shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25655 posts
5834 upvotes
GTHA
Premieres today on Netflix Canada...

New TV series Riverdale shows the Archie gang like you’ve never seen them
Lili Reinhart, who plays Betty, talks about series’ darker take on Archie Comics characters, premiering Jan. 27.
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/t ... -them.html
In the town of Riverdale, Archie Andrews is brawnier than Moose Mason. Jughead is a cynic. Veronica has lost all her money. And Betty has serious mental health issues. And yes, there is a dead body.

This is not your father’s Archie Andrews. But the highly anticipated CW series, which premieres on Netflix Canada Jan. 27, is a glimpse into an alternate Archie universe — a kind of Dawson’s Creek via Twin Peaks. And standing in for Riverdale is the town of Langley, B.C.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the show is produced by Greg Berlanti, the showrunner of teen soap opera Dawson’s Creek, along with Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Archie Entertainment’s chief creative officer.

Riverdale stars New Zealander K.J. Apa as Archie, Cole Sprouse as Jughead, Camilla Mendes as Veronica and Luke Perry as Archie’s father, Fred Andrews.

The Star spoke with Cleveland, Ohio-born actress Lili Reinhart, who plays Betty, about the darker, more adult vision for the show.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13387 posts
8877 upvotes
Toronto
Had fun at the Archive party last night in Toronto. Show is definitely darker than the comics of my youth. Incest, murder, and more. Episode 1 available now on Canadian Netflix.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17630 posts
1286 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 10:55 am
Had fun at the Archive party last night in Toronto. Show is definitely darker than the comics of my youth. Incest, murder, and more. Episode 1 available now on Canadian Netflix.
In the past decade or so, Archie comics have done some darker series as well and have pushed some pretty good narratives. The show pulls from some of those it looks like.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23339 posts
1083 upvotes
Markham, ON
one of the better premieres...i think im hooked for now.
Nov 15, 2004
398 posts
76 upvotes
^ LOL I do remember watching that trailer years ago.

If this were a completely original series with original characters and settings, I would've said it this was a good premiere episode. However I'm having a lot of difficulty getting past the liberties it takes compared to the original comics. It feels like it's tarnishing the innocence of what Archie used to be even though I realize that some recent storylines are a indeed darker. What I did like was the ethnic diversity in casting and the interesting over"arch"ing mystery and will likely follow this series just to see where it goes. It gives off a vibe like "The Killing".
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25655 posts
5834 upvotes
GTHA
doubloonie wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 5:22 pm
If this were a completely original series with original characters and settings, I would've said it this was a good premiere episode. However I'm having a lot of difficulty getting past the liberties it takes compared to the original comics. It feels like it's tarnishing the innocence of what Archie used to be even though I realize that some recent storylines are a indeed darker. What I did like was the ethnic diversity in casting and the interesting over"arch"ing mystery and will likely follow this series just to see where it goes. It gives off a vibe like "The Killing".
An interesting take on this series...

The CW's Riverdale is the most sense the Archie series has made in more than a decade
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/27/14373 ... -cw-review
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4695 posts
885 upvotes
Mississauga
First episode was sooo good! These weekly release series are silly though. Need to binge! :D
Sep 30, 2001
26295 posts
5381 upvotes
Toronto
It's cheesy but I'm hooked. Boo to not giving us the whole series at once.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1017 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 12:09 pm
First episode was sooo good! These weekly release series are silly though. Need to binge! :D
Totally agree. Just give us the whole series ! The show was actually pretty good. Hope it stays that way.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1168 posts
161 upvotes
I loved the comics but I'm not digging this show yet. None of the parents are together, Polly's in the nut house, Mrs. Cooper is an unsupportive mom (and crazy), Josie's a bitch....Ugh. and Jughead and Archie aren't best friends anymore??? They really took liberties with the characters I grew up with. The only bright spot is Betty, I really like the actress and she plays the wholesome Betty character perfectly.
Baaaaaaaaa!