• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 1:17 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
696 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto

Dairy Queen's Shameless Nickel & Diming Of Customers

So I went to this Dairy Queen way out in the Lakeshore st W area in Mississauga, I think it was around Lakeshore W and Erin Mills. I asked for a Sundae and the girl gives it to me but without crushed peanuts. I asked her about the crushed peanuts and she says she has them "at the back". She goes to get it while another young girl at the cash machine asks me if I have "50 cents". I gave her 50 cents thinking that she wanted me to lend her change to give to the other customer ordering. I get my peanuts and stand there waiting for my change and when I didn't get asked for it. The girl then tells me its 50 cents extra for the peanuts. Are you kidding me? McDonald's gives me 2 bags of crushed peanuts at no extra cost, the way it should be (not that I ever take 2 bags, 1 is enough).

That's the last time I'm buying a sundae from DQ.
39 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3237 posts
1122 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
That's nuts!
Jul 6, 2008
773 posts
172 upvotes
London
Time to avoid Dairy Queen

Or go to McDonalds first, get 2 packs of peanuts for free... then drive to DQ like a true RFD member
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13480 posts
2248 upvotes
Toronto
Dairy queen does not have enough locations anyway.
What a great scam. Does it at least mention on the menu what the "extras" are?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21876 posts
6899 upvotes
Toronto
YOu should have given the sundae back and get your refund
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
696 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:41 pm
Dairy queen does not have enough locations anyway.
What a great scam. Does it at least mention on the menu what the "extras" are?
I don't know if it mentions it or not, but DQ is off my list just like all those fish n' chips restaurants that charge extra for coleslaw, something that should be included with the meal.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3010 posts
259 upvotes
Not sure what there is to complain about, the basic sundaes at DQ have always come with just sauce, any extra toppings are...extra. It's certainly not a scam, you're adding something that does not come included with the item you ordered, you should expect you may have to pay extra when you ask for additional toppings.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1587 posts
632 upvotes
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:04 pm
So I went to this Dairy Queen way out in the Lakeshore st W area in Mississauga, I think it was around Lakeshore W and Erin Mills. I asked for a Sundae and the girl gives it to me but without crushed peanuts. I asked her about the crushed peanuts and she says she has them "at the back". She goes to get it while another young girl at the cash machine asks me if I have "50 cents". I gave her 50 cents thinking that she wanted me to lend her change to give to the other customer ordering. I get my peanuts and stand there waiting for my change and when I didn't get asked for it. The girl then tells me its 50 cents extra for the peanuts. Are you kidding me? McDonald's gives me 2 bags of crushed peanuts at no extra cost, the way it should be (not that I ever take 2 bags, 1 is enough).

The location I went to, tried to charge me a $1 when I asked. This was the sundae that was included with their $6 meal deal though. I got the nuts free before that, I guess it was someone new.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8901 posts
878 upvotes
I thought sundaes included toppings too? At least something more than just sauce on top.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5728 posts
2915 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
jerrysiz wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 7:05 pm
Not sure what there is to complain about, the basic sundaes at DQ have always come with just sauce, any extra toppings are...extra. It's certainly not a scam, you're adding something that does not come included with the item you ordered, you should expect you may have to pay extra when you ask for additional toppings.
Exactly, and honestly I always chuck out those bags of peanuts with the McDonald's ones. I don't care for them on a sundae. I do like a Peanut Buster Parfait once in a while though:)

DQ never had peanuts on their sundae (unless I guess that was part of the "flavour"). My favorite DQ Sunday growing up in the 1970s was Butter Pecan (I don't think they offer this one anymore which is a shame), followed by Strawberry. Neither of which had peanuts - ever.
Dec 2, 2008
57 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know the answer...but isn't the sundae with the peanuts the peanut buster parfait? Isn't that the reason why they charged extra for the peanuts? Is it because it's being changed from a sundae with no toppings to the peanut buster parfait which is just a sundae with peanuts? To the employee, asking for peanuts would mean up scaling to the more expensive sundae?

I know mcdonalds throws them in a bag but I always thought adding peanuts from a regular sundae at DQ was asking for the buster parfait and it cost more as a menu item.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39444 posts
3613 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:04 pm

I knooooow.
Budd. One time i was @ burger priest and asked for another burger patty on my cheese burger. Guy turned around and took 15 friggin minutes to add another burger patty... then he asked me for $5!!!
The nerve!!!! A mcdouble @ mcdonalds cost $1.39 and has 1 extra burger patties @ no extra cost...... why not burger priest?
What a bunch of turds...
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2494 posts
297 upvotes
Whitby
I guess the real question that needs to be answered is whether or not she was wearing a glove when she grabbed your nuts.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5728 posts
2915 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:57 am
A mcdouble @ mcdonalds cost $1.39 and has 1 extra burger patties
Here in Ottawa it is a lot more than that for a McDouble (I know that isn't the point of your post lol).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)