• Oct 12th, 2017 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
sprung wrote: Had fun at the Archive party last night in Toronto. Show is definitely darker than the comics of my youth. Incest, murder, and more. Episode 1 available now on Canadian Netflix.
In the past decade or so, Archie comics have done some darker series as well and have pushed some pretty good narratives. The show pulls from some of those it looks like.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
one of the better premieres...i think im hooked for now.
Nov 15, 2004
495 posts
233 upvotes
^ LOL I do remember watching that trailer years ago.

If this were a completely original series with original characters and settings, I would've said it this was a good premiere episode. However I'm having a lot of difficulty getting past the liberties it takes compared to the original comics. It feels like it's tarnishing the innocence of what Archie used to be even though I realize that some recent storylines are a indeed darker. What I did like was the ethnic diversity in casting and the interesting over"arch"ing mystery and will likely follow this series just to see where it goes. It gives off a vibe like "The Killing".
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
doubloonie wrote: If this were a completely original series with original characters and settings, I would've said it this was a good premiere episode. However I'm having a lot of difficulty getting past the liberties it takes compared to the original comics. It feels like it's tarnishing the innocence of what Archie used to be even though I realize that some recent storylines are a indeed darker. What I did like was the ethnic diversity in casting and the interesting over"arch"ing mystery and will likely follow this series just to see where it goes. It gives off a vibe like "The Killing".
An interesting take on this series...

The CW's Riverdale is the most sense the Archie series has made in more than a decade
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/27/14373 ... -cw-review
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6571 upvotes
Vaughan
First episode was sooo good! These weekly release series are silly though. Need to binge! :D
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
It's cheesy but I'm hooked. Boo to not giving us the whole series at once.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1211 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote: First episode was sooo good! These weekly release series are silly though. Need to binge! :D
Totally agree. Just give us the whole series ! The show was actually pretty good. Hope it stays that way.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
I loved the comics but I'm not digging this show yet. None of the parents are together, Polly's in the nut house, Mrs. Cooper is an unsupportive mom (and crazy), Josie's a bitch....Ugh. and Jughead and Archie aren't best friends anymore??? They really took liberties with the characters I grew up with. The only bright spot is Betty, I really like the actress and she plays the wholesome Betty character perfectly.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1211 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
sharpshooter88 wrote: The only bright spot is Betty, I really like the actress and she plays the wholesome Betty character perfectly.
Lol! Watch the 3rd and latest episode Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Happy Valentine's Day

Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
I was on Vulture commenting on how many of the people I know (Boomers all) dislike the show. Someone piped up they loved it. I wanted to rebut the person but Vulture locked out my account. All the other people I talked to who have viewed at least the first episode or two consider it virtually unwatchable. We are all in the late 50s to late 60s age group and grew up on the old comics. My bud who regularly writes to people like Ron Dante (of The Archie's fame) and who is a musician himself says it's terrible with poor music. I guess it's not for our age group.

Still holding out for the horror version of Sabrina though...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
^ i dont think its meant to be for your age group... its meant to be more for people in their 20s, imo... people that grew up knowing of the comics, but not too much about them... i am in that category where i knew the main characters but not much more... i am a little out of my 20s, but i have enjoyed the first 4 episodes so far..
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
grappos13 wrote: ^ i dont think its meant to be for your age group... its meant to be more for people in their 20s, imo... people that grew up knowing of the comics, but not too much about them... i am in that category where i knew the main characters but not much more... i am a little out of my 20s, but i have enjoyed the first 4 episodes so far..
Probably why I also don't read the current run of comics though I did enjoy the "Married" issues of a few years back. The horror line is good as well. Sabrina is very well done but the last issue came out in August of last year and had to be re solicited. Dunno what happened there. Get the trade paperback if you can and the issue after that (the last one) with the origin of Salem The Cat...
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
And it looks like Jughead is not asexual either. Boo.
Other than sharing the same names as the comics, this is nothing like the Archie universe that we grew up with.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote: And it looks like Jughead is not asexual either. Boo.
Other than sharing the same names as the comics, this is nothing like the Archie universe that we grew up with.
In the current comics Jughead's girlfriend is Sabrina's!

I wonder if they will ever mention Jughead's birth name?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
zod wrote: I liked Archie comics when I was a kid, and I like the current comic book tv shows, but this really doesn't interest me.
Don't be a Jughead

Don't you want to see Veronica and Betty chasing Archie?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
DougO wrote: In the current comics Jughead's girlfriend is Sabrina's!
Really? I'm guessing this is in mature some spin off comic line? Or is it part of the regular comics? I grew up with the Jughead that only had eyes for burgers. :)
Baaaaaaaaa!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)