all weighing heavily on Archie's mind -- as is his fractured friendship with budding writer and fellow classmate Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse). Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she's not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty's nerves -- which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice (Mädchen Amick) aren't the only thing holding her back. When a new student, Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), arrives in town from New York with her mother Hermione (Marisol Nichols), there's an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn't want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for Archie.

And then there's Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch)... Riverdale's Queen Bee is happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason? Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows... Based on the characters from Archie Comics, RIVERDALE is from Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, in association with Berlanti Productions, with executive producers Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa ("Supergirl," "Glee"), Greg Berlanti ("Arrow," "The Flash," "Supergirl," "DC's Legends of Tomorrow"), Sarah Schechter ("Arrow," "The Flash," "Supergirl," "DC's Legends of Tomorrow") and Jon Goldwater (Archie Comics).
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
88 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I liked Archie comics when I was a kid, and I like the current comic book tv shows, but this really doesn't interest me.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
zod wrote: I liked Archie comics when I was a kid, and I like the current comic book tv shows, but this really doesn't interest me.
The new rebooted "All New Archie" comic is quite good.
http://kotaku.com/i-can-t-believe-this- ... 1716495839
Mark Waid and Fiona Staples—the writer of a phenomenal stretch of Daredevil and the artist for the hit series Saga—are the core of the creative team for Archie #1, rounded out by colorists Andre Szymanowicz and Jen Vaughn, and letterer Jack Morelli.
And Jughead is the cool one this time around.

This new TV series seem to take its cue from the new reboot and that's a good thing. I hope it comes together well.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I guess I'm finding there's so much quality shows to watch now, that I'm a little more picky on the ones I watch. As Archie isn't a superhero, then it becomes a high school'er story? Not really my cup of tea, regardless of who is cool. It's on the CW though, so whoever whats to watch it will be able to. CW is awesome. They're bar for cancelling shows is way lower than the major networks. Shows I like (Arrow, The Flash, Supernatural) would of most likely never survived the major networks.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
ARCHIE COMICS-BASED SERIES "RIVERDALE" GETS PILOT ORDER AT THE CW
After months of speculation and two years of development, the Archie Comics-based series "Riverdale" has officially received a pilot order at The CW.

According to Deadline, "Riverdale" will be a subversive look at Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead's life in their small town. It will be set in the present day and will take on the subjects of secrets, scandals, and teen drama. "Riverdale's" creator, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, said that he drew inspiration from darker teen novels like "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and "The Virgin Suicides."

Casting is already underway for the series, which includes a self-esteem riddled Betty Cooper, a buff and flirtatious Archie Andrews, a brilliant Latina Veronica Lodge, and an emo-heartthrob Jughead Jones.

While a pilot order doesn't guarantee the show will get a full series, judging from executive producer Greg Berlanti's current track record, the odds are high it could get picked up. Aguirre-Sacasa also said at San Diego Comic Con last year that his partnership with the CW "is a great match."

"Riverdale" is written and executive produced by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, and is co-produced by Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
"Riverdale has cast two of its four main characters. Lili Reinhart (Surviving Jack) is set to play Betty Cooper, while former Disney Channel star Cole Sprouse (The Suite Life Of Zack & Cody) will play Jughead Jones in the CW pilot based on Archie Comics."
http://deadline.com/2016/02/riverdale-b ... 201699204/
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
First images of Riverdale's filming in Vancouver. Maybe they'll do something unprecedented and crossover with CW's other comic shows in the Arrowverse.
http://www.justjaredjr.com/2016/03/19/c ... vancouver/

R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Things are looking up.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ies-889075
After renewing nearly its entire scripted lineup (save for late bow Containment), The CW doesn't have much room on its schedule. But of the network's six pilots, another Greg Berlanti comic book show has emerged as the top dog. Riverdale, a present-day take on the iconic Archie Comics, is considered a lock to join Berlanti's Arrow, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow at the younger-skewing network.
I assume it's also easier and cheaper sharing production costs with the other CW shows in the Vancouver area.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Cast pic.

Synopsis wrote: As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom, and nothing feels the same. Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer's events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music -- not follow in his dad's footsteps--despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale's young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel). Which means Archie doesn't have anyone who will mentor him -- certainly not singer Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats.

It's all weighing heavily on Archie's mind -- as is his fractured friendship with budding writer and fellow classmate Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse). Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she's not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty's nerves -- which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice (Mädchen Amick) aren't the only thing holding her back. When a new student, Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), arrives in town from New York with her mother Hermione (Marisol Nichols), there's an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn't want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for Archie.

And then there's Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch)... Riverdale's Queen Bee is happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason? Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows... Based on the characters from Archie Comics, RIVERDALE is from Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, in association with Berlanti Productions, with executive producers Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa ("Supergirl," "Glee"), Greg Berlanti ("Arrow," "The Flash," "Supergirl," "DC's Legends of Tomorrow"), Sarah Schechter ("Arrow," "The Flash," "Supergirl," "DC's Legends of Tomorrow") and Jon Goldwater (Archie Comics).
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
Did you read the synopsis of the show?

Archie has an intimiate affair with Miss Grundy. WTF. I guess they're making her younger, but geez, that's weird. She's like 60+ in the comics....
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
sharpshooter88 wrote: Did you read the synopsis of the show?

Archie has an intimiate affair with Miss Grundy. WTF. I guess they're making her younger, but geez, that's weird. She's like 60+ in the comics....
Well, Miss Grundy is 33 year old actress Sarah Habel.

Younger Aunt May, younger Miss Grundy... Why not?

Updated that post with the synopsis.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Nov 15, 2004
495 posts
233 upvotes
Ugh! Sounds absolutely terrible and would be a disservice to what Archie is all about. This takes the innocence and wholesomeness that I associate with the comics and turns it into sleazy sexified trash. I get that sex sells but please leave Archie alone.

Edit. I have nothing against the synopsis itself. In fact, it is intriguing and will likely still tune in to watch. I am more against using Riverdale/Archieverse as the backdrop and inspiration. Would have preferred original characters/settings.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Probably cheap to produce, but Archie on TV just becomes another TV teen drama. Change the character names, and would you be able to tell?

Plot synopsis sounds like CW (WB) oldie Dawson's Creek.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
So, if this sells will they do the horror comic version of Sabrina as well?

Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12785 upvotes
Toronto
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Definitely not your daddy's Archie.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR

So Jason buys it right at the start.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Premieres today on Netflix Canada...

New TV series Riverdale shows the Archie gang like you’ve never seen them
Lili Reinhart, who plays Betty, talks about series’ darker take on Archie Comics characters, premiering Jan. 27.
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/t ... -them.html
In the town of Riverdale, Archie Andrews is brawnier than Moose Mason. Jughead is a cynic. Veronica has lost all her money. And Betty has serious mental health issues. And yes, there is a dead body.

This is not your father’s Archie Andrews. But the highly anticipated CW series, which premieres on Netflix Canada Jan. 27, is a glimpse into an alternate Archie universe — a kind of Dawson’s Creek via Twin Peaks. And standing in for Riverdale is the town of Langley, B.C.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the show is produced by Greg Berlanti, the showrunner of teen soap opera Dawson’s Creek, along with Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Archie Entertainment’s chief creative officer.

Riverdale stars New Zealander K.J. Apa as Archie, Cole Sprouse as Jughead, Camilla Mendes as Veronica and Luke Perry as Archie’s father, Fred Andrews.

The Star spoke with Cleveland, Ohio-born actress Lili Reinhart, who plays Betty, about the darker, more adult vision for the show.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26211 posts
39761 upvotes
Toronto
Had fun at the Archive party last night in Toronto. Show is definitely darker than the comics of my youth. Incest, murder, and more. Episode 1 available now on Canadian Netflix.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities