Art and Photography

D40 or XTi - help me decide

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2007 12:16 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which camera should I get?

• Total votes: 132. You have voted on this poll.
Nikon d40

48%
Canon digital rebel xti

52%
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2724 posts
37 upvotes
Eastern and NW Ontar…
Pourmeaguinness wrote: The second lens anyone with a dslr should buy is a fast portrait prime, say a 50 1.8 or 1.4.. guess what? It won't work on a d40..

What a waste.
I've never been interested in taking portraits, dont see a need for a prime for my uses and already own 2 lens for my D50. :confused:
Dell Alienware Aurora R8
Asus ROG 17"
Ipad Air 2
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
I spent the last 1.5 weeks doing my research and I'm leaning on a Canon 400D with 17-40mm "L" lens. This way should I ever dump the 400D in the future, I can still use my lens in a full frame setup. I'll also be getting a Canon 430EX flash for low light situations. The nice part is that I'll be able to reuse the flash on my Canon G9. I feel I have a somewhat versatile setup for my shooting needs.

I might pull the trigger on the setup in early December.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1269 posts
14 upvotes
London
drucillica wrote: Ok, I think I decided to go with the D40 after much thought and convincing from Najibs ;)

Thanks guys!
Awesome...finally ! haha...

All kidding aside, photography is about the photos...can't wait to see em !
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: I spent the last 1.5 weeks doing my research and I'm leaning on a Canon 400D with 17-40mm "L" lens. This way should I ever dump the 400D in the future, I can still use my lens in a full frame setup. I'll also be getting a Canon 430EX flash for low light situations. The nice part is that I'll be able to reuse the flash on my Canon G9. I feel I have a somewhat versatile setup for my shooting needs.

I might pull the trigger on the setup in early December.
The 17-40L will be pretty darn wide on a full-frame body. The 24-70L is a lot nicer (imo) but a little constricting on cropped body.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1269 posts
14 upvotes
London
KorruptioN wrote: The 17-40L will be pretty darn wide on a full-frame body. The 24-70L is a lot nicer (imo) but a little constricting on cropped body.
That's what I ended up deciding...went with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 instead. Love the lens and if I ever do end up going ff, I'll just sell here :)
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
KorruptioN wrote: The 17-40L will be pretty darn wide on a full-frame body. The 24-70L is a lot nicer (imo) but a little constricting on cropped body.
I was thinking of getting the 24-70mm L lens, but it's just way too expensive for what I intend to do. Not to mention that I need to save some money now in the event that I go to China next year. There's no point for me to blow away all my money now on camera gear and not able to travel around the country and take pictures.

I personally don't think 17mm is too wide. Besides, the XTI is using a 1.6x crop sensor so it's definitely not that wide. I might sell the lens later on, but the width would really help with landscape photography on a full frame camera. Hopefully the 5D's successor with a 24-105mm L IS lens would be under $3000 when it does come out since I can get a 5D+24-105mm "L" IS lens for under $3000.
Jun 17, 2003
685 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
drucillica wrote: Ok, I think I decided to go with the D40 after much thought and convincing from Najibs ;)

Thanks guys!

Congrats. I just got the D40X for Christmas and am thrilled with the quality of pictures. So clear and sharp. The ability to capture the exact instant you want with a DSLR is so nice - as opposed to point n shoots where you have to wait for the focus to grab and then you've missed it what you really wanted. Enjoy!

P.S. Got mine at Blacks - who price matched Aden Camera and gave me much better service than other stores I went to. Interesting also, they offer an extra one year warranty for $50 and it comes with a card for printing 200 digital images - worth about $50 in itself. Seemed worthwhile to me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)