Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] D-Link Wireless N300 Router (DIR-615) $24.99 + tax + free ship!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2014 5:35 am
Tags:
None
Feb 24, 2003
348 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] D-Link Wireless N300 Router (DIR-615) $24.99 + tax + free ship!

BestBuy link to Dlink N300 (DIR-615)

It may not be the greatest device, but for $24.99(!) it would make a great wifi repeater in your home. A repeater can extend your existing wifi coverage if there is poor reception areas in your home.

Looks like DD-WRT supports this device. I plan to follow rayman575's post on this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

The steps to install DD-WRT and configure it to run it as a repeater might be a challenge for beginners. I recommend reading the forum post (above) and judging if you feel confident. If so, it sounds like a cheap way to improve your home network!

EDIT: according to the forum post (above), some hardware revisions of this router might not be supported by DD-WRT (yet). So, YMMV. I'm still going to order mine and take a chance I can install DD-WRT.

EDIT: using this router with the stock firmware is NOT RECOMMENDED. Bad reviews regarding stability and reliability. General consensus seems to be that DD-WRT will fix these problems and make the router pretty good for use as a Repeater.

EDIT: nanodollars says: Ordered online and received the next day. For those who care, it is H/W rev I1. I installed dd-wrt without a hitch but have not tested...

EDIT: I also received H/W rev I1. This is probably the right firmware for me: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSl ... -dir615i1/
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
1518 posts
104 upvotes
Reading the reviews people complain that it auto reboots and disconnects .
Dec 28, 2006
572 posts
239 upvotes
kid3 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 1:38 pm
Reading the reviews people complain that it auto reboots and disconnects .
It should work fine with the DD-WRT firmware. I got one last week end and was struggling with it for couple nights, even with the DD-WRT firmware. Finally, the problem was resolved by uninstalling the Realtek wireless adapter driver. Mine was E3 version. One thing that you should be aware using the DD-WRT firmware, this router is picky about the size of the firmware. You may have to add or subtract using a hex editor to the firmware bin file in order to do the firmware upgrade.
Sep 22, 2010
181 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
stay away from this router. spend $30 more to get a better brand name router.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2205 posts
275 upvotes
Edmonton
The worst piece of crap D-Link ever produced. I owned it and after struggling with it for several months sold it on kijiji.

It disconnects for no apparent reason. Goes into sleep mode every now and then requiring hard reboots every few days.

Stay clear of this router. Not sure why it is still in production. It should have been killed long time ago.

Princess Auto is selling the Cisco Valetplus (M20) for $39.99 BNIB. Has almost all the bells and whistles of newer midrange routers. Only negatives if you care are no USB port and no dual band. Other than that its great and if you don't like it you can always return at PA anytime no questions asked.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2003
348 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
> It disconnects for no apparent reason. Goes into sleep mode every now and then requiring hard reboots every few days.

Did you flash it with DD-WRT?

I agree: I wouldn't run the stock firmware on this thing. But it's my understanding the DD-WRT fixes the reliability issues. IOW: the hardware is good.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
4685 posts
1007 upvotes
Montreal
bitbrain wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 2:42 pm
> It disconnects for no apparent reason. Goes into sleep mode every now and then requiring hard reboots every few days.

Did you flash it with DD-WRT?

I agree: I wouldn't run the stock firmware on this thing. But it's my understanding the DD-WRT fixes the reliability issues. IOW: the hardware is good.
I have the DIR-601 (N150), I guess it's even worst than this crap.
Yeah I hate my router. It does disconnect a lot, I can see it while playing games like Starcraft (always disconnect from battle.net)
Can I use this said DD-WRT to fix the DIR-601? And where do I acquire such firmware. I do even lift.
Sep 21, 2001
376 posts
100 upvotes
West end
I want a cheap tomato compatible router with USB. This does not qualify.
A vaincre sans p�ril, on triomphe sans gloire. Corneille.
To win without risk is a triumph without glory. Corneille.
Bernese Mountain Dogs rock!
[OP]
Feb 24, 2003
348 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Madevilz wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 2:48 pm
Yeah I hate my router. It does disconnect a lot, I can see it while playing games like Starcraft (always disconnect from battle.net)
Can I use this said DD-WRT to fix the DIR-601? And where do I acquire such firmware. I do even lift.
Use this info at your own risk!
http://www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/DIR-601
*confirmed to work only with hardware revision A
Feb 15, 2002
47 posts
revs at least up to i1 work fine and reliably with dd-wrt.

I have a rev e running 24/7 as a repeater. I think this is a good buy, thanks OP
Nov 5, 2007
900 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Madevilz wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 2:48 pm
I have the DIR-655. I guess its even worst than this crap. I need to flush dns 10-20 times each night using it, and worst mines cant event flash to dd-wrt... :facepalm:
Mar 19, 2006
775 posts
186 upvotes
bitbrain wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 12:44 pm
BestBuy link to Dlink N300 (DIR-615)

It may not be the greatest device, but for $24.99(!) it would make a great wifi repeater in your home. A repeater can extend your existing wifi coverage if there is poor reception areas in your home.

Looks like DD-WRT supports this device. I plan to follow rayman575's post on this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

The steps to install DD-WRT and configure it to run it as a repeater might be a challenge for beginners. I recommend reading the forum post (above) and judging if you feel confident. If so, it sounds like a cheap way to improve your home network!

EDIT: according to the forum post (above), some hardware revisions of this router might not be supported by DD-WRT (yet). So, YMMV. I'm still going to order mine and take a chance I can install DD-WRT.
Yep, I bought this too to install DD-wrt for its client-mode to improve the wireless connectivity of my PS3. And if the H/W rev. is not the right one, you can always return :-)
× < >